• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Pittsburgh, PA Thread

....and it's not even a "top 10" storm due to that airport total.

It just depends on where you live. My personal largest snowstorm of all time is not even in Pittsburgh's top 10. I was in the perfect spot with that one!

LARGEST SNOW STORMS ON RECORD

27.4" November 24-26, 1950

25.9" December 16-18, 1890

25.3" March 12-14, 1993

21.1" February 5-6, 2010

18.5" January 8-9, 1886

18.0" January 8-9, 1884

17.8" February 18-21, 1927

16.3" March 3, 1942

16.3" February 13-14, 1940

15.6" January 12-13, 1964

15.1" February 16-18, 2003

GREATEST SNOWFALL IN ONE DAY

23.6" March 13, 1993

22.0" December 17, 1890

16.5" January 8, 1884

16.3" March 3, 1942

15.0" March 5, 1902

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skating rink out there folks, I coiuld not get out my relatively flat driveway, STAY HOME or STAY AT WORK! Ice and more ice. The 7th looks promising for us snow starved in W. Pa, the storm is still on the models so something worth looking at and with 50's coming uop a chance to get out take down the Xmas lights and for me split some more wood for the stove.

Skating rink out there folks, I coiuld not get out my relatively flat driveway, STAY HOME or STAY AT WORK! Ice and more ice. The 7th looks promising for us snow starved in W. Pa, the storm is still on the models so something worth looking at and with 50's coming uop a chance to get out take down the Xmas lights and for me split some more wood for the stove.

Yes my driveway was a sheet of ice. I just finished salting it. I do need to get out to an appointment so will be leaving soon.

My street was just salted and the good news is my temp has jumped from 29.0 to 31.4 in the last hour.

I hate freezing rain.

PennDOT must think the ZR is a credible threat. Just came in from near Pittsburgh International, and they've pre-treated 376...

Hopefully that helped, I know 376 near the mclaren rd exit can get pretty slick.

There seems to be a bit more dripping outside, so mabey these temps will be above freezing soon.

Man what a crappy week for weather, and to top it off after 3 weeks of good conditions for the winter classic, this saturday looks like the one day the weather will be no good.

Well my wife fell on the ice and broke her arm...Hopefully the possible snow holds off until the 8th. I am flying home from Vegas on the 7th..

Oh NO! Sorry to hear that. Man that hurts like hell slipping on the ice. I did that a few years ago, hit my head hard, 8 stiches and bled like a stuck pig.

I did the same thing when I was a teenager! I was late catching the bus in the morning, so as I was running down to my bus stop I slipped on a patch of ice and smacked my head against the gravel in my parents' driveway. I blacked out and got a concussion from it. I actually didn't bleed much but my head was swelled up like a balloon from the fall. That cured my tardiness anyway!

<br />53 degrees and stinkbugs are back.

Didn't take long to wake those annoying bugs back up. Maybe we can call tomorrow's game the "stinkbug classic" since it'll still be warm and they'll probably still be buzzing around. Just picture Sidney Crosby stick handling down the ice with a stinkbug on his helmet.

BTW, there's a report from the Washington Post that the NHL is meeting at 5:00 today to decide whether or not to push the game back to a later time tomorrow. Maybe 8:00 if the bulk of the rain is gone by then.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

PAZ021-012115-

ALLEGHENY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA

1027 AM EST SAT JAN 1 2011

.TODAY...SHOWERS. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 50S. SOUTH WINDS 5 TO

10 MPH. CHANCE OF RAIN NEAR 100 PERCENT.

.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS IN THE

EVENING. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S. WEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH. CHANCE

OF RAIN 50 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. COOLER WITH HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. WEST

WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY IN THE EVENING...THEN BECOMING

PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S. WEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH.

.MONDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. SOUTHWEST WINDS

AROUND 10 MPH.

.MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE MID

20S. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S.

I just thought this was worth saving for posterity, because you don't often see the entire work week's forecast condensed into 14 words...

I love it!...cause Im GOING to the game and would be drinking beer in a monsoon right now...NOT fun!...love the prime time start...looks like models are showing something for end week/weekend....we'll see!:snowman:

Thankfully the soaker moved on by fast enough. Hopefully at worst only a few showers will be around by 8pm, plus it's gonna be relatively comfortable with temps near 40 F.

Actually the NHL should do ok on this one, because there only semi- competition will be UCONN vs OU.

Going up against the NFL tomorrow, would have been a beat down in the national ratings.

Yep...gfs and ggem were both interesting.

0Z GFS gets interesting in the day 5 and 6 range. It looks like a southern system that clips us on the northern fringe.....then literally a clipper within the next 24 hours after that, that tries to become a Miller B for New England. I'm sure is won't play out exactly that way, but it does give 8 or 9" of snow in the period.

I just thought this was worth saving for posterity, because you don't often see the entire work week's forecast condensed into 14 words...

Wow, that's what they did back in the old days. You would hear extendeds on the weather radio pre-Internet days that would be like: Mostly cloudy with a chance of flurries Wednesday through Friday, highs in the 20s lows in the teens"

0Z GFS gets interesting in the day 5 and 6 range. It looks like a southern system that clips us on the northern fringe.....then literally a clipper within the next 24 hours after that, that tries to become a Miller B for New England. I'm sure is won't play out exactly that way, but it does give 8 or 9" of snow in the period.

Looks like the 12z GFS is losing the southern storm but the clipper is still there for later this week. If it holds we could be looking at a nice 1-3 or 2-4 inch clipper.

Still early though but getting closer.:snowman:

Looks like the 12z GFS is losing the southern storm but the clipper is still there for later this week. If it holds we could be looking at a nice 1-3 or 2-4 inch clipper.

Still early though but getting closer.:snowman:

Yeah looks like we could have some snow on the ground again by the weekend with some decent cold air hanging around. I have been off since Christmas Eve so having a lull in the weather actually forced me to get some projects around the house done rather than check the GFS every 6 hours but with vacation ending and a return to work I will welcome some more interesting weather.

Archived