northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
3/23 - 3/24 Winter Storm

NEG NAO

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The temperatures would be warmer than the NAM is showing here at the coast if that strong of an ENE flow develops.

I agree. The low deepening over PA and MD before reaching the coast will pull up actually warm air ahead of it. But it's really the NAM suggesting the possibility of deformation band, dynamic cooling and increased CAA behind the storm late Wed night, that we have shot at accumulating snow over NYC and LI. Right now it looks like it has a very slim chance of happening.

I agree. The low deepening over PA and MD before reaching the coast will pull up actually warm air ahead of it. But it's really the NAM suggesting the possibility of deformation band, dynamic cooling and increased CAA behind the storm late Wed night, that we have shot at accumulating snow over NYC and LI. Right now it looks like it has a very slim chance of happening.

Just want to add.

Not just the NAM.

UKIE, GGEM, SREFS, RSM and ETA so far all agree with NAM. All thats left right now is the euro.

John,

And you said I was over the top earlier? John. I have a great deal of respect for your forecasting ability, but I truly think you are greatly underestimating the possibilities for this storm to dump more than 6 inches of snow across Northern New Jersey and NYC. Of course there is a chance we could end up with only 3-6 inches, but I truly believe a better forecast at this point would be 6-10. The NOGAPS, Canadian, NAM, SREF, and now UKMET all show this possibility. The EC and GFS are very close to this as well. Who knows, maybe you will end up right, but he certainly has enough models on his side to make such a forecast.

Okay, so your method of forecasting is to take the 66 hour NAM, rip and read the bufkit and clown maps, and type up the amounts? Good luck

iStock_000003827645XSmall1.jpg

personally speaking, I think it's a bit dangerous to forecast an obscene amount of snow.. even if most of the models show it.. just given late March climatology alone.. I mean.. of course, you are going to get your storms every so often that go way against climo, but being conservative is probably not a bad idea.

personally speaking, I think it's a bit dangerous to forecast an obscene amount of snow.. even if most of the models show it.. just given late March climatology alone.. I mean.. of course, you are going to get your storms every so often that go way against climo, but being conservative is probably not a bad idea.

I'm still failing to see how 7-14" is a terrible forecast at this time for my back yard. Maybe its a tad overdone but I live well west of the city and I'm normally part of the areas that stay mostly snow when the city and burbs change over. Since I'm not a met, I have the luxury of not taking the conservative route every time.

I'm still failing to see how 7-14" is a terrible forecast at this time for my back yard. Maybe its a tad overdone but I live well west of the city and I'm normally part of the areas that stay mostly snow when the city and burbs change over. Since I'm not a met, I have the luxury of not taking the conservative route every time.

*reads above post*

*looks at calendar*

*laughs*

yea, maybe if you live up in the Poconos.

i had 3 inches of snow fall in 2 hrs this morning and temps never got below freezing.  It has snowed plenty of times in late march away from the city.  A 6 inch snowfall is not that unheard of. sure it will melt fast but you guys are acting like its june

To tell you all you truth I really don't want a big snowstorm in the spring. There is nothing more that having snow when it is suppose warm. Death to the NAM.

The GFS is more of an outlier today than the NAM. In any event I could really care less if it snows or not after the winter I've had. I can think of a few scenarios I would like to see for this possible event out of spite for a few posters on here but then again I really don't think its necessary to waste that much energy arguing about things we have no control over.

i had 3 inches of snow fall in 2 hrs this morning and temps never got below freezing. It has snowed plenty of times in late march away from the city. A 6 inch snowfall is not that unheard of. sure it will melt fast but you guys are acting like its june

7-14" in the last week of March anywhere south of New England or below 2000' is quite unheard of. Yes, it has happened, but I wouldn't put a lot of confidence in any such forecast.

7-14" in the last week of March anywhere south of New England or below 2000' is quite unheard of. Yes, it has happened, but I wouldn't put a lot of confidence in any such forecast.

I would have to strongly disagree with that statement. Some of the best snows can be found in the late season Catskills/Poconos and high elevations of Nw Nj around the area even under 2,000 feet.. Late March/April significant/major snowstorms are quite frequent around the area more than you think!

5.5 inches of snow this am at my house was a very nice surprise this morning.

7-14" in the last week of March anywhere south of New England or below 2000' is quite unheard of.  Yes, it has happened, but I wouldn't put a lot of confidence in any such forecast.

the low end range is not that unheard even below 500 ft. define your idea of unheard of? Id say 1 out of every 5-..7 yrs (and probably more like 5 yrs) i get a 6+ inch storm at the end of march. thats really not that unheard of and my elevation is only 380 ft.  How long have you lived in nw jersey?   

the low end range is not that unheard even below 500 ft. define your idea of unheard of? Id say 1 out of every 10 yrs (and probably more like 5- 7 yrs) i get a 6+ inch storm at the end of march. thats really not that unheard of and my elevation is only 380 ft. How long have you lived in nw jersey?

ahh thank you! I live nw of you in Pike county Pa, elevation up here 1000-2000 feet. I have seen numerous 6+ inch snowstorms even into Mid April in my neck of the woods and I'm well under 2000 feet.

Archived