• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Radar holes

Chinook

After reading several posts recently regarding the Missouri area where there is weak radar coverage, I went to google and I was looking for a web page on radar holes. I found an old thread on Stormtrack.org specifically about this. Here are some links about radar coverage (or lack of it)

http://www.roc.noaa.gov/WSR88D/Maps.aspx

http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~jzhang/radcov.html

I thought Northern Missouri was bad (which it is, particularly with the population), but man Eastern/Southeastern Montana is awful! Noticed that the other day while trying to track severe thunderstorms in that area.

There is probably a cost/benefit analysis to be done here, radar holes where there are towns and cities is a different matter than radar holes where its almost entirely rural. That, and the frequency of severe weather would also be a consideration.

A radar gap in rural Nevada probably isn't as bad as a radar hole in rural Kansas.

On the other side, badly needed radar holes could be fixed for Houghton, Michigan and Erie, Pennsylvania. With constant lake effect snows for 5 months out of the year, the radar can almost never catch these bands which ends up giving terrible forecasts for these areas.

Erie, PA is probably the most populated place that isn't in the lightest yellow shade, and ironically one of the places in the US that probably has one of the higher incidents of precipitation days throughout the course of the entire year.

the mo holes get the most attention, but east texas could really use a couple. ditto for the alexandria area in mn.

we're lucky in college station that we get most of the cells well covered as they come in from the west, but the huntsville to tyler corridor is pretty bad.

Erie, PA is probably the most populated place that isn't in the lightest yellow shade, and ironically one of the places in the US that probably has one of the higher incidents of precipitation days throughout the course of the entire year.

Laredo, in south TX along the Rio Grande has no coverage below 10,000 feet. They have a population of greater than 250,000 (add Nuevo Laredo into the mix and we're talking 750,000). They have some monster supercells that move out of Mexico during the warm season. That area could sure use some help as well.

Seeing that map kind of makes me sad because there is no way with the current attitude in the country (anti spending, anti science) that we will fill all those holes. I'd be shocked if any get filled.

I'd agree that this is probably true.

Not to get political here, but sadly there are more than enough radars in the US to cover all these gaps. Just think of how many metros have multiple radars owned by the NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX affiliates that really add no new coverage value to that region. If we were to just use the resources that we already have and distribute them in an effective manner, the radar hole problem would be solved.

On the other side, badly needed radar holes could be fixed for Houghton, Michigan and Erie, Pennsylvania. With constant lake effect snows for 5 months out of the year, the radar can almost never catch these bands which ends up giving terrible forecasts for these areas.

The Huron mountains to the east of here block the radar beam. Since lake effect is closer to the ground it never picks it up from Houghton north.

Archived