• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
4 seasons climate of the midwest

This just randomly popped in my head on a hot day earlier this week, I was thinking about how, as much as I hate the heat/humidity, it is nice to live in a place with 4 real seasons, and obviously the entire midwest is a 4-seasons climate. But which area would you consider most TEXTBOOK for the 4 seasons? Note this is NOT what is your dream climate, and it is NOT what place has the most extreme weather. It is what areas climo is the most textbook for 4 seasons? When adding all the factors together from weather to timing of foliage, I would say its southwest MI. (My dream climate, fwiw, would be the snowbelt in the U.P.). After usually a few teases of snow in November, winter setting in during December. Snow covers the ground much of the time over the next several months and snowfall is usually frequent, synoptic and LES. Spring, while not always the best weather, never disappoints in turning the gray, brown winter landscape to a lush green, with the trees blossoming from late April to early May. Summer is warm with plenty of hot and humid days to swim and such, but a heatwave is usually short in duration and there are several comfortable days, a luxury much of the country doesnt have. Fall color starts to dot the landscape in September and is at its peak in mid-late October, the sunny days and crisp nights generally the favorite time of the year for much of the public, and the fall colors are usually spectacular. The trees quickly go bare around Halloween, and we do it all over again. Obviously just about the same exists in Milwaukee, Chicago, and Detroit, the only difference being not as much LES. Im curious as to the thoughts of others?

I've come to realize its tough to beat MKE for location living in the southern MW as I would call it.. Can snowmobile from my parents house in Franklin (MKE County) to Illinois but who would want to :P Can ride all the way to the UP, how cool would that trip be..

little over an HR drive to beautiful Chicago by car. 2 hrs to GB, 3.5 hrs to beautiful SW WI. 4.5 hrs, to gods country or MSP... 5 hrs or so to Indy. 6 hrs to the UP and start of JD country. Louisville 6.5 hrs.

As said above centrally located to just a small sample of great areas in and out of state. Summer time there is Lake MI and tons of quality inland lakes close. Festival Season can't be beat. Park system just in MKE alone is amazing. Golfing is world class along with the trout fishing in LM.

Fall speaks for itself in WI along with other area's of the MW/GL

Spring can suck at times if you live close to the lake but I love it and its just a short drive to the 70's while we're in the 50's and 60's

I've come to realize its tough to beat MKE for location living in the southern MW as I would call it.. Can snowmobile from my parents house in Franklin (MKE County) to Illinois but who would want to :P Can ride all the way to the UP, how cool would that trip be..

little over an HR drive to beautiful Chicago by car. 2 hrs to GB, 3.5 hrs to beautiful SW WI. 4.5 hrs, to gods country or MSP... 5 hrs or so to Indy. 6 hrs to the UP and start of JD country. Louisville 6.5 hrs.

As said above centrally located to just a small sample of great areas in and out of state. Summer time there is Lake MI and tons of quality inland lakes close. Festival Season can't be beat. Park system just in MKE alone is amazing. Golfing is world class along with the trout fishing in LM.

Spring can suck at times if you live close to the lake but I love it and its just a short drive to the 70's while we're in the 50's and 60's

Yeah. As much as we all can get frustrated when the weather doesnt go our way, really MKE, DTW, etc is the PERFECT place for 4 seasons. Even if the WEATHER is crummy in Fall/Spring (the old "we go right from winter to summer" or vice versa saying we hear every year), the foliage doesnt disappoint. Summer is hot, no its not hot all the time, but usually its plenty hot a majority of the time to do outdoor summer activities, including those that involve being in the water. Just like winter, snow is usually not on the ground ALL the time (this winter was a beautiful exception), but it is a majority of the time, so plenty of time to do outdoor sledding, skiing, etc.

But again, when it comes to preference, i cant imagine a more perfect place than the snowbelt near Marquette. Buried in snow for 5 months and while it short, they DO indeed have a summer, complete with a few days in the 90s for good measure. And Fall probably the most breathtaking of all.

You know, I generally agree, and for all the complaining I have done this spring, it was an exceptionally cloudy and cool spring, so normally I can't complain about the

Wisconsin climate as a weather buff. We get a little of just about every type of weather except for hurricanes (which is a good thing). We get excessive cold, excessive heat (occasionally), snow, heavy rain events, severe weather outbreaks, stretches of perfect weather, etc. In terms of most extreme, I think SW Wisconsin can be pretty extreme, and it makes sense with the hilly terrain. It seems the SW and Central portions of the state get more heavy snowfall events, and at least this year, have had more severe weather, not to mention more extreme temperatures.

I'd say northern Indiana is pretty much the quintessential midwest location. Lots of films have been set there (off the top of my head, this includes Home Alone, A Christmas Story, Rudy), although they probably weren't actually filmed there.

You know, I generally agree, and for all the complaining I have done this spring, it was an exceptionally cloudy and cool spring, so normally I can't complain about the

Wisconsin climate as a weather buff. We get a little of just about every type of weather except for hurricanes (which is a good thing). We get excessive cold, excessive heat (occasionally), snow, heavy rain events, severe weather outbreaks, stretches of perfect weather, etc. In terms of most extreme, I think SW Wisconsin can be pretty extreme, and it makes sense with the hilly terrain. It seems the SW and Central portions of the state get more heavy snowfall events, and at least this year, have had more severe weather, not to mention more extreme temperatures.

I, agree.. we get a little bit of everything and just the right amounts of it to make it a very tolerable climate for the 4 seasons lover.

I could pick better places for my love of snow pack and annual snowfall.. But I'm to young yet to move permanently away from the city life and live with the wildlife. And of all the bigger cities in the MW there is not a one that can meet all of my wants including MKE, but MKE is definitely the closest. For a normal person that loves the 4 seasons equally, without the extreme cold of MSP and the heat of south of the border.. MKE and surrounding county's are the best IMO. With that said of course I'm a homer for my city and this is where 80% of my family lives so there is going to a bias lol.. But I do believe 100% of what I said.. There is not a major city in the MW that can do me better weather and location wise.

I'd say northern Indiana is pretty much the quintessential midwest location. Lots of films have been set there (off the top of my head, this includes Home Alone, A Christmas Story, Rudy), although they probably weren't actually filmed there.

Home Alone was set in Illinois. A Christmas Story was actually filmed in Canada, I believe.

Personally when I think of a textbook four season climate, I would think of Eastern Nebraska or Western Iowa. Particularly the Omaha area. Average high is 32 degrees during the winter and their average high in July gets close to 90 degrees.

Yeah.. I'll politely pass on Omaha. I would probably pick Indy over Omaha if I had to choose from crap.

Yeah.. I'll politely pass on Omaha.

Yeah, another reason why I would prefer somewhere like MKE vs. STL or KC: you get severe weather without being in such a tornado prone region. If I lived in a small city or town in the heart of Tornado Alley, despite my interest in severe weather, I probably would be legitimately nervous and anxious during severe weather season. Although tornadoes can occur around here, they're rarely F4 or F5.

Yeah, another reason why I would prefer somewhere like MKE vs. STL or KC: you get severe weather without being in such a tornado prone region. If I lived in a small city or town in the heart of Tornado Alley, despite my interest in severe weather, I probably would be legitimately nervous and anxious during severe weather season. Although tornadoes can occur around here, they're rarely F4 or F5.

Severe weather scares the **** out of me lol. We get just enough to keep the ticker in line and fill my little like in it. Way to dam hot down there in summer and winter.. Not sure what it would take for me to move to either st louis or KC.

Joplin this year.

Can't beat a 19" blizzard in Feb, EF-5 tornado in May, and record breaking 106 degree temps in Summer.

I can't wait for fall, minus the severe weather, lol

The problem is, we can have all 4 seasons in a day. I've been under a tornado watch and winter storm warning at the same time before. Warm temps, followed by springlike weather with a squall line that pushes through making it feel more like the cool crisp fall evenings, followed by snow that night.

I'd also go with the southern Lakes. Josh mentioned southwest MI earlier. I think you can also extend that into the northern Indiana snowbelt. I think the area around Michigan City/South Bend is about as good as it gets for balance/variety of wx.

Joplin this year.

Can't beat a 19" blizzard in Feb, EF-5 tornado in May, and record breaking 106 degree temps in Summer.

I can't wait for fall, minus the severe weather, lol

The problem is, we can have all 4 seasons in a day. I've been under a tornado watch and winter storm warning at the same time before. Warm temps, followed by springlike weather with a squall line that pushes through making it feel more like the cool crisp fall evenings, followed by snow that night.

About as extreme as you can get, right there.

Home Alone was set in Illinois. A Christmas Story was actually filmed in Canada, I believe.

The 3rd one was in Chicago.. I always remember the snowstorm that happened in the movie.. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

5:09

http://www.youtube.c...tailpage#t=308s

I'd go with Iowa. Smack dab in the middle of the country and usually gets some of the nastiest severe wx and the killer blizzards during the winter with the open land.

That's weird. Why does Kevin refer to somebody as the South Bend Slasher? I assumed it was set in South Bend.

The 3rd one was in Chicago.. I always remember the snowstorm that happened in the movie.. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I don't know where it was actually filmed, but the setting was supposed to be Oak Park, IL.

The first 3 movies featured filming locations that include Oak Park, Skokie, Evanston, Winnetka, and ORD.

I'd go with Iowa. Smack dab in the middle of the country and usually gets some of the nastiest severe wx and the killer blizzards during the winter with the open land.

Blizzards suck I like snow to pile up str8 postcard perfect lol and its to dam hot and sticky with all that corn in summer. Is there much for tree's in central Iowa for the foliage season? I have no clue but picture not many or just Patches amongst the open? I could definitely dig me some iowa deer hunting tho.

You lack the repeatability of good winters that far south though. Even a dud winter in the southern Lakes usually still brings a decent amount of snow. A dud in Joplin might have 5"?

Yeah, as far as textbook goes, probably not the place to be. A dud can be around 2" or less of snowfall, plus in the winter we can be 70's one day, 30's the next which makes it seem like the seasons are occurring all at once.

Blizzards suck I like snow to pile up str8 postcard perfect lol and its to dam hot and sticky with all that corn in summer. Is there much for tree's in central Iowa for the foliage season? I have no clue but picture not many or just Patches amongst the open? I could definitely dig me some iowa deer hunting tho.

You may not like blizzards, but for the question of the thread I can't argue that Iowa seems to have all four seasons, with the extremes of both winter and summer (although questions like these usually involve which has a desirable four seasons climate, not which sees very extreme weather).

You may not like blizzards, but for the question of the thread I can't argue that Iowa seems to have all four seasons, with the extremes of both winter and summer (although questions like these usually involve which has a desirable four seasons climate, not which sees very extreme weather).

guess I got the meaning of the thread wrong. I was using the

Which area is most TEXTBOOK?

I would put Rockford and Madison as 1 and 2 in no order but with a nod to Madsion. Those cities are Textbook MW four season locations with no influence of the great lakes 99.9 percent of the time. Quality of life plays more of a role to me tho on where I want to live to enjoy those 4 seasons...and again... MKE is the place to be for me. Madison would be second as it is in a perfect location and weather criteria... Rockford is as far south as I could go to enjoy the 4 seasons and still have great location and closer to the weather of madison and MKE.

I would go with Madison over sw mi in a heartbeat for balance of the 4 seasons with no lake BS included. JMO

The less heat the better and thus why i would go with SW MI ( Closer to the lake that is ) over anywhere else. Thus i don't mind the Lake bs most here hate. :lol: Anyways that is my pick.

Archived