• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Supercell* Tracks from April 27, 2011

There were a total of 17 such supercells.

Here's a map detailing their tracks. Map and info compiled by myself.

april27supercells-copy.png

The details of each supercell (initiation, dissipation, a tally of significant tornadoes) can be found here:

http://jayzeetee.wor...pril-27th-2011/

Notables:

The most prolific supercell was Storm C on the above map (2 EF5s, 2 EF4s, 1 EF3, 1 EF2), followed by Storm F (3 EF4s, 1 EF2) and Storm I (2 EF4s, 2 EF3s).

The most deadly supercell was Storm I (87 fatalities), followed by Storm C and G (71 fatalities both).

Many of these supercells entered periods of tornado-dormancy. Some barely maintained their identity in some instances - these regions are dashed on the map.

You might want to re-do this map and include a scale bar and north arrow, otherwise it looks okay.

I drew this in PS, not very formal in any way. The position of the counties/cities/states should indicate which direction is north. I got the background map off an external source, so I don't really have a means of making a scale bar and correlating length to distance.

Do you have a track length for each supercell? It appears that several exceed that of the tri-state tornado, but hard to tell how this compares with long-lived supercells.

I do not, but I do have approximate start/end points. I could approximate the track length of each supercell by finding the distance between start/end points, if people are interested.

Off the top of my head (from a BMX PNS), the Storm I - the Birmingham/Tuscaloosa supercell - traveled for 80.3 miles.

Do you have a track length for each supercell? It appears that several exceed that of the tri-state tornado, but hard to tell how this compares with long-lived supercells.

I do not, but I do have approximate start/end points. I could approximate the track length of each supercell by finding the distance between start/end points, if people are interested.

One that I do know off the top of my head (from a BMX PNS), Storm I - the Birmingham/Tuscaloosa supercell - traveled for 80.3 miles.

I wasn't real clear, I didn't mean the tornado track length. I meant the track of a particular supercell. Storm C's track looks really long. Measuring from Jackson, MS to Covington, VA is over 690 miles! If the storm's average speed was 50 mph, that implies a storm lifetime of almost 14 hours. From my memory of long-tracked supercells, this is unheard of.

I wasn't real clear, I didn't mean the tornado track length. I meant the track of a particular supercell. Storm C's track looks really long. Measuring from Jackson, MS to Covington, VA is over 690 miles! If the storm's average speed was 50 mph, that implies a storm lifetime of almost 14 hours. From my memory of long-tracked supercells, this is unheard of.

Sorry, I must've not been the one clear. I meant the track of the supercell as well. And yeah, Storm C was particularly violent and long-track, maybe one of the greatest supercells in the recent era. The Six-State supercell on 3/12/06 lasted pretty long too (OK to MI) but this one takes the cake with violent tornadoes produced. Had Ringgold been rated EF5, this one supercell would've produced an unprecedented 3 EF5 tornadoes -- that has to be unheard of.

Sorry, I must've not been the one clear. I meant the track of the supercell as well. And yeah, Storm C was particularly violent and long-track, maybe one of the greatest supercells in the recent era. The Six-State supercell on 3/12/06 lasted pretty long too (OK to MI) but this one takes the cake with violent tornadoes produced. Had Ringgold been rated EF5, this one supercell would've produced an unprecedented 3 EF5 tornadoes -- that has to be unheard of.

Yes it would have been. Just saw a video loop of the 3/12/06 supercell. Amazing storm too. Looks like it remained intact from noon to 230 am, almost 15 hours. From your research, looks like storm C lived "only" 12 hours.

:lol

Laugh at Joe all you want, but the first thing drummed into my head in my first GIS course was what to include on maps and scale bars and north arrows were at the top of the list. Well, not the FIRST thing but one of the things we were told to remember.

I think setting up your coordinate system is the first thing one should do when creating a new map in GIS ;)

Pretty sweet.

What does a dashed line indicate?

Dashed lines are regions where I felt the supercell lost most of its definition/identity as a supercell, but was still barely trackable on radar as a distinct cell. In other regions I dashed the line where the cell was undergoing a reorganization involving a distinctly separate updraft.

The Cordova storm was probably an Ef5 in the making also had it hit anything significant prior to reaching Cordova when the radar sig was at it's strongest. Luckily it was looking less tightly wound up on radar as it entered Cordova itself but still was rated at 170mph+ EF4 there... I think this supercell is one of the only four I can think of which have dropped multiple (E)F5's the others being Hesston/Goessel back in 1990, Udall and Blackwall in 1953 and perhaps the Depauw and Saylor Park Tornadoes in the Super Outbreak (I think that was the same supercell). Three F5's is unheard of. Only the Super Outbreak and April 27th have had 3 or more tornadoes rated at F5 so that's easy to confirm!

A+ boarding

cool map, I remember seeing a NOAA map with rotation paths, I'm not sure if it was posted here or not.

New rotation track algorithm is awesome...

http://www.norman.noaa.gov/2011/04/nssl-product-captures-april-27-tornado-outbreak-storm-rotation-tracks/

NSSL has released an image documenting the rotation tracks of the devastating tornadoes on April 27. Bright reds and yellows show more intense circulations.

The image of the rotation tracks was produced by the On Demand Severe Weather Verification System, part of NSSL’s Warning Decision Support System – Integrated Information (WDSS-II) Multi-Radar/Multi Sensor platform. On Demand is a web-based tool that can be used to help confirm when and where severe weather occurred.

On Demand uses data gathered and sorted by WDSS-II to estimate the tracks of rotating storms and where hail fell. The rotation tracks or hail swath data can be overlaid on high-resolution street maps in Google Earth/Maps to pinpoint areas affected by the hazardous weather.

The WDSS-II system receives data in real-time from the nationwide networks of weather radars, satellites, surface observations and lightning detectors. WDSS-II then processes, analyzes and displays the data in a way that is useful to people who need to diagnose severe weather quickly.

The platform is being used by several local American Red Cross chapters, emergency managers and National Weather Service Forecast Offices for disaster assessment and response.

The April 27 Rotation Tracks file is available here for downloading and overlay on Google Earth: http://ondemand.nssl.noaa.gov/RotationTrack1440min_20110428-085936.kmz

April-27-Rotation-Tracks-Eastern-U.S..jpg

Archived