Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2010/12/05 12Z Guidance Discussion

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dr No, thank you for following procedure.

We will be trying to get members to discuss the model runs in the general forum. This will make things easier to read for ALL members. We ask members to read the pinned announcement and follow through.

Also, this thread is strictly for model analysis and discussion. All banter and cross talk will be removed.

132 hours the low is near SSM Michigan and the trough has not really dug that much. Looks like BOS and NYC have boundary layer issues. Not surprising with the low so far north. 850 temps are below freezing so those interested will have to look closely at the soundings to see how deep the above freezing temps get near the surface.

132 hours the low is near SSM Michigan and the trough has not really dug that much. Looks like BOS and NYC have boundary layer issues. Not surprising with the low so far north. 850 temps are below freezing so those interested will have to look closely at the soundings to see how deep the above freezing temps get near the surface.

OK, see that is why I don't do the analysis, I will let you. :)

Looking at H5 at 168, the energy from the s/w that would be the storm in the 12-14th December time frame looks a little dampened compared to previous guidance. The trough is not allowing it to dig, and the flow is faster, causing a broader trough.. Need the trough to sharpen quickly if we want this thing to come up the coast, it might just be doable.

At 156 hours there's a wave somewhere near mo or IL. It's kind of interesting as ridging has developed near the west coast. If that ridging moves east and the trough east of it continues to dig. Things could get interesting with the MO wave. Its acting sort of like a clipper with the low going into the OH valley by 168 hr before reforming off the east coast south of DC at 174 hrs. . The original track messes up the boundary layer temps making them on the warm side for dca. the trough is much less amplified than last night.

plz try to be more specific in the future... i have (and im sure others as well) no clue where that is.

Eastern NC! outerbanks.

Here's a comparison between the GFS from 0^Z and today's with the trough. The evolution towards are miller b that doesn't do much for here and PHL is pretty much in keeping with the superensemble mean pattern and analogs. There also isn't a real 50 50 low to hold in the cold for us prior to the event. Hence the low level warming. If the model were correct, we could see the rain change to wet snow at the end of the storm but it wouldn't be a biggy.

Last night's 500h that generated the exciting storm.

post-70-0-66609600-1291567113.gif

Today's run.

post-70-0-96508800-1291567150.gif

The one thing the system does have going for it is we almost pop and postive PNA for a short period.

ok, but this is a model thread.:P

Yeah- but I like the fact that the trend began on schedule. As for the models... look at the south bias from last year and see if it continues. Last night's snow looked much farther north than the GFS projection for this clipper. The Canadian did was closer and tends to handle these shortwaves better.

I'm just saying - in the east, watch that trend again. It did burn us or benefit us in Baltimore last year a few times.

Eastern NC! outerbanks.

Here's a comparison between the GFS from 0^Z and today's with the trough. The evolution towards are miller b that doesn't do much for here and PHL is pretty much in keeping with the superensemble mean pattern and analogs. There also isn't a real 50 50 low to hold in the cold for us prior to the event. Hence the low level warming. If the model were correct, we could see the rain change to wet snow at the end of the storm but it wouldn't be a biggy.

i guess i could have pulled up a map. but a ref we all know off the top of our heads would of course be simplest. ;)

thx for your analysis, wes.

i think even with this solution not being as good as recent ones further south it's still good to see that there is *something* there. on that level at least it seems there might be some confidence growing.

Archived