joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid March Storm threat?

Snow_Miser

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z ECM shows a huge +NAO in the medium-long range with a vortex centered over Baffin Island/Baffin Bay. It's pretty much the opposite pattern of the west-based blocking we saw in December.

You never know with March cut-off lows, however. The teleconnections have much less importance this late in the season...some seemingly unfavorable patterns like March 1967 have produced big snows, a year which had a huge +NAO and Aleutian ridge/GoA low...

It's a really long way out, so a lot of things can change. The GFS and GFS ENS both show a transition to a West based -NAO.

That looks like a +NAO to me. Maybe it changes post Day 10, but that's fantasy range and the Pacific looks absolutely miserable. Not much hope with the big Aleutian ridge and GoA low.

I wouldn't be surprised if no one in the Upton CWA sees a 6" snowfall again this winter. I think northern sections of the forecast region will probably get a couple 1-3" events with WAA snows before changing to rain like with the Thursday event up here in Westchester.

I would take Joe Bastardi anyday over Henry.

They both suck.

That looks like a +NAO to me. Maybe it changes post Day 10, but that's fantasy range and the Pacific looks absolutely miserable. Not much hope with the big Aleutian ridge and GoA low.

I wouldn't be surprised if no one in the Upton CWA sees a 6" snowfall again this winter. I think northern sections of the forecast region will probably get a couple 1-3" events with WAA snows before changing to rain like with the Thursday event up here in Westchester.

They both suck.

Henry sucks.

Joe just goes overboard all the time, but he's generally pretty good, imo.

12z ECM shows a huge +NAO in the medium-long range with a vortex centered over Baffin Island/Baffin Bay. It's pretty much the opposite pattern of the west-based blocking we saw in December.

You never know with March cut-off lows, however. The teleconnections have much less importance this late in the season...some seemingly unfavorable patterns like March 1967 have produced big snows, a year which had a huge +NAO and Aleutian ridge/GoA low...

I would argue the opposite with regards to having a -NAO. Yes the wavelengths are getting shorter, but I was always under the impression that a -NAO is a necessity in March if we want snow down this way. If there is any hope, the MJO is emerging weakly into phase 8 right now.

I would argue the opposite with regards to having a -NAO. Yes the wavelengths are getting shorter, but I was always under the impression that a -NAO is a necessity in March if we want snow down this way. If there is any hope, the MJO is emerging weakly into phase 8 right now.

The period March 18 through at least the 23rd has been hinting of a Neg Nao MJO going favorable territory and the pattern is active with storms - many times late march and early april snow storms are difficult to predict more then a couple days in advance and at this range the models only can give a general idea of what may be coming down the pike......

GFS and GGEM both have a storm just south of us day 6.5-7.5

Plenty of cold air around as well.

JMA also now has this storm but more north and wetter.

Euro also develops the storm but holds it back for a couple days before shredding it.

The storm is right before the big ridge moves in. All the models show a trough at Day 6/7 and then a SE ridge Day 9/10...

I saw a "daffodil crusher" being mentioned for the MA in the New England thread for next week. Does this imply we actually have a chance at snow next week? Somehow, I doubt it in this crappy pattern lol.

I think that there is an 85% chance NYC snow season is over. Some of the models runs have suggested snow, however then runs then drop it. In addition the general pattern does not point to snow and time is running out fast.

Im glad we got that last little snowstorm in before the pattern went completely awful. The funny thing is, areas south of us actually had their last snowfall later than we did this year (by a day, but it still counts.)

Im glad we got that last little snowstorm in before the pattern went completely awful. The funny thing is, areas south of us actually had their last snowfall later than we did this year (by a day, but it still counts.)

Honestly Alex you were very lucky to get that snow event, as the pattern went to crap at the end of January. I haven't seen an accumulating snow > 1" in CNJ since the Jan 26-27 storm.

I think that there is an 85% chance NYC snow season is over. Some of the models runs have suggested snow, however then runs then drop it. In addition the general pattern does not point to snow and time is running out fast.

Yeah I agree next week is a thread the needle type deal. Been thinking for several weeks now that the snow season's just about over for NYC/coast. I still believe NYC will pull out one more accumulating snow though, if not next week, then within the March 20-April 10th time frame. I don't see us torching any time soon.

Honestly Alex you were very lucky to get that snow event, as the pattern went to crap at the end of January. I haven't seen an accumulating snow > 1" in CNJ since the Jan 26-27 storm.

Oh, so you got screwed over on the Feb 22 storm-- I think the first one went just north of you and the second one was just south. Nate and his 400 feet of elevation got 8" in storm 1. It was a 3-4 inch deal down here.

And to think, we would have surpassed 1995-1996 had it went well with January 11-12th.

It's amazing we were getting double-digit snowfalls every other week and now have been struggling to cob together an inch. Horrific. Power of the NAO.

It's amazing we were getting double-digit snowfalls every other week and now have been struggling to cob together an inch. Horrific. Power of the NAO.

Is it the NAO or is it the Pacific that needs to be boiled away into oblivion ;)

Archived