SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western/central member map

janetjanet998

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I didn't realize how many Texans there were on the board.

We've been getting the word out. Some of us have been here awhile. But with Tropical Season and lack of activity on the old board, many lost interest. Regardless, it's good to see folks singing up and joining in the conversation.

Topics started/ total post

new england 25 / 5226

upstate ny pa 8 / 520

new york/philly 34 / 1485

mid atantic16 / 486

se 12 / 1160

central western36/ 2332

our group has the highest number of topics started and the 2nd highest number of total posts.

we have 20.8% of total posts, and 27.4% of total topics started

but as you can see the forum is still tilted to those silly east coasters......

79% of the total posts from American weather regional subforums come from that region despite only having 38% of the USA population.......

new england 25 / 5226

upstate ny pa 8 / 520

mid atantic16 / 486

se 12 / 1160

central western36/ 2332

our group has the highest number of topics started and the 2nd highest number of total posts.

79% of the total posts from American weather regional subforums come from that region despite only having 38% of the USA population.......

The new name should help to some extent, but realistically speaking, I think it's going to be difficult for the board demographics to shift in an extreme matter. Time will tell I guess.

new england 25 / 5226

upstate ny pa 8 / 520

mid atantic16 / 486

se 12 / 1160

central western36/ 2332

All this says is that there should be some combining of a couple of East Coast regions.

Arcanum, Ohio and I didn't see that we were suppose to keep our old usernames :( (Formally IndianaWeatherOnline)

fixed. good to see you here!

also, i know that there was extensive discussion in the main forum about how the forum could be split as it grows larger. i drew a few lines on the map just to throw one possibility out there to show how it would divide the members. it's by no means a strong suggestion, but with all the talk, i figured it would be interesting to actually put something on paper to see what it could look like. how to divide up svr wx threads is obviously a problem no matter where it's split, but I think splitting it more north/south may make more sense than plains/midwest given that one skinny forum from brownsville to minot seems kind of ridiculous. the south-central forum would basically be KS/OK/TX/ozarks-centric, with the high plains in it too. the midwest/lakes forum would be basically what already exists in the form of midwest threads (i included the dakotas and eastern MT/WY because much of the discussion there would revolve around severe weather and plains snowstorms, though obviously these areas can be moved). the west would be the rockies to the coast--big, but not many members right now.

but you all are welcome to give ideas and i'll adjust the lines to see what different options look like.

fixed. good to see you here!

also, i know that there was extensive discussion in the main forum about how the forum could be split as it grows larger. i drew a few lines on the map just to throw one possibility out there to show how it would divide the members. it's by no means a strong suggestion, but with all the talk, i figured it would be interesting to actually put something on paper to see what it could look like. how to divide up svr wx threads is obviously a problem no matter where it's split, but I think splitting it more north/south may make more sense than plains/midwest given that one skinny forum from brownsville to minot seems kind of ridiculous. the south-central forum would basically be KS/OK/TX/ozarks-centric, with the high plains in it too. the midwest/lakes forum would be basically what already exists in the form of midwest threads (i included the dakotas and eastern MT/WY because much of the discussion there would revolve around severe weather and plains snowstorms, though obviously these areas can be moved). the west would be the rockies to the coast--big, but not many members right now.

but you all are welcome to give ideas and i'll adjust the lines to see what different options look like.

I'd agree with your lines though the gray areas would be KC and Missouri. beyond that I'd agree to all that.

I'd agree with your lines though the gray areas would be KC and Missouri. beyond that I'd agree to all that.

for sure there are grey areas there. i tried to keep it to state lines when easy, but it's hard to put all of mo in one or the other. i'd say use the mo river, but then stl would be split. i know swMO has a bunch of posters that wouldn't want to be split with OK/AR, yet st. louis and neMO probably needs to stay with IA and IL.

I'd be cautious in the early stages of our transition. Look at the stats. We are increasing in members and posts. I think that is a good thing regarding the future and quality that we can provide the Americanwx community as we move from an EC board, to one that benefits everyone. I think we should 'settle in' and build our base during the winter. Spring may be a good time to address this, IMO.

Added everyone

I'd be cautious in the early stages of our transition. Look at the stats. We are increasing in members and posts. I think that is a good thing regarding the future and quality that we can provide the Americanwx community as we move from an EC board, to one that benefits everyone. I think we should 'settle in' and build our base during the winter. Spring may be a good time to address this, IMO.

i'm not suggesting an immediate breakup, but there seemed to be a consensus in the other thread that it either is or will be a good idea to figure it out at some point.

so i am not advocating doing anything now or even soon, but i don't know if it'd be a good idea to do it in the spring. outside of the big severe weather threads, activity usually dies then and would leave the two or three forums a lot more empty than they'd be toward the middle of winter.

Added everyone

i'm not suggesting an immediate breakup, but there seemed to be a consensus in the other thread that it either is or will be a good idea to figure it out at some point.

so i am not advocating doing anything now or even soon, but i don't know if it'd be a good idea to do it in the spring. outside of the big severe weather threads, activity usually dies then and would leave the two or three forums a lot more empty than they'd be toward the middle of winter.

People are more likley to sign up if the forum looks busy....seperate it out too soon will leave 3 rather dead forums......

seems that 80% of the posts at american forums are still east of the apps.

remember how busy eastern was before we made the original move (well there were some that always posted in the central side)

spring-summer 2012 at the earliest IMO......

as for the severe weather threads I wonder if the forum software allows a pinned topic on two seperate forums?

Because of the long-standing dynamic built in the community on the far eastern United States, our forum's definition of the "Midwest and Central United States" is really much different than that of standardly accepted geography. Hoosier and I were discussing this a wee bit the other night when I was trying to figure out where to put my violent tornado/trough tilt write-up. Couple that with the fact that most severe weather situations that threaten my state are directly related to a storm system that's either affecting the MidSouth/Arklamiss/Arklatex or the OH Valley/standardly accepted Midwest... or both at once... my personal plan is to talk about threats immediately pertaining to MS/TN/AL within this sub-forum. If the threat is centered further east, but includes those states, ehhh... okay.... especially if there's a thread already going over in the Southeastern sub-forum. No offense to the crew that have built themselves over there over time, you guys are great :thumbsup: .....but the severe posting community we've been steadily building since Eastern first went online is very hard to separate from. I hope you guys don't mind. If so, woops :whistle::P

Because of the long-standing dynamic built in the community on the far eastern United States, our forum's definition of the "Midwest and Central United States" is really much different than that of standardly accepted geography. Hoosier and I were discussing this a wee bit the other night when I was trying to figure out where to put my violent tornado/trough tilt write-up. Couple that with the fact that most severe weather situations that threaten my state are directly related to a storm system that's either affecting the MidSouth/Arklamiss/Arklatex or the OH Valley/standardly accepted Midwest... or both at once... my personal plan is to talk about threats immediately pertaining to MS/TN/AL within this sub-forum. If the threat is centered further east, but includes those states, ehhh... okay.... especially if there's a thread already going over in the Southeastern sub-forum. No offense to the crew that have built themselves over there over time, you guys are great :thumbsup: .....but the severe posting community we've been steadily building since Eastern first went online is very hard to separate from. I hope you guys don't mind. If so, woops :whistle::P

If there is a gap in the membership its the LA/MS/AL region.....only a small handfull of members from these states....

we need more members from these areas for the cool season severe weather outbreaks

People are more likley to sign up if the forum looks busy....seperate it out too soon will leave 3 rather dead forums......

seems that 80% of the posts at american forums are still east of the apps.

remember how busy eastern was before we made the original move (well there were some that always posted in the central side)

spring-summer 2012 at the earliest IMO......

as for the severe weather threads I wonder if the forum software allows a pinned topic on two seperate forums?

we have nearly five times the number of posts and threads as upstate NY/PA... and the mid-atl too.

how active do we want it to be? i don't know how you can say a year and a half from now at the earliest; no one even knows how it'll be this spring. activity exploded and many more threads were started when we got our own subforum. don't assume that splitting in this case would instead cause the reverse.

again, for the third time, i'm not advocating anything now, but we need to consider what level of activity we think will justify it. i know posters in the other thread said they think it's not the greatest that ohioans are posting in the same subforum as californians--it could decrease the attractiveness of the board to westerners.

we have nearly five times the number of posts and threads as upstate NY/PA... and the southeast too.

how active do we want it to be? i don't know how you can say a year and a half from now at the earliest; no one even knows how it'll be this spring. activity exploded and many more threads were started when we got our own subforum. don't assume that splitting in this case would instead cause the reverse.

again, for the third time, i'm not advocating anything now, but we need to consider what level of activity we think will justify it. i know posters in the other thread said they think it's not the greatest that ohioans are posting in the same subforum as californians--it could decrease the attractiveness of the board to westerners.

good points....play it by ear i guess......

I assume these new sub forums will still be close allies against the silly east coasters.......

in the meantime , we must keep recruiting new soliders for the battle... :gun_bandana:

We are very soft on the Western Front and our underbelly is weak(LA/AL/MS)

good points....play it by ear i guess......

I assume these new sub forums will still be close allies against the silly east coasters.......

in the meantime , we must keep recruiting new soliders for the battle... :gun_bandana:

We are very soft on the Western Front and our underbelly is weak(LA/AL/MS)

i do fully agree that recruiting members is and will be our primary goal going into the future. the subforums just need to evolve over time toward whatever configuration best helps gain and retain members, as well as increase activity, so i was tossing out ideas for what the end goal of our 3/4 of the country would look like. i think we need to just to arrive at some consensus as to how much activity is appropriate for any single sf.

and i also agree that it's a great idea to have topics pinned in multiple forums if at all possible--it would help a lot for svr wx and storms that cross regions. i think it was brought up before and, iirc, it was a technical issue more than anything else. hopefully they can find a way to mod the board to allow it.

Build it, and "they" will come. I even saw Jorge lurking tonight...:whistle:

good movie, but i do want "them" to come regardless of whether or not it's built.

not to hijack the thread too much (maybe we can start another for this), but how can we get these additional members from the central and western u.s.? for those new members, how did you find us?

Archived