NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

1040 PM EST THU JAN 6 2011

OHZ049-050-PAZ008-009-014>016-020>023-029-073>076-WVZ001-002-070530-

ALLEGHENY PA-ARMSTRONG PA-BEAVER PA-BROOKE WV-BUTLER PA-CLARION

PA-FAYETTE PA-FAYETTE RIDGES PA-FOREST PA-HANCOCK WV-HARRISON

OH-INDIANA PA-JEFFERSON PA-JEFFERSON OH-VENANGO PA-WASHINGTON

PA-WESTMORELAND PA-WESTMORELAND RIDGES PA-

1040 PM EST THU JAN 6 2011

...BAND OF SNOW SHOWERS TO MOVE THROUGH THE AREA...

SNOW SHOWERS TO MOVE THROUGH THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...

HARRISON...JEFFERSON...FAYETTE...ARMSTRONG...WASHINGTON...

ALLEGHENY...WESTMORELAND...BEAVER...INDIANA...BUTLER...VENANGO...

FOREST...CLARION...BROOKE...HANCOCK...WESTMORELAND RIDGES AND FAYETTE

RIDGES...

AT 1034 PM EST NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR IN PITTSBURGH

INDICATED SNOW SHOWERS ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 5 MILES NORTHEAST

OF VAN TO 6 MILES EAST OF EVANS CITY TO 3 MILES EAST OF SMITHFIELD...

MOVING EAST AT 25 MPH.

THIS LINE OF SNOW SHOWERS WILL DROP VISIBILITY BRIEFLY TO LESS THAN

A MILE AND MAY QUICKLY PUT A HALF, TO ONE INCH OF SNOW ON THE GROUND.

MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO SLOW DOWN AND EXPAND DISTANCE BETWEEN

VEHICLES. PLEASE REPORT SNOW AMOUNTS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER

SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL FREE...1-877-633-6772.

LAT...LON 4119 7871 4119 7877 4113 7880 4072 7880

4063 7884 4038 7898 4012 7917 4008 7926

3996 7935 4023 8092 4079 8005 4147 7964

4140 7908 4136 7908 4138 7896 4128 7875

4124 7873 4123 7870

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3-6 inches by later tomorrow, some snow bands may form overnight, the roads are terrible also

schools should be issuing delays

2 inches here on Allegheny/Butler County Line

Hah....not this again.

I have had heavy snow at times, but maybe an inch total, a little more maybe.

3-6 by tomorrow? No way.

Ok, just changed my mind...probably have close to two...I could see another inch tonight, then one inch tomorrow. Also, got some crappy video on my IPod I'll share tomorrow.

I had somewhere between 1.75 - 2 inches this morning when I woke up. Looking at Radar it looks like my house is under a band now so I should have a solid 2 by the time it wraps up this morning. Looks like we may get another shot tonight of about an inch. If that pans out Ill end up with 3 inches out of it which is the higher end of what I was expecting. Then all eyes will turn to the system next week.

I had somewhere between 1.75 - 2 inches this morning when I woke up. Looking at Radar it looks like my house is under a band now so I should have a solid 2 by the time it wraps up this morning. Looks like we may get another shot tonight of about an inch. If that pans out Ill end up with 3 inches out of it which is the higher end of what I was expecting. Then all eyes will turn to the system next week.

Just got a really good squall...only lasted like ten minutes, but dropped visibility to about a quarter mile and picked up a quick quarter inch.

Have about 2 total so nice little event.

Here is the video from last night...this is my first attempt, and its on an Ipod so I apologize for the poor quality. Just to gauge though, vis was probably about half to quarter mile at this point.

A Heavy snow shower is over me now. Big flakes and about 1/4 visibility. Looks isolated on radar but has put down about 1/2 inch of snow in 10 minutes.

Since there is only 1 isolated band on the radar right now probably safe to assume that is the same one I saw sitting over my house on radar earlier this morning. Man, I hate being at work and seeing nice returns over my hours on radar! lol

NAM still looks good for snow to start late this evening and last through early Sunday morning with another inch likely for most places I think.

Since there is only 1 isolated band on the radar right now probably safe to assume that is the same one I saw sitting over my house on radar earlier this morning. Man, I hate being at work and seeing nice returns over my hours on radar! lol

NAM still looks good for snow to start late this evening and last through early Sunday morning with another inch likely for most places I think.

Yes, it only lasted 15 minutes but it snowed harder than I have seen it this year. It snowed enough that I have to re-shovel my driveway again. I have a steep driveway so even 1/2 inch needs to be cleared off. The sun is shining now.

I think tomorrow will surprise a lot of people with another inch or two.

Next week we are still on the Northern edge of maybe 2-4 inches or nothing.

Yes, it only lasted 15 minutes but it snowed harder than I have seen it this year. It snowed enough that I have to re-shovel my driveway again. I have a steep driveway so even 1/2 inch needs to be cleared off. The sun is shining now.

I think tomorrow will surprise a lot of people with another inch or two.

Next week we are still on the Northern edge of maybe 2-4 inches or nothing.

Its going to be fun to watch Birmingham get a foot while we get 2 inchesgun_bandana.gif

Does anyone know if the accuWeather Pro gives you access to the ECMWF precip maps? I'm half tempted to sign up for the 30 day free trial just to get access to that stuff. Its $25 a month thereafter, to bad we couldn't all chip in some how and get access for DJF so we could get better info for our area. :lol:

From what others are saying, it looks like .30-.40 QPF with the storm next week on the 12z Euro...also, looks like good 12-15:1 ratios, so maybe a 4-6 type event...I'll take it.

I see light snow developing on radar to our southwest and moving in this direction. Is this part of the system moving in overnight? I am starting to already get some very light flakes.My link

LOL...

Pittsburgh rush hour rule looks to be in full force...yesterday morning's rush, snow...last night's rush, snow.....tonight, snow.

If that's true, it's nice to have the Euro hinting at something significant....but we do have to be cautious of it's bias.

Is its bias being too slow with the shortwave? If that is the case, I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have because we would be getting most of our precip from the next event with the northern stream energy.

LOL...

Pittsburgh rush hour rule looks to be in full force...yesterday morning's rush, snow...last night's rush, snow.....tonight, snow.

Nothing will ever match Jan 4, 1994. That's the granddaddy of all rush hour clustermesses with snow in Pittsburgh. 3" hour rates right at the heart of rush hour. Fortunately I got to stay home sick that day and enjoy the fiasco from my living room. Beat being stuck on the Fort Pitt Bridge or in the Liberty Tubes.

I can already feel my Pittsburgh AMWX peeps who remember it starting to swoon. That was wild stuff.

18z next 24 HR's

post-1925-0-24253600-1294430625.gif

12z in the same time frame

post-1925-0-11302500-1294430631.gif

Much wetter, and a nice nudge north...I'm starting to think we get a surprise advisory level event? Anyone remember that upsloping/over running event like two years ago where we were forecasted to get maybe 1-3 but areas got like 6-8 inches? Could this possibly be the same sort of set up, or am I totally off base?

Nothing will ever match Jan 4, 1994. That's the granddaddy of all rush hour clustermesses with snow in Pittsburgh. 3" hour rates right at the heart of rush hour. Fortunately I got to stay home sick that day and enjoy the fiasco from my living room. Beat being stuck on the Fort Pitt Bridge or in the Liberty Tubes.

I can already feel my Pittsburgh AMWX peeps who remember it starting to swoon. That was wild stuff.

Hah...

Feb 5-6 was terrible last year...started really coming down at 1-2 inches an hour around 4 and it was a nightmare on the roads.

I think I remember Jan 4 1994...I remember my dad not getting home till about 8 at night because his boss made him stay.

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

934 PM EST FRI JAN 7 2011

OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-068-069-PAZ007>009-013>016-020>023-029-

031-073-075-WVZ001>004-012-021-022-080515-

TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-

MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-NOBLE-MONROE-MERCER-VENANGO-FOREST-

LAWRENCE-BUTLER-CLARION-JEFFERSON PA-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-

INDIANA-WASHINGTON-GREENE-WESTMORELAND-FAYETTE-HANCOCK-BROOKE-

OHIO-MARSHALL-WETZEL-MARION-MONONGALIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...DOVER...

UHRICHSVILLE...CARROLLTON...EAST LIVERPOOL...SALEM...COLUMBIANA...

EAST PALESTINE...WELLSVILLE...CALCUTTA...COSHOCTON...CADIZ...

HOPEDALE...STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...

MARTINS FERRY...ST. CLAIRSVILLE...BELLAIRE...BARNESVILLE...

SHADYSIDE...BRIDGEPORT...CALDWELL...WOODSFIELD...SHARON...

HERMITAGE...GROVE CITY...GREENVILLE...FARRELL...OIL CITY...

FRANKLIN...SUGARCREEK...TIONESTA...NEW CASTLE...ELLWOOD CITY...

BUTLER...ZELIENOPLE...CLARION...PUNXSUTAWNEY...BROOKVILLE...

REYNOLDSVILLE...BROCKWAY...ALIQUIPPA...BEAVER FALLS...AMBRIDGE...

MONACA...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...

FORD CITY...LEECHBURG...FREEPORT...APOLLO...INDIANA...

WASHINGTON...CANONSBURG...DONORA...CALIFORNIA...CHARLEROI...

MONONGAHELA...MCMURRAY...WAYNESBURG...FAIRDALE...GREENSBURG...

NEW KENSINGTON...JEANNETTE...LATROBE...MONESSEN...UNIONTOWN...

CONNELLSVILLE...POINT MARION...TORONTO...WEIRTON...WHEELING...

MOUNDSVILLE...NEW MARTINSVILLE...FAIRMONT...MORGANTOWN

934 PM EST FRI JAN 7 2011

...SNOW WILL AGAIN PERSIST THROUGH THE NIGHT...

AREAS OF LIGHT, TO OCCASIONALLY MODERATE SNOW WILL CONTINUE

THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. SNOW ACCUMULATION IS FORECAST AT ONE

TO TWO INCHES AT MOST LOCATIONS. THIS AMOUNT OF SNOW IS MORE THAN SUFFICIENT

TO COVER AND ICE ROADS, ESPECIALLY BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES. UNTREATED

SIDEWALKS MAY BECOME HAZARDOUS.

MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO SLOW DOWN, EXPAND DISTANCE BETWEEN

VEHICLES, AND TO USE EXTRA CAUTION WHEN PASSING. PEDESTRIANS

SHOULD BE ESPECIALLY CAREFUL WHEN NEGOTIATING UNTREATED SIDEWALKS.

MORE SNOW SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED THROUGH SATURDAY. IF ANYONE WOULD

LIKE TO REPORT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER

SERVICE, CALL OUR AUTOMATED DATA ENTRY LINE TOLL

FREE AT 1-877-633-6772.

$$

12z Nam is now showing light-moderate snow moving in hour 84. If GFS increases qpf and other models continue to catch on, we could be looking at a nice little storm here on Tues-Wed.:snowman:

It looks like I got about another inch or two overnight. Haven't been out to shovel yet.

Just shoveled. More like two.

12z Nam is now showing light-moderate snow moving in hour 84. If GFS increases qpf and other models continue to catch on, we could be looking at a nice little storm here on Tues-Wed.:snowman:

It looks like I got about another inch or two overnight. Haven't been out to shovel yet.

Yeah, about what I got as well...really nice light fluffy snow. I would say for the whole event I am up to 4-5 inches, and might add on another 1-2, so not a bad little event at all.

I picked up about 2.25 overnight.

So far the GFS is still the weaker outlier from what everyone is saying. NAM looks good. Hopefully all the other models remain similar to the NAM with the double barrel low setup.

I picked up about 2.25 overnight.

So far the GFS is still the weaker outlier from what everyone is saying. NAM looks good. Hopefully all the other models remain similar to the NAM with the double barrel low setup.

This storm is looking pretty good, i think it might be stronger than what the models are showing but we are in a good spot for this storm overall, it's not like mixing is an issue with the freezing line the whole into the south, lol

This storm is looking pretty good, i think it might be stronger than what the models are showing but we are in a good spot for this storm overall, it's not like mixing is an issue with the freezing line the whole into the south, lol

Yes, as of now we could be looking at a nice 3-6 inch snowfall on Tues-Tues night. Nice to see both GFS and NAM a little wetter each run.

Yes, as of now we could be looking at a nice 3-6 inch snowfall on Tues-Tues night. Nice to see both GFS and NAM a little wetter each run.

Yeah, the OV low is really doing the trick for us on the latest model runs. Hopefully it bowls right across to the coast as shown before it transfers. Probably have some wiggle room in the track north or south a bit too. Its weak enough / combined with the coastal that we should not have precip issues. If it trends stronger though it could get a little hairy I think.

Archived