wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Severe outbreak Monday 08/01

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn this storm has been going strong for like 45 minutes, sideways rain and lightning strikes all over the place. Lights flickered several times in a house I have only lost power in once (blackout) Pretty good for the CT shoreline, although no hail to speak of. Wind was going pretty good as well.

Didn't you say earlier this morning after Ryan cancelled CT storms due to a couple mid level clouds that today would fail?

3 inch diameter hail ion New Hyde park..smashed car windshields

>7C/KM lapse rates FTW. Those steep mid level lapse rates allows for the updrafts to accelerate right in that -10C to -20C layer for hail development. Boom. I think that storm fired along the seabreeze boundary too. Dews were higher there.

Maybe Mike has another siggy severe event under his belt.

>7C/KM lapse rates FTW. Those steep mid level lapse rates allows for the updrafts to accelerate right in that -10C to -20C layer for hail development. Boom. I think that storm fired along the seabreeze boundary too. Dews were higher there.

Maybe Mike has another siggy severe event under his belt.

Also had that pocket of 30 kt 0-6km winds in that area which really helped as well.

Also had that pocket of 30 kt 0-6km winds in that area which really helped as well.

Yeah it's possible that played a role too...though I'm not sure how true that lobe of winds were in the NYC area since it's based on a model forecast...but there could have been a lobe of stronger winds. The shear was a little better there in general which was one of the things we talked about this morning.

Yeah it's possible that played a role too...though I'm not sure how true that lobe of winds were in the NYC area since it's based on a model forecast...but there could have been a lobe of stronger winds. The shear was a little better there in general which was one of the things we talked about this morning.

It did appear there would be some localized pockets of stronger shear today, although I do agree, hard to gauge exactly how true that is...have to look at VAD data or something. If it was true it probably at least help with updraft/downdraft acceleration a bit which probably helped to prolong those storms a bit and potentially aid in the really large hail...helicity was shown to be a bit higher there as well.

I am at rockledge in west Hartford seeing some fantastic lightning to the west.....it is cc that is high enough in the storm where you can the silhouette of the cloud structure throughout the tower.....it really is sick....so far away too....

Pictures?

Amazing that you can see that stuff over the horizon even with Avon Mountain in the way...

Pictures?

Amazing that you can see that stuff over the horizon even with Avon Mountain in the way...

I wish iPhone could do it.....if I had a nice slr I would be taking time lapse photos.....it's perfect....my radar app is telling me those tops are up at 40k....the mountain is no match.....i'm looking right over uconn health center....this spot has always yielded good night shows to the west....I bet if you go outside you could probably see too....it's pretty high.....

Archived