• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
3/23 - 3/24 Winter Storm

NEG NAO

I just checked the soundings for ABE and it is almost definitely snow. The only layer above freezing is at the surface. That would most likely be a massive hit for ABE and a nice hit for the rest of Northern New Jersey also.

Not really when you look at the surface....

at 66 hrs the surface freezing line is up on the NY PA borderline...

at 72 hrs it drops back down to about East Central PA...

I would be leaning more towards a cold rain at this point....

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is, that's too warm to get stuff accumulating at the light to moderate rate the NAM has it falling at. This becomes a real problem near the coast.

Light in Allentown?

NAM had 1.25"+ from Allentown south.

We aren't talking about coast.

The problem is, that's too warm to get stuff accumulating at the light to moderate rate the NAM has it falling at. This becomes a real problem near the coast.

NYC metro wouldn't accumulate much on the NAM except for NJ since we only get a couple frames of .1" QPF, which is not going to cut it in late March.

I'm sort of content that the NAM is staying south however, given that the GFS is so far north. Much better chance this gets too warm for us than misses to the south given the track of the H5 shortwave and the time of year.

I just checked the soundings for ABE and it is almost definitely snow. The only layer above freezing is at the surface. That would most likely be a massive hit for ABE and a nice hit for the rest of Northern New Jersey also.

I think that is what I just said....

Its going to be very difficult with temperatures at the surface above freezing to get anything to accumulate....

Factor in that this is the NAM & it will IMHO come even further north and warmer...I would still lean towards the cold rain scenario...

GGEM means are showing a cold rain scenario..

GFS is showing a cold rain scenario

ECM has been pretty much ranging from a 8-9 inch snowstorm (i believe one of its more recent 12 Z runs) to a warm rain event at 00z last night back to a more border line event at 12 Z today...

Add the NOGAPS and Canadian that have consistently shown a snowstorm to the NAM camp. The Euro and GFS have been all over the place.

I think that is what I just said....

Its going to be very difficult with temperatures at the surface above freezing to get anything to accumulate....

Factor in that this is the NAM & it will IMHO come even further north and warmer...I would still lean towards the cold rain scenario...

GGEM means are showing a cold rain scenario..

GFS is showing a cold rain scenario

ECM has been pretty much ranging from a 8-9 inch snowstorm (i believe one of its more recent 12 Z runs) to a warm rain event at 00z last night back to a more border line event at 12 Z today...

NYC metro wouldn't accumulate much on the NAM except for NJ since we only get a couple frames of .1" QPF, which is not going to cut it in late March.

I'm sort of content that the NAM is staying south however, given that the GFS is so far north. Much better chance this gets too warm for us than misses to the south given the track of the H5 shortwave and the time of year.

Indeed. I'm very happy to see the NAM where it is. No one wants to be in the bullseye on the NAM at 78 hours. Best place for this storm to be is south of us and that's exactly what we have here.

dt

** ALERT ALERT *** significant late season SNOWSTORM THREAT INCREASING for Northeast PA NW NJ southern interior NY... Hudson from White Plains to Albany and all iof INTERIOR New England...6 to 12"

NYC BDR HVN GON PVS BOS 2 to 5" ... But Boston COULD get into the 6"+ range

00z gfs north and torchy, probably no snow this run

the next threat emerging at day 6 has my eye, nice setup

It probably gives some front-end snows to the NW suburbs at 60/66, but mostly rain. Very cold weather at Day 5:

Amazing to think it was shorts and t-shorts Friday with windows wide open, and now we're talking about snow with the heating bill inching up as a late-season cold snap affects the NYC metro.

It probably gives some front-end snows to the NW suburbs at 60/66, but mostly rain. Very cold weather at Day 5:

Amazing to think it was shorts and t-shorts Friday with windows wide open, and now we're talking about snow with the heating bill inching up as a late-season cold snap affects the NYC metro.

yeah man, i got sunburned on friday playing basketball, now it feels freezing and we are talking snow. Crazy weather

I'm liking the set-up for the next potential event on the GFS, which IMO may be more of a snow threat for us.

That 500mb pattern doesn't get much better...anytime of the year. I could see this one being an interior Mid Atlantic to New England snow and then another one that brings the snow even further south in early April.

That 500mb pattern doesn't get much better...anytime of the year. I could see this one being an interior Mid Atlantic to New England snow and then another one that brings the snow even further south in early April.

HM -- agreed. Real impressive look at H5. West based -NAO retrograding towards Hudson Bay, 50-50 low, and even a decent PNA ridge spiking out west. Great confluence in sern canada to keep this s/w south.

gfs_500_180s.gif

HM -- agreed. Real impressive look at H5. West based -NAO retrograding towards Hudson Bay, 50-50 low, and even a decent PNA ridge spiking out west. Great confluence in sern canada to keep this s/w south.

gfs_500_180s.gif

Not too dissimilar from the late dec blizzard set-up actually. Very favorable upper pattern, much moreso than w/ the mid week event. Still, all the pieces need to fall into place for a snowstorm to occur along I-95 at this time of year, but one can't help but be excited w/ that 500mb chart.

Archived