Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
End of March, Early April Threat

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new 0z Euro tracks a powerhouse LP just inside the 40-70 BM. NYC Metro and SNE are clocked with a would-be 8+...

Its going to come down to the timing of the phase, hopefully the 0z GFS is into something...

the 0z gfs would be my model of choice if i had to pick an outcome :thumbsup:

would love to see that happen....unfortunately i have no say in the matter -lol.

The GFS is becoming very aggressive with this. Whereas, the Nam, DGEX, and Canadian show it going south and OTS. As usual the Euro doesn't know which camp to sit in so it stays in the middle. Andy and I have been talking about the set-up....I'm still not sold on this phasing....I think things are moving too fast and won't slow down enough to phase, also I think the GFS is showing way to much amplification..(I think it doesn't know it's the end of March/first of April) Andy told me, He's having trouble with the lifting to the north & northeast like many of the models are showing. Now the Jet does have that nice big U shape to it....If it were Jan or Feb...there would be no doubt that this would be a huge Nor-Easter..however, it's late march going into the first part of April....So the 540 line is not a good indicator of where the RA/SN line will be....This storm has a big hill to climb. The way I see it the four big things it must overcome, they are are:

1. Track of storm must be perfect

2. I think it's going to have to slow down to phase.

3. The sun angle this time of year is almost impossible to overcome.

4. Don't forget the kicker out west.

It will all come down to timing.........It too early to say if we will have a storm or not......If I had to say right now...I would say no....However, if the current trend continues for the next 12-18 hrs...MAYBE.

The GFS is becoming very aggressive with this. Whereas, the Nam, DGEX, and Canadian show it going south and OTS. As usual the Euro doesn't know which camp to sit in so it stays in the middle. Andy and I have been talking about the set-up....I'm still not sold on this phasing....I think things are moving too fast and won't slow down enough to phase, also I think the GFS is showing way to much amplification..(I think it doesn't know it's the end of March/first of April) Andy told me, He's having trouble with the lifting to the north & northeast like many of the models are showing. Now the Jet does have that nice big U shape to it....If it were Jan or Feb...there would be no doubt that this would be a huge Nor-Easter..however, it's late march going into the first part of April....So the 540 line is not a good indicator of where the RA/SN line will be....This storm has a big hill to climb. The way I see it the four big things it must overcome, they are are:

1. Track of storm must be perfect

2. I think it's going to have to slow down to phase.

3. The sun angle this time of year is almost impossible to overcome.

4. Don't forget the kicker out west.

It will all come down to timing.........It too early to say if we will have a storm or not......If I had to say right now...I would say no....However, if the current trend continues for the next 12-18 hrs...MAYBE.

Completely agree, TG. And even though our system is being better sampled now, and will be, moreso, over the next few runs, the all important "kicker/ridge builder" will still be coarsely sampled until our main shortwave crashes into the base at h500. Still room either way, of course.

Completely agree, TG. And even though our system is being better sampled now, and will be, moreso, over the next few runs, the all important "kicker/ridge builder" will still be coarsely sampled until our main shortwave crashes into the base at h500. Still room either way, of course.

UK does the same.

Here's the UK perspective of things...apologies for the 4 panel maps but its the best way to show most of the data..

1st panel map:

Surface isobars and wind, 850 therms in 2c increments and QPF (6hr total). Date and valid times in upper left. Clockwise from left to right forecast hours 24, 30, 36 and 42 hrs

2nd 4panel:

first 3 panels same as above except for forecast hours 48, 60, 72 hours. Lower right panel is forecast PIVA valid for 72 hours FRI Am very good (UBER?) PIVA across interior ENY and WNE. Possible significant snowband???

Now in spite of the latest 12z model runs (NAM aside) all consensizing on a YES or HIT. IMO its still too early to jump on board with any definite confidence. As noted by LEK and TG factors out west and the progressive nature of the flow (albeit amplitude IS forecast to increase) beg caution for at least another 24 hours. When a storm looks TOO GOOD to be true it probably is TOO GOOD to BE TRUE.

I could still see a more easterly phasing possibility.

I can also see a UK/GFS blend (more towards UK scenario) too but confidence in either one is low; I still tend (at least for another day) towards a phase but more east.

I'm in Nevada on business and am scheduled to fly back on Friday. Please don't tell me I'm going to miss a historic April snowstorm AND have my flight cancelled to boot. Am I going to be a victim of my own weenie-ism???? Good Lord.

:arrowhead: :arrowhead: :arrowhead: :arrowhead: :arrowhead:

Everything has shifted west, you guys are looking golden.

I am thinking of chasing in either the ALB area or Southern VT, or at our vacation house in the Poconos if it closes off a bit sooner. This looks like an awesome hit for my alma mater, Middlebury College in central VT. Starting to lose hope down here...

im nervous about the ensembles still being east.. Euro will be big tonight. but yeah If it does end up like the 00z gfs then ALB or southern vermont would be a great spot.. i'd probably take a trip up to woodford state park at 2400' off route 9 east of Bennington, they always cash in big.

im nervous about the ensembles still being east.. Euro will be big tonight. but yeah If it does end up like the 00z gfs then ALB or southern vermont would be a great spot.. i'd probably take a trip up to woodford state park at 2400' off route 9 east of Bennington, they always cash in big.

The 0z GFS produced 1.25-1.50 QPF as snow across S VT in just a 6-hour period as the LP crashed into S New England. Definately had 3-4" / Hr Thundersnow written all over it verbatim. No matter where this system tracks, it is going to have some impressive dynamics / forcing...

Archived