• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
June likely to come in with a summer-like scorch

earthlight

Disagree, most places cleared by 10am, plenty early with all the daylight we've got at this time of time.

Already 90F at PHL and upper 80s for much of NE and central NJ. I'm at 86.6 and rising, warmest temp of the year thus far. KEWR at 87.

Tom, I think it's not the amount of sunlight as much as the energy of the sunlight being expended on the wet foliage/ground etc so the temps could not rise as quickly. This applies more to NYC and the suburbs than the airports of course, but I do think if we were in a drier pattern the temps would have risen much more quickly.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom, I think it's not the amount of sunlight as much as the energy of the sunlight being expended on the wet foliage/ground etc so the temps could not rise as quickly. This applies more to NYC and the suburbs than the airports of course, but I do think if we were in a drier pattern the temps would have risen much more quickly.

Alex -- agree the moisture does have an influence, but I tend to think its only a very slight one. TTN hit 89F today with 850's of only 15-16c, and following nearly 0.40" of rain on a pretty saturated ground this morning. Most of the interior Northeast is well above normal wrt temps for the month of May but above normal for precip. No doubt it has some effect, but IMO the pattern has much more say in governing temps. 850's were 1-3c warmer down near BWI/DCA which allowed them to get several degrees hotter than us.

Alex -- agree the moisture does have an influence, but I tend to think its only a very slight one. TTN hit 89F today with 850's of only 15-16c, and following nearly 0.40" of rain on a pretty saturated ground this morning. Most of the interior Northeast is well above normal wrt temps for the month of May but above normal for precip. No doubt it has some effect, but IMO the pattern has much more say in governing temps. 850's were 1-3c warmer down near BWI/DCA which allowed them to get several degrees hotter than us.

Even Philly was much hotter than us. I find it puzzling to see that much of a difference with not much of a sea breeze until the latter part of the afternoon (it got in here around 6 or so.)

Even Philly was much hotter than us.  I find it puzzling to see that much of a difference with not much of a sea breeze until the latter part of the afternoon (it got in here around 6 or so.)

Yeah they've definitely been drier than us this month, only 1.9" in PHL compared to 3.4" here in CNJ, and probably more up your way. However - I'm just looking at the sky cover obs now for area stations, and notice how Newark, NYC, LGA etc were all mostly cloudy into the mid afternoon hours. Didn't realize the clouds hung around up there a large chunk of the day. Then once down to Somerville and Trenton, obs were "fair" or "partly cloudy" by late morning. That probably had a lot to do with the discrepancy b/t the Delaware valley and lower hudson valley temp wise.

The BDCF looks a little less impressive on the models tonight...not too atypical for guidance to overcorrect. The NAM now has mid 80's throughout much of the area holding on through 18-21z as the 850 temps actually increase. The GFS MOS has a high of 87 at KEWR. Should be a good gradient, though, by afternoon...I expect the warmer spots in NJ to hit 90 again.

Maybe, I see interior locations staying in the mid 80s except for maybe one or two 82-83 days. Lower humidity should keep it comfortable though with cooler nights.

Yup. Interior Jersey is a whole different world. Thats why I mentioned LGA and NYC. Didn't run the soundings for interior Jersey.

Interesting to note the difference between LGA and JFK today. With the NELY winds via the bdcf, LGA is 77F while JFK is at 84F right now, as warm as they were yesterday. A NE wind for JFK is quite a bit more land based than an E, SE, S or even SW wind.

I made fun of floodfan27 for all his consecutive posts about rain but its pretty clear you suffer from Thermophobia since 85 scares you, LOLZ!

No 90 degree days for NYC, LGA , BDR, JFK and ISP for April and May. And the next 7 days appears to not have it either.

Today is beautiful here. 78 degrees with low humidity.

I made fun of floodfan27 for all his consecutive posts about rain but its pretty clear you suffer from Thermophobia since 85 scares you, LOLZ!

TheTrials, nice to see you around posting again, I guess you needed a recovery after all this typical spring weather we've been having. :devilsmiley:

Light north/east winds don't seem through to keep temps from rising. But once we starting seeing winds switch to the SE, by 2pm temps that will stop:

000SXUS51 KOKX 311557OSOOKX

NEW YORK CITY METROPOLITAN WEATHER ROUNDUP

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

1200 PM EDT TUE MAY 31 2011CITY

SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS

CENTRAL PARK SUNNY 82 61 48 E10 30.23R

LAGUARDIA APRT SUNNY 78 58 49 NE12 30.20R

KENNEDY INTL SUNNY 86 60 41 N5 30.20R

NEWARK/LIBERTY SUNNY 86 56 35 E7 30.19S

Archived