Newest Member
    Toothache
Weekend of 6/10-6/12 General Thunderstorm Discussion

IsentropicLift

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slow movers. What's supporting them?

Weak energy riding along a stalled front.

http://www.hpc.ncep..../sfc/90fwbg.gif

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSIONNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY1122 PM EDT FRI JUN 10 2011.SYNOPSIS...A STATIONARY FRONT WILL REMAIN SOUTH OF THE AREA TONIGHT. HIGHPRESSURE WILL BUILD TO THE NORTH OF THE AREA OVERNIGHT...AND THENOFFSHORE ON SATURDAY. THE FRONT WILL RETURN NORTH AS A WARM FRONTLATE SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY MORNING. A COLD FRONT THEN PASSESTHROUGH ON SUNDAY FOLLOWED BY HIGH PRESSURE AND GENERALLY DRYWEATHER THROUGH MID WEEK. THE NEXT FRONTAL SYSTEM APPROACHES ATTHE END OF THE WEEK.http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

-RA

69.3/67

Had some bursts of heavier rainfall, but no lightning/thunder. Should continue into tomorrow with much cooler temperatures. Can't wait for the mugginess to leave, although the NWS has increased temperatures in its medium-range forecast, perhaps a sign that Sunday's cold front will not be as strong as previously expected.

I like what I see coming my way (Southern Nassau county) but I like in under a protective bubble when it comes to Tstorms; they always break apart then reform east of me.

That happen to me a few times this season and last week with the great bust last week the storms formed to my east out 20 miles and Eastern LI got the storms. But I want to warn that these mainly showers and not too much lightning is right now associated it right now where it will be some downpours of rain with maybe of flash or tow here and there.

That happen to me a few times this season and last week with the great bust last week the storms formed to my east out 20 miles and Eastern LI got the storms. But I want to warn that these mainly showers and not too much lightning is right now associated it right now where it will be some downpours of rain with maybe of flash or tow here and there.

Ah I see, how can you tell the amount of lightning? Behind this set is a nice one in Penn. I wonder how that will pan out.

I am not enthused about thunderstorm chances for NYC/LI. We likely do not warm sector and elevated instability is only average for just a few flashes. Warmfront is never going to clear most of NYC, and LI tonight and tomorrow at least not past Manhattan and SI. No way it does with high position east of New England and pressure pattern to support warm sector. GFS and ECMWF are growing support for crap pattern for 200+ hours out, with consistent easterly flow 60-70 high temps and limited sun for many, many days out. Look at these models and see for yourself. We seem to be in a new crap pattern of Warm fronts not clearing the area and cut-offs too close to the region or just to our east. Don't like this, but the heat pattern last week was better for beaches than the next two weeks will be. Back to the crap pattern before the Memorial Day torch. Probably will have to wait until July for another hot period if it even happens. This pattern will suck for NYC and New England, VA/DC and south will bake for weeks on end with 90-100 constantly.

Central Park high guess for the next 7 days: LI would be 2-3 degrees cooler.

Sat: 67 - Showers

Sun: 71 - Showers and iso thunder

Mon: 73 - M. Cloudy

Tue: 58 *Horrible day of the week with drizzle from cut-off.

Wed: 66 - M. Cloudy

Thurs: 65 - P. Cloudy

Fri: 62 - Cloudy with drizzle and light rain

I would be ecstatic if it stayed below 75 for the next week, although that certainly isn't going to happen. This is a temporary relaxation and the next flexing of the ridge is going to be in roughly 8-10 days, and I have a strong feeling we will see repeated instances of 95-100 readings this summer fairly regularly (with nice cool downs in between, but it'll be very hot when it's hot... obviously...).

I would be ecstatic if it stayed below 75 for the next week, although that certainly isn't going to happen. This is a temporary relaxation and the next flexing of the ridge is going to be in roughly 8-10 days, and I have a strong feeling we will see repeated instances of 95-100 readings this summer fairly regularly (with nice cool downs in between, but it'll be very hot when it's hot... obviously...).

It's been a very reliable pattern going back to February.Every interval of cooler weather has been followed by a warm up with the he overall temperature pattern averaging above normal.

RECORD EVENT REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY444 PM EST FRI FEB 18 2011...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT NEWARK NJ...A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 71 DEGREES WAS SET AT NEWARK NJ TODAY.THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 69 SET IN 1981.

Amazing difference from recent days. I'm at 67/65 with a fine mist in the air and cool east wind. May not even break 70F the way its looking.

No rain so far today, but models seems pretty bullish on warm frontal storms tonight.

Heavy rains last night into this morning north of you with 1.08 in. here.

Amazing difference from recent days. I'm at 67/65 with a fine mist in the air and cool east wind. May not even break 70F the way its looking.

No rain so far today, but models seems pretty bullish on warm frontal storms tonight.

LGA is lower now at 64 degrees and a decent breeze. It feels like another world out there, especially when compared to Thursday.

I am not enthused about thunderstorm chances for NYC/LI. We likely do not warm sector and elevated instability is only average for just a few flashes. Warmfront is never going to clear most of NYC, and LI tonight and tomorrow at least not past Manhattan and SI. No way it does with high position east of New England and pressure pattern to support warm sector. GFS and ECMWF are growing support for crap pattern for 200+ hours out, with consistent easterly flow 60-70 high temps and limited sun for many, many days out. Look at these models and see for yourself. We seem to be in a new crap pattern of Warm fronts not clearing the area and cut-offs too close to the region or just to our east. Don't like this, but the heat pattern last week was better for beaches than the next two weeks will be. Back to the crap pattern before the Memorial Day torch. Probably will have to wait until July for another hot period if it even happens. This pattern will suck for NYC and New England, VA/DC and south will bake for weeks on end with 90-100 constantly.

Central Park high guess for the next 7 days: LI would be 2-3 degrees cooler.

Sat: 67 - Showers

Sun: 71 - Showers and iso thunder

Mon: 73 - M. Cloudy

Tue: 58 *Horrible day of the week with drizzle from cut-off.

Wed: 66 - M. Cloudy

Thurs: 65 - P. Cloudy

Fri: 62 - Cloudy with drizzle and light rain

you're wrong almost all the time

I wish I would've worn pants and long sleeve shirt--cold down here in Port Jeff. This year there's seems to be a southerly or easterly component to winds many times it seems. Long range has hawaiin ridge, west coast trough, east coast ridge. Was ridge position last year cause for the dry heat? Where was ridge centered? I know there's some calls having been made for increased hurricane threats for east coast--is this pattern that we've been in the reason? Amazing how different a year is--yet looking at anomalies there's a much colder Canada this year than last.

Archived