Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Remnants of Emily Part II: 295 Miles SSE Of Cape Hatteras, NC

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following from the previous thread, arc cloud is a shortening of the term arcus cloud, which does have a wikipedia article. This oversight has now been fixed within wikipedia.

Eventually downsloping winds from the islands are going to contribute to this already existent dry air problem....I wonder if it will ever get good conditions until its out to sea.

:lol:

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)

Transmitted: 2nd day of the month at 19:48Z

Aircraft: Air Force Aircraft (Last 3 digits of the tail number are 309)

Storm Number & Year: 05L in 2011

Storm Name: Emily (flight in the North Atlantic basin)

Mission Number: 6 seeall.png

Observation Number: 05

A. Time of Center Fix: 2nd day of the month at 19:10:10Z

B. Center Fix Coordinates: 15°39'N 65°13'W (15.65N 65.2167W) viewmap.png

B. Center Fix Location: 199 miles (320 km) to the SSE (164°) from San Juan, Puerto Rico (USA).

C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: Not Available

D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind: 27kts (~ 31.1mph)

E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind: 45 nautical miles (52 statute miles) to the ESE (121°) of center fix

F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 159° at 24kts (From the SSE at ~ 27.6mph)

G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 37 nautical miles (43 statute miles) to the ESE (117°) of center fix

H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 1005mb (29.68 inHg) - Extrapolated

I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 24°C (75°F) at a pressure alt. of 305m (1,001ft)

J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 24°C (75°F) at a pressure alt. of 300m (984ft)

K. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 20°C (68°F)

K. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available

L. Eye Character: Not Available

M. Eye Shape: Not Available

N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Wind and Pressure

N. Fix Levels (sfc and flt lvl centers are within 5nm of each other): Surface and 1,500 feet

O. Navigation Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles

O. Meteorological Accuracy: 2 nautical miles

Remarks Section:

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 51kts (~ 58.7mph) in the northeast quadrant at 17:35:10Z

Sea Level Pressure Extrapolation From: Below 1,500 feet

Maximum Flight Level Temp: 24°C (75°F) which was observed 12 nautical miles (14 statute miles) to the N (360°) from the flight level center

It's not funny though because it's expected. The center is displaced from the convection.

I think it's funny. Too many people are trying to put lipstick on a pig. Until it clears the Greater Antilles we'll continue to see weird and unimpressive recon data.

I think it's funny. Too many people are trying to put lipstick on a pig. Until it clears the Greater Antilles we'll continue to see weird and unimpressive recon data.

It looks fairly beautiful on the visible/IR and I think it has alot of potential. Just my two cents...

I've never seen a TC that looks so good on satellite and yet be so poor in surface (or near surface) observations.

No offense, but then you haven't been doing this very long. And a lot of them that behave like this seem to be in the eastern Caribbean - there's a reason why it's called the Graveyard.

Still as I said earlier, it does look better on satellite than it did, and that is better than it looking worse. It seems like the models are hinting at a more favorable environment once it clears the islands, and to be honest it seems like systems do better after Hispaniola if they don't have really well developed inner core versus if they do.

I agree. I think it's more likely that in 12 hours people will be jumping off bridges again as opposed to anything super positive.

No offense, but then you haven't been doing this very long. And a lot of them that behave like this seem to be in the eastern Caribbean - there's a reason why it's called the Graveyard.

Still as I said earlier, it does look better on satellite than it did, and that is better than it looking worse. It seems like the models are hinting at a more favorable environment once it clears the islands, and to be honest it seems like systems do better after Hispaniola if they don't have really well developed inner core versus if they do.

Nice post. The default setting in the eastern caribbean at this time of year is to pretty much always assume a storm will struggle.

Why is that?

Why is that?

Just a guess, but without a well developed center, it is easier to develop a new center if there isn't much of a pre-existing center that survived land. Isidore was similar after hitting the Yucatan. TDs seem to do better than hurricanes crossing the Yucatan as well.

In the interest of space, I have posted my updated Emily forecast/discussion on an outside blog.

Click here to view it

Right now am still expecting a recurve off the Florida/southeast coast. There continues to be no risk to the Mid Atlantic north of the Carolinas. Intensity is tough. Nearly steady intensity through landfall in Hispaniola seems like the way to go given the dry air/shear in place. After Hispaniola intensity is highly uncertain and dependent upon what state the system is in after moving over the island, but the GFS/ECM are trying to build a large upper level anti-cyclone off the southeast coast/over the Bahamas by the end of the week, which may favor re-strengthening north of the Greater Antilles.

Archived