joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
00z Euro

earthlight

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

earthlight isn't discouraged, which is good. Maybe the Euro and GFS are both playing to their biases (one too cold/suppressed and one too warm.)

I an not quite sure if the ECM has a warm bias..it sounds more to me like the setup is just not as good as it was two runs ago. It had started to break down at 12 Z ..and the NAO from what was said is east based...

I an not quite sure if the ECM has a warm bias..it sounds more to me like the setup is just not as good as it was two runs ago. It had started to break down at 12 Z ..and the NAO from what was said is east based...

240 hrs anything can change at this point. we cant really even track trends until we see some consistency. Just be happy the euro/gfs see the storm.

The good thing is the storm is on the table for next weekend, personally I would like to see the storm about 24 hours sooner then what is being depicted on the Euro but that could always change on future runs. The finer details such as track, precipitation type, and amounts can be hashed out later, curious to see what the Euro will be showing in a few days from now.

it's a north atlantic ridge, not a true high latitude block

It looks like it will form into an Iceland block eventually...ensembles have then been retrograding it into Greenland in the longer term.

But yeah, that is not a true -NAO block at 240.

The setup at 240 looks very 12/25/02 ish to me...unlike the 12Z run, the high is no longer really in a good position to allow for any sort of good front end snows for coastal regions but we'll see a few or 5 more changes in the next 3 days.

12/25/02 was excellent later on though, as the rain changed over to a very heavy snow.  Got about 8 inches here in western long island.

I have seen here that its temps seem to run a little warm sometimes, especially in the long range. But the GFS has had it beat lately anyway on pattern.

Here's the 0z Euro 240hr map just for some reference:

post-1507-0-69907300-1291361754.gif

Certainly a better option wintry weatherwise than the 12z version which sent this smack in the middle of the lakes, even though that run still hinted at enough cold around for a probable interior wintry mix. Considering the 0z's positioning of the low in western NC at hr 240, I noticed that there doesn't seem to be any kind of a secondary low formation or reflection on the coast modeled up to that point. Would have to think under typical circumstances that a storm in that position would potentially be starting to transfer to the coast at about that time. Too early in the game to really hone in on much of course.

Archived