• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July OT/ Banter

jrips27

This time of year is really killing me...given my job this is a really dead period where the funds are running low. I'm waiting for August and the fall sports season to begin. The only thing that keeps me going is tracking the weather...watching those summertime pop up storms helps me pass the time. Man, do I sound pathetic...

BTW, I'm on board with the EURO and Canadian bringing the current feature across the Atlantic, just wish the GFS would follow suit to an extent.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From CoCoRaHS

Virgina’s Climate

By Bruce P. Hayden and Patrick J. Michaels, Univ. of Virginia Climate Office

Few states have a more diverse climate than that of Virginia. The state has five different climate regions: the Tidewater, Piedmont, Northern Virginia, Western Mountain, and Southwestern Mountain regions. Some localities--Charlottesville, Lynchburg, and Warrenton, for example--have climate amenities such as long growing seasons and infrequent subzero temperature minimums, while winters on the northern Blue Ridge frequently produce bitterly cold temperatures like those of Chicago. Similarly, annual rainfall totals can vary from a sparse 33 inches typical of the Shenandoah Valley to more than 60 inches in the mountains of southwestern Virginia.

Virginia's climate results from global-scale weather patterns...

Good article; thank you.

For a balanced yet diverse climate, the Mid-Atlantic is terrific; with the gold medal going to the small state of Maryland who's borders stretch from Ohio to the Atlantic. From the Alaska-like Allegheny Front in Garret County to the glorious Upper Chesapeake Bay to the Atlantic Coast, Maryland packs a wallop in climate variation and beauty.

Virginia is beautiful too but much of the state lacks a vigorous winter; and it's vast coastal plain does get a bit tedious. Particularly beautiful but not-well-known is the southwestern part of the state. The Va. Tech area (Montgomery County) has four vigorous seasons as well as eye-pleasing terrain (tire chains are useful in winter if one goes exploring!)

North Carolina has great diversity (from towering mountains to beautiful ocean capes) but it's also a rather large state (like Virginia, it takes more drive time to "change seasons" than it does in Maryland.) A great state for those who enjoy long summers, warm coastal waters, and best of all, ha-ha, hurricanes.

The Mid-Atlantic; short on extremes; long on pleasant living. And we like it that way...

pimp.gif

Greetings everyone! I'm finally back on the forum after a long absence. A friend of mine was kind enough to let me use his second laptop which has a decent internet connection until I have the money for a service myself. Missed you folks on here. I see that there have been fantastic discussions going on recently. :) Hopefully I can get back to popping on here often like I use to.

Greetings everyone! I'm finally back on the forum after a long absence. A friend of mine was kind enough to let me use his second laptop which has a decent internet connection until I have the money for a service myself. Missed you folks on here. I see that there have been fantastic discussions going on recently. :) Hopefully I can get back to popping on here often like I use to.

Welcome back! I look forward to having some decent discussions also! This board is an oasis in a desert or boring summer weather. It seems the great posters on this board find a way to make even the most boring weather interesting!

Glad you're back.I was actually just thinking about you the other day wondering where you have been...

Good to see you back! I too was wondering where you had been!

Welcome back!  I look forward to having some decent discussions also!  This board is an oasis in a desert or boring summer weather.  It seems the great posters on this board find a way to make even the most boring weather interesting!
Glad you're back.I was actually just thinking about you the other day wondering where you have been...
Good to see you back! I too was wondering where you had been!

Thanks you guys. Means a lot knowing there are folks who enjoy what I post. The SE crew is like my online regional family to me.

Speaking of which, I'm itching to get this horrid summer pattern over with and just have winter knock on our doors. I plan to release a winter forecast during the Q4 of the year (likely November) so be on the lookout for that. Eventually this heatwave will diminish, hopefully sooner than last year but we'll have to wait and see where we go from here.

I went yesterday to work a flex day....went rather well considering my room was the only one with a screwed up electrical system....no lights and no air!!! Thermostat read 79 degrees....at least I found a big fan.....Go back Tuesday for good and kids come Friday Aug 5th.

I hope you get your air fixed :hug: You know you(and all teachers) are always in my thoughts as school begins a new year :wub:

Question:

I am trying to remember the date in October'2010 where GA was in the low nineties Monday/Tuesday and then the first big cold front came through and drop the temps big time on Wednesday.

Anyone hold this information? I think Americanwx.com started last December, so their is no record of us talking about it back then on this board.

So I'm eating mini-wheats, with a banana sliced into the bowl, reading the board and looking over some model runs, like I do about every morning. Each bite is delicious, and I get about half way done with the bowl. Then I notice a black ant floating in the bowl just before I take the next bite.Then I feel an ant crawling on my leg. I look into the bowl and see quite a lot of black , dead ants. I wonder how many I ate before I poured the cereal down the toilet? I thought the cereal tasted a little "different". I have a big problem with the small ants this year, and I threw out a whole bag of sugar recently that had black ants in it. Now I've got things like sugar wrapped in ziploc bags. Every Summer I get the trails of the small ants, but not usually the big, black ants. They actually didn't taste too bad.

So I'm eating mini-wheats, with a banana sliced into the bowl, reading the board and looking over some model runs, like I do about every morning. Each bite is delicious, and I get about half way done with the bowl. Then I notice a black ant floating in the bowl just before I take the next bite.Then I feel an ant crawling on my leg. I look into the bowl and see quite a lot of black , dead ants. I wonder how many I ate before I poured the cereal down the toilet? I thought the cereal tasted a little "different". I have a big problem with the small ants this year, and I threw out a whole bag of sugar recently that had black ants in it. Now I've got things like sugar wrapped in ziploc bags. Every Summer I get the trails of the small ants, but not usually the big, black ants. They actually didn't taste too bad.

Sorry but...LOL....too funny.

Question:

I am trying to remember the date in October'2010 where GA was in the low nineties Monday/Tuesday and then the first big cold front came through and drop the temps big time on Wednesday.

Anyone hold this information? I think Americanwx.com started last December, so their is no record of us talking about it back then on this board.

never mind I found the old site with us talking about it. Looking forward to cooler temps.

Oh my!!:lmao: That little extra protein never hurts :lmao: That is too funny....ROTF!!! Never eat alone I always say!! Anywho, I applaud you for the healthy eating.....I'm about to do a quick turn-around to that myself......on the mission to lose weight........Do yourself a favor....DO NOT look at pictures of yourself in high school.....it only makes you depressed :angry: Oh well...it did me anyway.

lol, nice man just made me start laughing at work. The guy in the next cubicle probably thinks I'm crazy.

:lol: Ok...for the second time today I'm cleaning pepsi off my screen :lol:

I've got those little black ants trying to come in near my sink :angry: Happens every time it gets dry :(

With this relentless heat, I've been forced to push my bike riding schedule toward the mid evening period, though I must say it feels absolutely wonderful especially when you get a nice breeze blown onto your face. I'm ready for summer to be over now; anything to not suffer from this uninteresting period.

Hoping we can get a good downpour to occur for Sunday as the storm chances go up some. I'm beginning to miss that happening around here so often like it was doing previously. :(

Hoping we can get a good downpour to occur for Sunday as the storm chances go up some. I'm beginning to miss that happening around here so often like it was doing previously. :(

It kinda seems like our area got spoiled. Actually we were probably just on the threshold of normal type weather ( too much wind events though). Its all relative...there's plenty of the Southeast that has been through a lot more nothingness than here, and relative to their own rain amounts we're a little better, or a lot better off, but again...compared to our own 30 year normals, I think I'm right at average...maybe an inch or two below normal. I was hoping just once to have a "normal" summer...after so many years getting really shafted here compared to my normals. Atleast its much, much better than before, but I might not make normal or above normal, unless August is pretty wet. Still may luck up late Saturday and again Sunday , but we'll just have to see.

All I can say is I'm glad I had to study for the PCAT during the summer and not during winter wx season! I'm back and ready to kick it in the SE forums once again. Hurricane season is upon us and winter wx season is to follow. Strap in guys and get ready for the ride! :bike:

It kinda seems like our area got spoiled. Actually we were probably just on the threshold of normal type weather  ( too much wind events though). Its all relative...there's plenty of the Southeast that has been through a lot more nothingness than here, and relative to their own rain amounts we're a little better, or a lot better off, but again...compared to our own 30 year normals, I think I'm right at average...maybe an inch or two below normal.  I was hoping just once to have a "normal" summer...after so many years getting really shafted here compared to my normals. Atleast its much, much better than before, but I might not make normal or above normal, unless August is pretty wet. Still may luck up late Saturday and again Sunday , but we'll just have to see.

I agree with you about how we seem to have been graced with plenty of rainfall. It's one of the reasons why I already like this year compared to last year since storms don't seem to do the usual skip over our area as often this time. It's just after these brutal days we've been experiencing I yearn to go back to what we had but without the damaging winds, tornadoes, or large hail. I do wish areas like Eastern NC would get more rain (they seriously need it in spots) and other places than what actually occurred, but as you stated, we're doing alright here. It would just be an absolute blessing when this heat finally diminishes and we enter a period of much cooler weather. For now, I'm hoping we can get a good August regarding precipitation. I would hate to see a repeat of last late summer happening but who knows. We just may luck out and potentially end this summer on a good note.

Archived