• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Heavy Rain Threat 7/21-7/24

A-L-E-K

I decided to break this off from the main July thread because it has been so dry and LOT is mentioning some possible extreme totals and because there doesn't appear to be much of a wind/hail/tor threat associated, so no sense clogging that thread.'

Early impressions from the July thread.

Did some looking around and the 0z 4km WRF seems to have a decent handle on the on going action and blows up a really efficent slow moving w/e MCS from central Iowa into southern Wisconsin, slowly drifting south into extreme northern Illinois. Confidence is growing that there will be a stripe of 2"+ from northeast Iowa to MKE. Possible the target area shifts south some but probably not north.

snippet from LOT

SYNOPTICALY SPEAKING

SEVERAL INGREDIENTS APPEAR TO BE LINING UP TONIGHT FOR A LOCALIZED

(BUT POTENTIALLY VERY SIGNIFICANT) HEAVY RAINFALL EVENT INCLUDING:

1) VEERING LOW LEVEL JET EVENTUALLY ALIGNING ITSELF WITH MID-

UPPER LEVEL FLOW AS WELL AS THE FRONT

2) POOLING OF NEAR 80F DEW POINTS/PWATS 2.25"+

3) LOW LCLS AND VERY HIGH FREEZING LEVELS SUPPORT VERY EFFICIENT

RAINFALL RATES

WHILE ALL OF THESE THINGS SCREAM POTENTIAL FOR LOCALIZED RAINFALL

TOTALS IN EXCESS OF 5"+...THERE ARE STILL MANY HUGE "IF`S".

FIRST...ALL OF THIS WILL HINGE ON ACTUAL MCS DEVELOPMENT TAKING

PLACE AS THE MODELS SUGGEST. ASSUMING THIS OCCURS...QUESTION WILL

THEN BE WHERE WILL THE THREAT BE GREATEST. BEST GUESS NOW IS THAT

THREAT WILL BE GREATEST OVER NORTHWEST CWA...AND PROBABLY GREATER

FARTHER NORTH AND WEST THAN THAT INTO SW WI OR EVEN IOWA. WITH SO

MUCH UNCERTAINTY JUST PLAN TO HIGHLIGHT HEAVY RAIN POTENTIAL IN

HWO AND MENTION HEAVY RAIN IN ZFP/GRIDS OVER NW CWA.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, convection seems to be starting in Iowa as expected. Curious why you think the target area cannot shift north.

Because model agreement on the front becoming quasi stationary over northern Illinois is pretty good, that places far northern Illinois into southern Wisconsin as the target zone. Current thinking is to favor southern Wisconsin between the border and 94. And obviously i'm talking about the area most likely for training/backbuilding convection areas north would still get wet. If convection is deep enough, thing could slide as far south as Chicago by Friday moring, but confidence is lower.

This is all conditional on the MCS actually materializing of course.

Because model agreement on the front becoming quasi stationary over northern Illinois is pretty good, that places far northern Illinois into southern Wisconsin as the target zone. Current thinking is to favor southern Wisconsin between the border and 94. And obviously i'm talking about the area most likely for training/backbuilding convection areas north would still get wet. If convection is deep enough, thing could slide as far south as Chicago by Friday moring, but confidence is lower.

This is all conditional on the MCS actually materializing of course.

Last nights euro agrees pretty much.. has the heaviest amounts from rockford to LM with .5-1"

A strong, but not severe, thunderstorm in extreme SW Wisconsin. I wonder if this area of convection will try to make it into SE Wisconsin/NE Illinois this afternoon.

Unlikely, as the dynamic environment is getting less and less favorable for that cell as it heads east, anything that fires in the area this afternoon / early evening will be widely scattered and likely south of I80. Your show will come late tonight into Friday morning with the possible MCS that fires this evening over Central or Eastern Iowa.

The NAM's the model that puts S Wisconsin in the crosshairs of the heavy rain event. Although it's been consistent, I'm very hesitant when the NAM's on its own.

lol NAM went from 2" at 12z to basically nothing at 18z.. Not sure what the new NAM shows I just looked at he regular old one.

euro gives us .25"+ .50+" south and west. I'm not expecting jack but will hope for the best over the weekend.

lol NAM went from 2" at 12z to basically nothing at 18z.. Not sure what the new NAM shows I just looked at he regular old one.

euro gives us .25"+ .50+" south and west. I'm not expecting jack but will hope for the best over the weekend.

I think the emphasis has slightly shifted from a heavy rain threat to a potential severe threat. We all know how that story goes around here, though.:whistle:

Slow moving cells gathering strength over iowa / western illinois, moving ene, looks good for the i80/i88 corridore

pulling back the carpet in the basement. Saw this same scenario about one year ago... atmosphere is juiced!

http://www.nola.com/..._chicago_a.html

guess some would love to see this again...not me......

inch or two too restore the deficit would be phenomenal. No severe. Just a good solid downpour.

latest LOT disc...

HOWEVER...

GUIDANCE SUGGESTS REDEVELOPMENT OF ELEVATED CONVECTION ACROSS

EASTERN IOWA BEYOND 06Z AND SHIFTS THAT EAST ACROSS NORTHERN IL

TOWARD MORNING. BASED ON THESE TRENDS...HAVE INCREASED POPS THIS

EVENING ALONG THE FRONT OVER WESTERN CWA...AND HAVE MAINTAINED THE

HIGHER POPS ACROSS THE NORTHWEST IN THE 06Z-12Z TIME.

seems to target the west and northwest zones. Not very clear or precise. IMO

Flood headlines for Lake and McHenry.

Skies darkening pretty quick now with line approacing from the west. Should be all too siginificant, but 1/3-1/2 inch of rain is much needed. It may also help to hold up the boundary to the south and keep rain chances alive into the evening.

nice looking elevated line pushing into the city, very dark skies.

EDIT: looks like the potential for 1 or more MCS across the area this weekend, so i'll ammend this thread and keep it alive as a catch all for non-severe MCS related discussion.

Wall of rain appears a couple miles west and closing in.

Nice to the south and pretty meh here like the euro was advertising.. enough to rinse the grass and about .25" tops I would guess... Hopefully the euro is real close again with the next round and we can get around .75" and more to the north.

I would have to guess it's more like a half inch. Kenosha County has received 1 to 2 inches, with another inch or so on the way, so it's hard for me to think it was a quarter inch at best. Honestly, rain without big thunderstorms are much needed. There might be chances for bigger thunderstorms overnight tonight and perhaps Sunday.

I'm happy we'll at least get some rain, maybe a half inch to an inch in spots.

Kenosha might end up around 1.50" give or take some. i doubt me or you even got .25" Euro was right on the money with LOT and this being an i-88 to kenosha special. Alek was all over this one nicely, too.

I would have to guess it's more like a half inch. Kenosha County has received 1 to 2 inches, with another inch or so on the way, so it's hard for me to think it was a quarter inch at best. Honestly, rain without big thunderstorms are much needed. There might be chances for bigger thunderstorms overnight tonight and perhaps Sunday.

Maybe it was different by you but I doubt it.. 2 hrs of very light rain does not make .50" Very light rain keeps hanging on for dear life here the last 40 mins.

Archived