12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
End of March, Early April Threat

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HPC

...CYCLONE LIFTING UP THE EASTERN SEABOARD DAY 1...

PRELIMINARY PREFERENCE: BLEND OF NAM AND GFS

THE NAM...GFS...AND GEM REGIONAL HAVE ALL TRENDED SLIGHTLY

OFFSHORE WITH THE TRACK OF THIS WAVE...AND LESS INTENSE WITH THE

ULTIMATE DEPTH OF THE CYCLONE OVER THE GULF OF MAINE. THE

NAM...GFS...GEM REGIONAL...AND UKMET ARE SLOWER THAN THE 00Z/31

ECMWF TO PHASE THE ENERGY ALONG THE SOUTH CAROLINA COAST INTO THE

INITIAL WAVE OFF THE MID ATLANTIC COAST...WHICH DELAYS THE RAPID

DEEPENING PHASE AND THE CHANCE FOR A MID LEVEL CIRCULATION TO

CLOSE OFF AND HOVER NEAR LONG ISLAND. THE 00Z/31 ECENS MEAN WAS

ALSO SKEWED IN THE DIRECTION OF THE MORE SHEARED SOLUTIONS...AND

PERHAPS MOST SIGNIFICANTLY...THE 00Z/31 UKMET BROKE DRAMATICALLY

WITH THE SLOWER...INTENSE SOLUTION IT HAD LOCKED ONTO FOR MANY

DAYS. AS A RESULT...WILL RECOMMEND A SOLUTION ALONG THE LINES OF

NEW NAM AND GFS. THE DETAILS OF THOSE MODELS ARE DIFFERENT...SO

HOPEFULLY ONE OF THE OTHER NEW RUNS WILL OFFER A MORE SOLID

FORECAST.

Alright, cancel the QPF map... no need LOL...

Draw a line from Middletown NY- Speculator NY- Plattsburgh NY... along and east of that line to the New England border you get .25-.50 QPF total thru 00z Saturday. West of that, .25 or less...

This has to be one of the biggest vanishing acts inside of 24 hours I have ever seen...just wow...

BGM did the deed of removing the WS Watches that were in place across C NY. Quite surprised they left the Warnings up across the western Catskills. Warning statement says 4-9... which is bare minimal warning criteria. Given the trends... 3-6" seems more likely.

Would expect the Warnings to be replaced by Advisories down the road at some point...

LOL......George and I didn't fall for it.

The strung out channel/pieces of vorticity, along with a lead wave and a kicker, always came front and center in keeping me toned down.....

I was reading the NYC thread last night.....I was LMFAO!! People were looking at 850's around -.4 and thinking they had a shot at "good snows down to the coast".. :arrowhead: :arrowhead:

But TBH, I am really perplexed at today's 12z Euro....either it just had a most poorly timed HUGE burp....or it has shown that it's crown is tarnished...either way it is a head scratcher....and for the SNE folks, it may well have provided 4 days worth of April Fool's day jokes!!!!!! Some of those poor folks are running on 3hrs./day sleep over the last 5 days!! And rumor has it that toasters are in short supply.... :arrowhead: :arrowhead: :lmao:

Verbose Tip.jpg

KALB

THIS A QUICK HEADS UP...WE ARE DOING A MAJOR

OVERHAUL ON THE WINTER HEADLINES...AS THE LATEST MODEL TRENDS ARE

FOR A MORE EASTERLY TRACK OF THE MAIN COASTAL CYCLONE OVERNIGHT

INTO TOMORROW. THE QPF IS WAY DOWN ON THE NAM/GFS/CANADIAN

GUIDANCE/ECMWF/UKMET/AND ECMWF. THE BOUNDARY LAYER IS LIKELY GOING

TO WARM AFTER THE INITIAL BURST OF SNOW OVERNIGHT...WHICH WILL

ALSO CUT DOWN ON ACCUMULATIONS. THE HIGHEST ELEVATIONS WILL LIKELY

GET THE MOST SNOW...ESPECIALLY EAST OF THE HUDSON RIVER VALLEY.

HERE IS A BREAK DOWN OF THE CHANGES...

1.) A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS UP FOR THE ERN

CATSKILLS...HELDERBERGS...SCHOHARIE CTY /HIGHER TERRAIN/...CNTRL-

NRN TACONICS...BERKSHIRES...AND SRN VT FOR 5-12 INCHES OF SNOW.

THE HEAVIEST TOTALS WILL LIKELY BE OVER THE SRN GREENS AND BERKS.

THE WARNING WILL NOW START AT MIDNIGHT INSTEAD OF 6 PM EDT...DUE

TO THE SLOWER TRACK OF THE STORM SYSTEM.

2.) THE OTHER WINTER STORM WARNINGS HAVE BEEN DOWNGRADED TO

ADVISORIES WITH A GENERAL 3 TO 7 INCHES OF SNOWFALL. THESE AREAS

INCLUDE THE SOUTHERN ADIRONDACKS...MOHAWK VALLEY...LAKE GEORGE

REGION...CAPITAL REGION...SRN TACONICS...MID HUDSON VALLEY...AND NW

CT. SOME LOCATIONS IN THE LITCHFIELD HILLS/SRN TACONICS MAY BE IN

THE 4-8" RANGE DEPENDING ON THE EXACT TRACK OF THE CYCLONE. THESE

ADVISORIES RUN FROM MIDNIGHT TO MIDNIGHT.

3.) THE VALLEYS MAY HAVE A HARD TIME ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL AFTER

THE INITIAL BURST...SO PLACES LIKE THE CAPITAL DISTRICT...MID

HUDSON VALLEY...AND THE MOHAWK VALLEY WILL LIKELY BE ON THE LOW

END OF THE ACCUMULATION RANGE AT 3 OR 4 INCHES. THE SNOW WILL HAVE

A HARD TIME ACCUMULATING IN THE LATE MORNING AND PM...WITH MAX

TEMPS CLIMBING INTO THE MID 30S TO L40S.-- End Changed Discussion --

Winter want's to go out with a bang that's for sure...Still it's 6 or 7 days out, so we will see.

The models are showing big differences in track, timing, and how strong this will get. I know most of the models , with the Canadian leading the charge, show a decent snowstorm, where as the GFS is lagging back.... This upcoming end of week storm has a big uphill battle ahead of it. We have a very dry and suppressed situation over us right now.. The question is how far north will the precipitation be. The Canadian and WRF show a very amplified storm The Euro is in the middle with the GFS showing a very unimpressive storm That's pushed south and it looks fairly ragged do to the upper level wind shear. I think the GFS has the best handle on this thing right now.....I know storms this time of year can do strange things at the last second....I just don't think this storm is the one that will do it.

The GFS is looking a bit better.....The problem is the The flow is going to be difficult to overcome......I could be wrong....but I don't see this storm phasing, which is what we need if we want a major storm. But it's still a few days out so we will see.

The GFS is becoming very aggressive with this. Whereas, the Nam, DGEX, and Canadian show it going south and OTS. As usual the Euro doesn't know which camp to sit in so it stays in the middle. Andy and I have been talking about the set-up....I'm still not sold on this phasing....I think things are moving too fast and won't slow down enough to phase, also I think the GFS is showing way to much amplification..(I think it doesn't know it's the end of March/first of April) Andy told me, He's having trouble with the lifting to the north & northeast like many of the models are showing. Now the Jet does have that nice big U shape to it....If it were Jan or Feb...there would be no doubt that this would be a huge Nor-Easter..however, it's late march going into the first part of April....So the 540 line is not a good indicator of where the RA/SN line will be....This storm has a big hill to climb. The way I see it the four big things it must overcome, they are are:

1. Track of storm must be perfect

2. I think it's going to have to slow down to phase.

3. The sun angle this time of year is almost impossible to overcome.

4. Don't forget the kicker out west.

It will all come down to timing.........It too early to say if we will have a storm or not......If I had to say right now...I would say no....However, if the current trend continues for the next 12-18 hrs...MAYBE.

I tip my hat an offer kudos :thumbsup: to Tornado Girl. In spite of some good conversations with her on this storm I let the models bias my forecast :axe:. Excellent call on two lows and phasing having to be be just right.

sBo_bouncing2.gif

I tip my hat an offer kudos :thumbsup: to Tornado Girl. In spite of some good conversations with her on this storm I let the models bias my forecast :axe:. Excellent call on "twin" lows and phasing having to be be just right.

sBo_bouncing2.gif

Why thank-you kind sir. this storm had a big hill to climb. We have all seen how the models shifted SE at the minute for most of the2010-2011 winter season.

Snot ova till da fat lady sings......tomorrow....doesn't look promising at all but double reversals have happened....although unlikely....I know the fat lady and she said that she is gonna sing tomorrow morning...then it will be ova.

BTW, radar in Eastern Mass and in Florida looks impressive.......I know I'm grasping at straws....but hey...:axe:

I tip my hat an offer kudos :thumbsup: to Tornado Girl. In spite of some good conversations with her on this storm I let the models bias my forecast :axe:. Excellent call on "twin" lows and phasing having to be be just right.

sBo_bouncing2.gif

The strung out channel/pieces of vorticity, along with a lead wave and a kicker, always came front and center in keeping me toned down.....

I was reading the NYC thread last night.....I was LMFAO!! People were looking at 850's around -.4 and thinking they had a shot at "good snows down to the coast".. :arrowhead: :arrowhead:

But TBH, I am really perplexed at today's 12z Euro....either it just had a most poorly timed HUGE burp....or it has shown that it's crown is tarnished...either way it is a head scratcher....and for the SNE folks, it may well have provided 4 days worth of April Fool's day jokes!!!!!! Some of those poor folks are running on 3hrs./day sleep over the last 5 days!! And rumor has it that toasters are in short supply.... :arrowhead: :arrowhead: :lmao:

Verbose Tip.jpg

I agree completely..all great points. TBF I can't blame anyone, normally when the GFS and Euro agree that's the way to go. you normally go with them. I just thought the models would have caught on to the Kicker a little bit sooner.

Snot ova till da fat lady sings......tomorrow....doesn't look promising at all but double reversals have happened....although unlikely....I know the fat lady and she said that she is gonna sing tomorrow morning...then it will be ova.

BTW, radar in Eastern Mass and in Florida looks impressive.......I know I'm grasping at straws....but hey...:axe:

Geek listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIVfbylUU-M

I agree completely..all great points. TBF I can't blame anyone, normally when the GFS and Euro agree that's the way to go. you normally go with them. I just thought the models would have caught on to the Kicker a little bit sooner.

Isn't hindcasting great! :-0

Don't know about y'all, but I'm going with The Weather Channel, the forecast experts. Changing their forecast is like changing the direction of a super cargo ship.........slow and steady. Maybe they're just trying to keep up the hype to rake in the dough.

Andy can bust a forecast and still be closer than the Weather Channell on their BEST

Forecasting ability. They could not hit a cow in the ass with a snowshovel let alone make an accumulation forecast that is close.

Archived