Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Heavy Rain Threat 7/21-7/24

A-L-E-K

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this thread has delivered, i was out and about but checking in on my phone all night, but we really got smoked for a period there with some serious bangers, some of my favorite weather, deep convection, little chance of severe. Our drought lasted about 2 days and the despite the initial flash flood, the ground is soaking things up nicely. Looks like another band of showers with some intense convection will push through before the llj retreats for the day. After that, things get less clear as the front has become muddy and there's a lot of mesoscale features in play, but another round tonights, maybe even two are possible. .

Better hope the next round(s) doesn't train over the same area. Don't even want to think about what kind of problems there would be.

All Chicago beaches are CLOSED for swimming. Ban may extend into tmrw & nxt week...

At least the pollution washing rains held off until after the torch.. monday will be cool in the upper 70's so not the greatest of beach days anyways and hopefully they open back up in time for the next swamp azz intrusion later in the week.

Definitely starting to feel more and more like that flood event from last summer.. July I think?

Haha Damn.. Exactly one year ago to this date we had the same flooding rains. Eerily similar. Crazy how that goes...

Some totals from that one...

Storm reports from overnight 7/23/10-7/24/10:

- Elk Grove Village: 6.98" since 10:30pm

- Des Plaines, IL: 5.19" of rain

- Geneva, IL: 4.93" of rain

- Sycamore, IL: Many roads closed in town due to flooding

- Freeport, IL: 6" of rain fell in 24 hours

July 24, 2010

file27.png

Rainfall map from overnight storms. Over 10 inches of rain fell in northwest Illinois. 4-8 inches fell over a good portion of the Chicago area.

rainmap.png

http://www.examiner....y-storm-reports

From Skilling's weatherblog...a very interesting statistic...

Today will go down as the wettest calandar day in Chicago weather history

July 23, 2011 7:36 AM | No Comments Overnight rains that approached 7 inches over northern Cook County broke several impressive Chicago records. 6.91" of precipitation has been measured at O'Hare International Airport since Midnight making today, Chicago's wettest calandar day in modern weather history.

Chicago's top 3 wettest calendar days

1) 6.91" today

2) 6.64" September 13, 2008

3) 6.49" August 14, 1987

LOT and DVN went with a FFW along and north of I-80.

LOT mentions several possible areas to watch, most notably another MCS moving in from Iowa

THE HEAVY RAIN THREAT IS VERY HIGH ACROSS NORTHERN ILLINOIS AND

NORTHWEST INDIANA AGAIN TONIGHT....

OTHERWISE...THE OTHER CONCERNING AREA OF CONVECTION WILL BE ANOTHER

POTENTIAL MCS THAT WILL DEVELOP ACROSS SOUTHERN MN/NORTHERN IA

NEAR THE SURFACE LOW/COLD FRONT LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

THIS MCS COULD MAKE A RUN SOUTHEAST ACROSS SOUTHERN WI AND NORTHERN

ILLINOIS LATER TONIGHT. A WEST/SOUTHWESTERLY LOW LEVEL JET WILL

CONTINUE TO PRODUCE DECENT ISENTROPIC ASCENT ACROSS THE AREA. THIS

SHOULD HELP MAINTAIN ANY CONVECTION THAT DOES DEVELOP THIS EVENING.

THIS MCS WOULD AGAIN LIKELY PRODUCE VERY HEAVY RAIN ALONG WITH THE

POTENTIAL FOR SOME STRONG WINDS.

SHOULD THIS MCS MATERIALIZE THERE COULD BE SOME AREAS ACROSS

NORTHERN ILLINOIS THAT RECEIVE ANOTHER FEW INCHES OF RAIN. THIS

COULD RESULT IN AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS SITUATION GIVEN THE FLOODING

THAT HAS ALREADY OCCURRED ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE AREA.

Given the heavy rain Friday night at O'Hare we now have this observation from LOT. The pendulum does swing.

WITH 8.86 INCHES OF RAIN FOR THE MONTH THROUGH 100 PM

TODAY...JULY 2011 HAS SURPASSED JULY 2010 TO MOVE INTO THIRD PLACE

AMONGST ALL TIME WETTEST JULYS. 8.84 INCHES FELL IN JULY 2010.

NUMBER 2 ON THE LIST IS JULY 1957 WITH 8.98 INCHES. THE ALL TIME

RAINIEST JULY OCCURRED ALL THE WAY BACK IN 1889 WITH 9.56 INCHES

OF RAINFALL. WITH A WEEK STILL LEFT IN JULY...IT IS REASONABLE TO

STATE THAT JULY 2011 COULD POTENTIALLY END UP AS THE WETTEST JULY

ON RECORD IN CHICAGO...PERHAPS AS SOON AS TONIGHT OR TOMORROW.

STAY TUNED.

Storms are now forming over northern Newton and Jasper Counties IN just like they did last night when DeMotte picked up 6 inches of rain. SPC has a meso out for heavy rain from my area eastward into OH. Storms formed just to the east of me by a few miles this afternoon and I managed to still stay dry.

it's already over a pretty urban area, dumping and not moving fast. We're going to see 5"+ amounts tonight.

The light show is out of this world, classic roof top drinking weather.

Isn't Midwest weather amazing? I was just looking back at TWC footage from the June 2008 floods that hit Iowa, Wisconsin and Indiana especially hard. Most areas in S Wisconsin received over 10 inches of rain in the first half of the month, with some areas receiving close to 20 for the month.

it's already over a pretty urban area, dumping and not moving fast. We're going to see 5"+ amounts tonight.

The light show is out of this world, classic roof top drinking weather.

Yeah, good point. Although the city itself did receive more rain than say areas like Plainfield or Joliet did last night. This might just end up balancing the areas that missed out. Would however love to see it roll over an ASOS site.

Yeah, good point. Although the city itself did receive more rain than say areas like Plainfield or Joliet did last night. This might just end up balancing the areas that missed out. Would however love to see it roll over an ASOS site.

Hard to say exactly how it unfolds, we have a board member or two in the south suburbs, including TimChgo9.

FWIW looks like MCS will drop into the area from WI around dawn.

This would be bad if it maintained some modest strength

Don't worry. If it doesn't sap its energy out in the next few hours, Milwaukee and SE Wisconsin will do the work for ORD. In all seriousness, I'll bet there are a lot of upset Chicagoans, precisely b/c most of them probably wanted some rain, and now they have the opposite problem. I feel sorry for those who think "Can anything go right?"

Don't worry. If it doesn't sap its energy out in the next few hours, Milwaukee and SE Wisconsin will do the work for ORD. In all seriousness, I'll bet there are a lot of upset Chicagoans, precisely b/c most of them probably wanted some rain, and now they have the opposite problem. I feel sorry for those who think "Can anything go right?"

I think we get the point that you think Eastern Wisconsin is some sort of desert...

I think we get the point that you think Eastern Wisconsin is some sort of desert...

No, that comment was disregarding my qualms about missing the rain. In order to get to Chicago it's going to have to pass through parts of the southern portion of the state. Maybe I should move to the desert. These nickel and dime events would be like flooding rains to them.

Archived