• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
WABC - Channel 7 is hiring!

ArtRosen

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=resources/inside_station/station_info&id=5783115

Weekend Weather Anchor

WABC-TV in NYC is looking for a full-time Weather Anchor to be a part of our Weekend Morning News Team. A successful candidate will be well versed in all facets of Broadcast Meteorology and have strong communication skills and an outgoing personality. Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, formulating and forecasting developing weather and designing a graphically enhanced weather broadcast. A Meteorology Degree and or a NWA, AMS or CBM seal is preferred for all candidates. Send your resume and video link or DVD to: [email protected] or Kenny Plotnik, Vice President and News Director, WABC-TV, 7 Lincoln Square, New York, NY 10023. No phone calls or faxes please. We are an equal opportunity employer.

WABC-TV is an equal opportunity employer. Any organization providing employment information or referrals may ask to receive our job listings. For more information, please write to us at: WABC-TV Human Resources Department, 7 Lincoln Square, New York, NY 10023 or email us at [email protected].

How are they allowed to write they are an equal opportunity employer when they are specifically looking for a woman?

What you read is a job description which is probably posted in the WABC Human Resources Dept. Companies are required to post openings, prior to hiring someone even if they have their candidate waiting in the wings. Could be that a person was promised a position a while ago. It is not a gender thing, it is the way companies operate. When it comes to hiring on air people, their agents have the inside track.

How are they allowed to write they are an equal opportunity employer when they are specifically looking for a woman?

Its ridiculous....honestly they should be allowed to state they are looking for a man or a woman...it would prevent wasting both the station staff's and numerous applicants time and energy, but alas we live in a nation that has stupid rules and laws...this being one of them...there isnt a man or woman alive who would be offended by the fact a station was looking for one or the other to fill a certain position...we all know they are leaning one way or the other anyhow.

Couldn't agree more. Channel 7's weather team of Goldberg, Evans and Smith is top notch. So rare these days to see a station have a team of great mets.

Man I would love to be on that team (and I am sure most of us would). They really are great though Lee is the best on air met in NYC hands down,

I really regret not sucking it up and going for the meteo degree instead I went with economics which im over at this point.

Amy Freeze is Heidi's replacement (technically, she is Jeff Smith's replacement as he has been promoted to weekend evenings/nights). She used to be the weekend meteorologist at our NBC affiliate (WCAU-TV Philadelphia). I always found her kinda boring. She was most recently chief meteorologist at WFLD Chicago, but they did not renew her contract.

http://www.mediabist...mornings_b32235#

I'm a bit surprised that she is only 36. I thought she was easily in her 40's.

She has a undergrad meteo degree and a masters in environmental science from Penn, keeping with WABC's trend to not use just "weather" people like the rest of the NY stations. We shall see how her forecasting skill are.

Happy to see that she is a met not a weather person. The insiders who knew that a woman was ABC's preference were right - that is troubling.

Happy to see that she is a met not a weather person. The insiders who knew that a woman was ABC's preference were right - that is troubling.

Well on a local newscast there are two anchors, one always a women and one always a man.

In fact the last time on a local NYC evening newscast [Ch. 2, 4, or 7] there were two main male anchors was 1986 I believe -- Bill Beutel and Roger Grimsby.

I don't thing a local NYC evening newscast [Ch. 2, 4, or 7] has had two main female anchors.

Amy Freeze is Heidi's replacement (technically, she is Jeff Smith's replacement as he has been promoted to weekend evenings/nights). She used to be the weekend meteorologist at our NBC affiliate (WCAU-TV Philadelphia). I always found her kinda boring. She was most recently chief meteorologist at WFLD Chicago, but they did not renew her contract.

She looks like a brunette poor man's version of Bridgette Wilson.

She was a really not that great and did not last long in the PHL market.

I suspect the same in NYC.

I personally love the quote below from the article. News Directors continue to abuse meteorologists during the week so that they can save money instead of hiring another weekday reporter. Just pathetic. The best stations in the country (and I don't mean top markets or necessarily best pay) allow their meteorologists to be just that, meteorologists.

"Freeze, hired as a full timer, will eventually handle some reporting during the week.

“It’s unclear what yet.” Plotnik says. “…Certainly with her expertise in environmental sciences that would probably be a good place to have her do some reporting.”"

Archived