• Created
  • Last Reply

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO

1006 PM CDT SAT JUN 18 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SPRINGFIELD HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHERN MARIES COUNTY IN CENTRAL MISSOURI...

* UNTIL 1045 PM CDT.

* AT 1001 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

TORNADO 11 MILES NORTHWEST OF VIENNA...OR 22 MILES SOUTHWEST OF

LINN...MOVING EAST AT 25 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE BELLE AND VIENNA.

IN ADDITION TO A TORNADO...THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE

DAMAGING HAIL UP TO GOLF BALL SIZE...AND DESTRUCTIVE STRAIGHT LINE

WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH.

Yes, lets see what tomorrow holds. I hope it doesn't either:

A. Congeal into an MCS too quickly or

B. Initiate wayyyy uplsope, cause im not going to extreme NE panhandle/WY and

C. Any tornadoes that occur are out in an open prairie land, with no structures.

That's my biggest fear right now, actually. I've seen too many days like this where the parameters look maximized well out into the Plains, so everyone hones in on that area, but ultimately upslope along the Front Range is the only initiating mechanism and tornadoes still occur there despite the seemingly-inferior environment (2009-06-05 and 2010-06-10 come to mind).

It kind of looked like the 12z WRF-NNM this morning was hinting along those lines... bah.

Impressive environment in the NE OK/SE KS/SW MO... T/Td spreads ~10F & lowering (widespread 85/75 values with winds backed strongly to the SE), MLCAPE of around 3500 J/kg, ESRH of around 500-600 m2s2. Saving grace is that these storms are not rooted at the sfc, although we'll see what happens as they enter a region of lower LPL heights further east.

That's my biggest fear right now, actually. I've seen too many days like this where the parameters look maximized well out into the Plains, so everyone hones in on that area, but ultimately upslope along the Front Range is the only initiating mechanism and tornadoes still occur there despite the seemingly-inferior environment (2009-06-05 and 2010-06-10 come to mind).

LCL's are higher that way, but I dont know much about upslope stuff. LCL's are usually measured from the sfc, so I would think regular rules apply, yet you still get tornadoes in 1500m+ out that way.

post-6303-0-19380300-1308453381.jpg

Again I ask my self why this isn't tornado warned...

The environment is right, and from being out in these storms they sure as hell ain't elevated.....

500 ESRH 750 LCL.....but I don't get paid to do this so my opinoin doesn't matter too much but....it deserves a warning.

that one looks like it's going to gust to the south

I would tend to agree, that is definitely going to be the dominant trend for as things contunue to progress, but idk, I still think it should be warned.

You can even start to see a small OFB on radar returns now.

I would tend to agree, that is definitely going to be the dominant trend for as things contunue to progress, but idk, I still think it should be warned.

You can even start to see a small OFB on radar returns now.

Yeah, the last radar image showed an acceleration SE.

It kind of looked like the 12z WRF-NNM this morning was hinting along those lines... bah.

I thought about chasing the northeast corner of Colorado tomorrow. I just don't have the energy or the money to go out and drive 300 miles and risk getting stuck in a hail cluster. I think the forcing will be there to make storms into squall lines pretty quick.

Not sure why Springfield issued that tornado warning though. Looks like more wind behind that cell.

Agreed. The wind looks to be pretty goo on radarscope though. Sitting on a second floor balcony that faces WNW. Sick light show

Last frame had a nice couplet just East of Dadeville - definitely more of a wind threat but have seen several decent couplets in a couple different spots within the line for a frame or two.

Yeah there are a few kinks in the velocity scan that are a little suspect. Better safe than sorry I guess...

I rate this light show an 8.5 out of 10.

Yeah there are a few kinks in the velocity scan that are a little suspect. Better safe than sorry I guess...

I rate this light show an 8.5 out of 10.

I know there is a lot of debate about these type of situations, but with the potential for embedded qlcs tornadoes and with the extreme damaging wind threat, I am definitely in favor of tornado warnings. Anyways, back to the storms ;)

Archived