Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
June 17th-22nd severe threat

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The convective temperature applies when there is no other forcing present. So while yes, the convective temperature is high considering the cap, convective initiation can occur without reaching that temp.

Thank you, I know that. But it can be used as a rough proxy for an idea as to how high the temps have to be given a certain amount of forcing. Also, with Oklahoma likely being in the right-exit region of the jet streak Monday afternoon/evening, the forcing you're going to get is nowhere near what you think it is. But in any manner, at some point, no amount of forcing would be able to overcome a sky-high conv. temp. Please don't insult me.

Take a look at model trends: a sharper and deeper mid and upper level trough -->colder temps aloft, and stronger forcing;

Emphasis on the word aloft. From my experience, the GFS actually underdoes mid-level temps (~700mb) with these scenarios. The NAM (again which I generally abhor) actually has 15-17°C H7 temps, and given how hot and dry it's been, I don't think that's far-fetched at all, especially since, as the trough sharpens, it will be advecting H7 air from some of the deepest EML source regions there are, those that climatologically have been heating the longest. Now those cooler temps aloft will steepen lapse rates and could make any nighttime cold frontal convection more likely to produce hail, but it's not going to promote your tornado scenario. Also, see first response above w/r/t forcing claim.

surface low has been shifting south and west every run --> backing low level winds, and advecting higher dew points ahead of the dry line.

??? We are talking about Monday, right? If so, I don't know what you're talking about. On the Euro, it has shifted maybe a county or two south over the last four runs, and on the GFS, if anything, it looks a hair north. Don't make up facts to support your argument. The fact of the matter is, the sfc dews progged on the most recent runs look similar to what have been progged over the last several days, which are probably going to be low 70s (assuming the GFS is a bit high).

Model prog LCLs are under 1000m ahead of the dry line. Still of course, higher than an ideal setup, but you can get high based tornadoes. I'm not calling for a tornado outbreak, but I think a few are likely Monday evening. Certainly the large hail threat is there.

Yes, model prog LCLs are under 1000m ahead of the dry line. Well ahead of the dry line. Where the cap is still going to be thermonuclear because there will have been little in the way of any mid-level cooling. As stated before, and it's a fact that hasn't changed, the LCLs in the zone right ahead of the dryline where convection, if it is to form, will likely form are on the order of about 1500m. No way José. And without a favorable quadrant of the jet streak being overhead, without any dCVA going on, and with the cap in place, you WILL NOT get convection in the region with favorable LCLs.

I don't 100% disagree with the large hail threat, as I think it's probably going to be there after 00z. However, I question exactly how prolific it will be, given that sometimes these elevated post-00z hail events tend to underperform. I just don't really, in any way, shape, or form, see a tornado happening in Oklahoma or southern Kansas Monday.

It just shed its left moving pair--that thing should crap out fast. The amount of low level turning is quite evident in both the cloud CU and the surface map. Already turning into a classic supercell on the last scan.

Curious looking polygon from OUN, but then again the same might be said for a couple of mine tonight too!

Not to take away from the supercell on the KS/OK border but there has a been a tornado warning out for Orlando and it looked pretty good visually for a while from our hotel balcony....got good video and pics. I swear tornado warnings follow me. Had several around Louisville when I was there in april.

A well defined hook along with decent rotation on the supercell just north of Hardy, OK.

The lowest level velocity appears to be more inflow than rotation (though there is a weak couplet there at 0.5 degrees), but just one slice higher and there is a 90 kt gate to gate couplet that may be real but looks just odd enough that it may be a data artifact. Next volume scan will be telling.

The lowest level velocity appears to be more inflow than rotation (though there is a weak couplet there at 0.5 degrees), but just one slice higher and there is a 90 kt gate to gate couplet that may be real but looks just odd enough that it may be a data artifact. Next volume scan will be telling.

Just like that the gate to gate is gone, but the meso is still very strong up around 20kft.

Circulation appears to be trying to tighten up with the border storm now.

And tornado warning

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHERN OSAGE COUNTY IN NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA

* UNTIL 815 PM CDT

* AT 733 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A

TORNADO WAS LOCATED OVER NORTHERN OSAGE COUNTY...MOVING EAST AT

15 MPH.

Storms are starting to "pop" just West of US-65, Sedalia MO, with 60k ft heights. Should see a T-Storm Warning for Windsor, Cole Camp, and Sedalia soon. It's on the Northern sector of the largest CAPE values of MO. 5500 SBCAPE and 4500 MLCAPE.

Storms are starting to "pop" just West of US-65, Sedalia MO, with 60k ft heights. Should see a T-Storm Warning for Windsor, Cole Camp, and Sedalia soon. It's on the Northern sector of the largest CAPE values of MO. 5500 SBCAPE and 4500 MLCAPE.

The ICT 88D is pinging 50 dBZ at 50kft on those storms. Pretty good...

Archived