Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Memorable posts before, during and after our HECS

Momza

Earthlight

yeah i would choose his quote of "somebody sneezing by the Mississippi river can screw up the phase"

other than that, probly the 00z euro play by play in here when it brought the storm back. the entire forum was flipping out.

yeah i would choose his quote of "somebody sneezing by the Mississippi river can screw up the phase"

other than that, probly the 00z euro play by play in here when it brought the storm back. the entire forum was flipping out.

This storm was truly a Christmas miracle. Best Christmas ever.:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

by far, best quote was on Dec 23rd, when it looked like we had no chance... Snowlover123 wrote this and posted this classic image.

"In case people didn't see it in the other thread...

Because the models have shifted east, I am forced to move my axis of heaviest snow about 100-150 miles further east.

This storm has been a major dissapointment."

2a6wcoo.png

by far, best quote was on Dec 23rd, when it looked like we had no chance... Snowlover123 wrote this and posted this classic image.

"In case people didn't see it in the other thread...

Because the models have shifted east, I am forced to move my axis of heaviest snow about 100-150 miles further east.

This storm has been a major dissapointment."

2a6wcoo.png

lollllll. i'm literally in tears looking at that map..

Some of my posts when there was literally zero visibility and ferocious wind despite the actual falling snow rate being subpar could qualify (on 12/26). Even the next day well after the snow stopped we had wind gusts well over 40 mph.

For 1/25, just the amazement of watching the snow come down so hard for so long was incredible. What I lacked in snowfall rate on 12/26 I made up in spades on 1/25. Must have easily been 4"/hour.

Yeah but at least you got the backside of the storm as it went away. I only got 9 inches, while a short 25-30 minute drive to my NE got 30''+. :axe:

Yeah. As powerful as the storm was, the really mammoth effects were over a fairly small area. Boston area didn't get hit anywhere near as hard as us, and west of Philly had zero. It probably hit the Delmarva and Norfolk just as hard as eastern New England. Montauk I think only had 5 inches.

Yeah. As powerful as the storm was, the really mammoth effects were over a fairly small area. Boston area didn't get hit anywhere near as hard as us, and west of Philly had zero. It probably hit the Delmarva and Norfolk just as hard as eastern New England. Montauk I think only had 5 inches.

Yep, which is why, taking overall impact and areal coverage into consideration, it can never really be compared to the Blizzard of '96.

Any reason why the precip shield blew in comparison to other coastal storms? It was either banding or nothing with that monster. Maybe because there was no nino southern jet?

one of my arguments as to why this wasn't a HECS. It simply didn't affect a large enough area. Historic New York Metro storm, I'll give you that one. There was nothing historic about it IMBY minus the crazy winds.

12Z NAM/GFS EVALUATION INCLUDING PRELIMINARY PREFERENCES

...SPLIT SHORTWAVE TROUGHS EXTENDING OVER THE PLAINS/MIDWEST...

...LOW PRESSURE FORMING ALONG THE EAST COAST THROUGH MONDAY...

PREFERENCE: EQUAL BLEND OF THE 06Z GFS/00Z ECMWF OR THE ENSEMBLE

MEANS

INITIALIZATION ERRORS IN NUMEROUS DIAGNOSTIC

QUANTITIES...INCLUDING HEIGHT/VORTICITY FIELDS/RH...ARE EVIDENT IN

BOTH THE 12Z NAM/GFS WITH SMALL BUT LIKELY SIGNIFICANT SHORTWAVE

TROUGHS OVER SOUTH DAKOTA/NEBRASKA ALONG WITH

SASKATCHEWAN/MANITOBA...WITH THESE AREAS ALSO NOT PARTICULARLY

RESOLVED OR PREDICTED WELL BY THE 00Z ECMWF. THUS...THE SPECIFIC

PREDICTIONS BY ALL DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE ARE IN QUESTION...WITH

THE RECOMMENDATION TO FOLLOW CONTINUITY...WITH THE FINAL OUTCOME

MOST BELIEVED TO LIE BETWEEN THE 06Z GFS AND 00Z ECMWF...WITH ALL

ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE INCLUDING THE SREF MEAN/GEFS MEAN/ECMWF ENSEMBLE

MEAN ALSO CONSIDERED USEFUL TO ADDRESS THE CONTINUED UNCERTAINTY.

THIS APPROACH DISREGARDS THE SUBSTANTIALLY DEEPER AND WESTWARD

SHIFT OF THE 12Z GFS REGARDING THE POWERFUL LOW TRACKING UP THE

EASTERN SEABOARD...AND TO A LESSER EXTENT THE 12Z NAM WHICH LIES

NEAR THE FAST EDGE OF THE GUIDANCE WITH THE DEVELOPING LOW.

HPC didn't say anything about the 0z GFS run on the 23rd where it shifted west. The 12z GFS wasn't the only model that shifted way west. The RSM,SREF,JMA and FIM also shifted west. The 12z Euro ensembles didn't agree with the op run at all on Christmas Eve. All the members were right inside the BM.

I see everyone misses winter already weight_lift.gif

I wish it was still winter :(

HPC didn't say anything about the 0z GFS run on the 23rd where it shifted west. The 12z GFS wasn't the only model that shifted way west. The RSM,SREF,JMA and FIM also shifted west. The 12z Euro ensembles didn't agree with the op run at all on Christmas Eve. All the members were right inside the BM.

I wish it was still winter :(

Me too, Anthony! Me too! April is like the most boring month ever although at least it isn't hot.

It will be a long time before metfan posts the JMA again, how that is missed!

from some time during the January 26-27th storm....

NCEP IS EXPERIENCING A SEVERE NETWORK OUTAGE THAT IN

ALL LIKELIHOOD HAS BEEN CAUSED BY THE STORM OF VERY

HEAVY WET SNOW WIDESPREAD THRU THE MID ATLANTIC REGION.

NEW NCEP PRODUCTS WILL NOT BE AVBL ON THE INTERNET UFN.

ETA IS UNKNOWN.

Archived