Most Online
    Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
Jonesing for a Chase

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to be a buzzkill, but while GEFS start showing storms in the Atlantic starting at the end of the month, GEFS, reforecast ensemble anomalies, and 0Z 336 hour 30 km FIM-9 suggests absolutely nothing chaseable in the Atlantic Basin through the Labor Day Weekend.  FIM 9 brings a decent system towards the Lesser Antilles just after Labor Day, but nothing before.

The ESRL reforecast ensemble anamolies are rather depressing in that the above average rainfall stays mainly Pacific side next two weeks.  No signal for an Atlantic TC near North America.

Only positive sign, pretty strong 0Z and 6Z GFS ensemble signal for more EPac TC activity that moves Northwest rather than the usual WNW next week. (See below)

Anything Atlantic side before Labor Day will involve something not being forecast by reliable models at this time.

post-138-0-37146000-1377103048_thumb.gif

Those ensembles generally support the 12Z op Euro, a near miss on the Southern Baja in 8-10 days of a stronger system than the current cherry.

Sustained 10 meter winds 55-60 knots per AccuWx PPV graphics, and a near miss, but both could change over a week out.

Only potential chasing opportunity I see in August.

:cry:  Really want a threat from NC to NY this season so I can chase. 

:hugz:

Only potential chasing opportunity I see in August.

August is shot.  I'm cool with the EPAC sucking right now-- the red-meat chase action doesn't start there until Oct.  But I just wanna punch the NATL.  I'm growing to hate the whole basin.  It just sucks.

The long-range models, including the GFS, do keep showing Cape Verde storms, even hurricanes, on and off at random runs, but they lose them prior to getting past 65W or so. Even with poor resolution that far out, I am a bit baffled by that.

post-442-0-06961900-1377158814_thumb.jpg

Today

post-442-0-96151100-1377158805_thumb.jpg

I think, in all honest, perhaps it's just too damn dry.

August 23:  One basin completely devoid of interest; complete and utter crap in the other.

Hey Josh - you know you've made a positive mark on the world with your intense love of hurricanes and your fire to hunker down in the eye when a stranger on the Internet wakes in the morning, checks the NHC site and, seeing not a speck of color, says to himself, 'damn, I bet Josh is sparking mad this morning.'  :clap: 

August 23: One basin completely devoid of interest; complete and utter crap in the other.

I try to avoid emotional negativity about the weather. But this tropical season is just soul crushing. I look at the models and want to punch something. And I don't even chase!

I try to avoid emotional negativity about the weather. But this tropical season is just soul crushing. I look at the models and want to punch something. And I don't even chase!

It really is brutal, I don't even care where they go at this point, I just want to see some damn spaghetti plots on a strengthening hurricane.

It really is brutal, I don't even care where they go at this point, I just want to see some damn spaghetti plots on a strengthening hurricane.

At 996 or below, all those are near or above hurricane strength.  Just need to shift them a couple of hundred miles to the East and we'd be a week away from a San Jose de los Cabos YouTube adventure from iCyclone, and in a week, who knows?

post-138-0-75213500-1377293460_thumb.gif

Hey Josh - you know you've made a positive mark on the world with your intense love of hurricanes and your fire to hunker down in the eye when a stranger on the Internet wakes in the morning, checks the NHC site and, seeing not a speck of color, says to himself, 'damn, I bet Josh is sparking mad this morning.'  :clap:

:lol:  Omg, thank you.  :wub:  

You expressed my feelings exactly-- it's a perfect combo of crushed soul + weather-nerd rage.  :D

Totally.  Just something to look at, for crying out loud.  Something to remind us that the NATL has a pulse-- that it's not a frozen corpse.  The lack of activity is almost getting creepy.

At 996 or below, all those are near or above hurricane strength.  Just need to shift them a couple of hundred miles to the East and we'd be a week away from a San Jose de los Cabos YouTube adventure from iCyclone, and in a week, who knows?

That would be awesome, of course.  So far I'm not too angry with the EPAC, because good landfalls are really, really rare before Oct.  So if a chase were to materialize before late Sep, it would be total bonus stuff, in my opinion.

Archived