joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
philly/nyc 12z model suite

tombo82685

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fundamental problem, as forky details, is the blocking breakdown. Remember a few days ago how I talked about the Euro completely eroding the blocking? Well this is what most guidance is showing now as the ULL over the Northeast lifts north. The NAO actually spikes towards neutral if you look at the wavelength and upper level trough/ridge progression in the North Atlantic. This storm we are tracking may actually be the feature to really turn the tables and get the west based -NAO going. This is what most ensembles have been indicating for days now.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ENSHGTAVGNH_0z/f324.gif

See that little area of troughing in Northern New England and in SE Canada? That is an important feature that could prevent this from cutting inland if it strengthens:

gfs_500_126s.gif

that needs to be much, much more than a little area of troughing for us to see snow

The fundamental problem, as forky details, is the blocking breakdown. Remember a few days ago how I talked about the Euro completely eroding the blocking? Well this is what most guidance is showing now as the ULL over the Northeast lifts north. The NAO actually spikes towards neutral if you look at the wavelength and upper level trough/ridge progression in the North Atlantic. This storm we are tracking may actually be the feature to really turn the tables and get the west based -NAO going. This is what most ensembles have been indicating for days now.

http://www.meteo.psu...GNH_0z/f324.gif

So in a nut shell we are wet not white....and stuck shovling potential and not actual inches?

The blocking paradox: when we have it it's too strong and when we need it it's not strong enough. It's an 07-08 repeat

It's December 6th. Remember that. ;) I am not optimistic about this storm. But, it's early in the met winter. Plenty of time to go.

We will get ours at some point in December (I know sounds like an idiot, but its true). AFTER the this low cuts inland, it will develop a better block (see ECMWF, now I know it might be extreme on that run).

Whether its a nice 4 to 8 inches (which we will all take) or a 20 to 30 inch blizzard... (see last December).

But right now: Patience.

I love how all the cold air evacuates for about 18 hours, let's all the precip move through and comes right back with bitter cold.

Exactly what I was thinking! This has been a pretty consistent early winter stretch of cold weather, to be followed by a day or warmer air and rain, only to bring in an even colder air mass. Maybe the next wave of cold can provide some snow. If this interior cutting low can provide some blocking upstream, maybe that will be the difference maker. Very frustrating to say the least.

Archived