• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
July Forecast Contest, Temperatures

No love for DCA's anomaly? :( (It's +3.2, BTW)

Cooler weather? Maybe... still normal to above normal, especially with clouds and decently high dewpoints keeping the mins up.

Eh, everyone knows DC has been running much warmer. But a lot of people predicted significant + anomalies for NYC and BOS this month, too.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We/They made a forecast for the whole month, not three days :P

this!, plus I really think the ridge axis that is positioned in the mid west may start to slide off to the east. Until this happens small troughs will be able to slide down from canada around the periphery of the HP. If the ridge axis remains in place then my predictions will be off, maybe not for DC because I think they excape most of the influences of the canadian troughs but areas like NYC and BOS will have temperatures closer to average where I and alot of others have them around 1-2°F above for the month. I wouldn't be surprised if DC runs 3°F above for the month, maybe even a chance for records if the ridge shifts.

Copy the pasta for July since Mallow's slackin.

The rules are in the January thread. Late rule: you can be up to 3 days late, but for each day late, you get a 25% penalty to your monthly score.

Forecasts are due by 11:59 PM EDT, Sunday, July 3rd

Remember, all you have to do is guess the monthly departure for the following three sites.

July...

DCA:

NYC:

BOS:

Haha, yes, I've been very busy recently.

Not due 'til the end of the day (11:59 PM EDT), Sunday, July 3rd.

How is the deadline three days into the month?

No love for DCA's anomaly? :( (It's +3.2, BTW)

Cooler weather? Maybe... still normal to above normal, especially with clouds and decently high dewpoints keeping the mins up.

Yeah, and I'm not seeing all this colder weather. It's now BOS +4.0, NYC +2.0 and DCA +3.6 through 7 days. And today looks like more of the same.

Why is that, since the NWS is going by 1981-2010 now?

Because it's easier on me and everybody else. ;)

It seems most people based their forecast on the 1971-2000 normals, probably out of habit. Moreover, unless I go in and re-code everything, my spreadsheet is using either one or the other set of "normals"... and since the first half of the contest was based on the earlier normals, it's just easier for me if the rest remains the same.

As I said, I'll allow you to adjust your forecast to base it off the old normals if you want (since you obviously were making your forecast based on the new normals).

Because it's easier on me and everybody else. ;)

It seems most people based their forecast on the 1971-2000 normals, probably out of habit. Moreover, unless I go in and re-code everything, my spreadsheet is using either one or the other set of "normals"... and since the first half of the contest was based on the earlier normals, it's just easier for me if the rest remains the same.

As I said, I'll allow you to adjust your forecast to base it off the old normals if you want (since you obviously were making your forecast based on the new normals).

Ok, can you let me know the old July averages so I can adjust then?

Remember also that the daily updates are based on that part of the month already finished, reported against the new normals I would presume, so they will not end up at the contest values. I was looking at the figures that I posted earlier today, and they would all be slightly smaller positive anomalies against the July means, but whether that applies to July 1-14 is another question.

Because of this change, if I report these values late in the month, I will switch to the monthly values in the 1971-2000 table as the base, after the 25th. That should reduce the "surprise" value of the adjustment. This early in the month, I don't think it's a big factor.

My numbers will surely be off. The heat building is pretty rough right now along the east coast.

Looking at the advance forecast, I am beginning to wonder if I torched enough for this month???

As of right now, for August, I will be going with a bigger torch.

Anomalies for the period July 1-23 as reported on NWS website. It appears to me that the NWS is also comparing on a daily basis with 1981-2010.

DCA +4.2

NYC +4.3

BOS +4.6

If the last eight days of the month including today averaged +2 then here's where the month would end up:

DCA +3.6

NYC +3.7

BOS +4.0

Archived