• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Pittsburgh, PA Thread

KDKA John Burnett at halftime of 4pm NFL game said Big Storm coming for late in the week. I know there is some potential but are any models showing big storm for us? WTAE also mentioned 40% chance of accumulating snow Fri/Sat.

There looks to be a clipper later in the week that could bring us some snow but doesn't seem to be anything significant right now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's what they did back in the old days. You would hear extendeds on the weather radio pre-Internet days that would be like: Mostly cloudy with a chance of flurries Wednesday through Friday, highs in the 20s lows in the teens"

Yeah, I can remember when TWC had the weatherstar 3000 and junior (they still have the junior in some places), which was the local on the 8's in all text, and they had the extended forecasts like that.

KDKA John Burnett at halftime of 4pm NFL game said Big Storm coming for late in the week. I know there is some potential but are any models showing big storm for us? WTAE also mentioned 40% chance of accumulating snow Fri/Sat.

I think the translation there is potential direct hit from clipper which could be a 3 to 5 type storm

Considering that it is now 2011, I thought maybe the NWS would update the 30 year average snowfall. It is currently based on the calendar years 1971 through 2000. This would probably be updated for 1981 through 2010.

If my calculations are correct, the new number would be about 41.3", which would be slightly up from 40.6". A pretty nice "comeback" actually, considering the 70's were known for some brutal winters, and that is the period that would be dropping off with the new calculation. Also, there were a couple leaner years at the turn of the century. But overall the 2000's....at least statistically....were snowier than the 1970's, which would be the reason the 30 year average gets a small bump

That's kinda funny you say that, because at the time I had my back to the tv looking for something and i thought I heard him say that.

But since I don't have a DVR anymore I couldn't go back and check if he said big or bigger. lol

Now that im done rambling on, the 500 mb vort/ht map still looks somewhat interesting for late week, plus the 700mb RH is still moist.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

255 AM EST TUE JAN 4 2011

MDZ001-OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-068-069-PAZ007>009-013>016-020>023-

029-031-073>076-WVZ001>004-012-021>023-041-051100-

GARRETT-TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-

JEFFERSON OH-MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-NOBLE-MONROE-MERCER-VENANGO-

FOREST-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-CLARION-JEFFERSON PA-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-

ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-WASHINGTON-GREENE-WESTMORELAND-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-

FAYETTE-FAYETTE RIDGES-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-MARSHALL-WETZEL-MARION-

MONONGALIA-PRESTON-TUCKER-

255 AM EST TUE JAN 4 2011

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR WESTERN MARYLAND...EAST

CENTRAL OHIO...NORTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA...SOUTHWEST

PENNSYLVANIA...WEST CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...NORTHERN WEST VIRGINIA

AND NORTHERN PANHANDLE OF WEST VIRGINIA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

A COLD UPPER LOW DIGGING SOUTH ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES WILL BRING

PERIODS OF SNOW FOR THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY...WITH LAKE EFFECT

SNOW SHOWERS POSSIBLE FOR MUCH OF THE WEEKEND. ACCUMULATING SNOWS

ARE LIKELY...WITH SOME TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES POSSIBLE.

Looks like the GFS is showing a Miller B type setup on todays 12z run. At least we have something to look at as you mentioned.

I THINK, that we could at least be in line for a 1-3, 2-4 type event towards the end of the week...that is fine, just enough to rebuild the snow cover.

Then, maybe we can pull out a 6+ inch storm by the end of the month. I'm not going to get greedy, considering the forecast for January, with the way the Nina was projected, I feel any snow this month is a bonus...add to that the forecast looks to be busting and we might have some threats this year, which wasn't really expected.

Wow, it seems like the locals are actually pretty bullish for this event. Mike Harvey just said 2-3 inches by Friday morning. He said the snow would need shoveled off the driveway Friday Morning! :snowman:

Yeah I noticed WTAE has really been hyping it all day. KDKA was saying coating-inch thursday night and again friday.

Hey but the ratios with this snow is higher so, 3-6 inch or higher snow maybe possible in places, temps in the 10s to lower 20s

3-6 seems a bit high in my opinion and I still like 1-3 through Friday evening but we should have LES over the weekend so maybe some lucky folks get another 1 -2 inches through Sunday night depending how things set up.

Not to jump ahead especially considering we have a little event coming up tonight and then again something possible for early next week, but did anybody catch the Fantasy storm on the 6z GFS?

post-328-0-83897000-1294322693.gif

Powerful storm, with impressive cold air on the backside. Move that thing about 75 miles west and it would probably be a blizzard for our area. Just something neat to look at.

Not to jump ahead especially considering we have a little event coming up tonight and then again something possible for early next week, but did anybody catch the Fantasy storm on the 6z GFS?

post-328-0-83897000-1294322693.gif

Powerful storm, with impressive cold air on the backside. Move that thing about 75 miles west and it would probably be a blizzard for our area. Just something neat to look at.

That has been on the models for a few days now, the 12z yesterday showed us getting whalloped. I think this event 1-3" is about right more into the Laurels. Let's hope next weeks storm stays on the map.

That has been on the models for a few days now, the 12z yesterday showed us getting whalloped. I think this event 1-3" is about right more into the Laurels. Let's hope next weeks storm stays on the map.

Well on the 12z GFS today, it is still there but the timing looks even worse and the system heads further out to sea. Roller Coaster ride continues. :lol:

Well on the 12z GFS today, it is still there but the timing looks even worse and the system heads further out to sea. Roller Coaster ride continues. :lol:

Yes the ride continues. Where is the northwest trend when we need it. I hope this one doesn't just miss us again.

Looking forward to the current system. I already have about 1/4 inch from this morning and is snowing again. This is bonus snow as most wasn't supposed to start till early this evening. I think we will be looking at 2-4 total thru Saturday. Will be interesting to see what falls overnight which is when it will be at it's steadiest and heavies bursts.

Archived