• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Virtual Severe Weather Forecast and Chase Contest

tornadotony

This one is much different and I feel like I'm probably going overboard with my mod but this looks like one of those late summer strong cold fronts that yield for the East Coast. A second weaker risk area would be out over the plains states with a second impulse moving in.

Target Area Richmond VA.

I feel I am going to go down an flames on this one though...

post-55-0-29680300-1299994156.png

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll see how badly this one goes...not that close to Stebo's...

The northeast threat looks like the typical threat there. High dew points make there way up, but clouds ongoing/storms at the start of the period. The cold front moves slowly so there is some room for some destabilization ahead of it. Shear looks decent over New England but rapidly becomes less impressive farther south. Certainly will yield some severe, and definitely slight risk worthy but I'm not going to pick a target in the northeast.

There appears to be some sort of a SLP tretching from SE MT into NE CO. One issue is winds appear to veer over most of the warm sector not back, although there is some directional shear, especially near the SLP. The warm sector appeares to be fairly well capped, with a good amount of sunshine in most of the warm sector by 18z. There is modest low level speed shear, however a decent mid to upper level jet streak does appear to be making its way towards the upper Plains at 12z. I'd count on some isolated convention from the central Plains south along the cold front/dry line that appears to be in place. The environment is well capped, but some low level shear and strong instability could yield a highly isolated severe threat over the central/southern Plains, not worthy of a slight risk but of a "see text" area.

Farther north, still decent instability. Winds tend to increase with height and gradually backing to the right with height, so think that with the incoming jet streak we will see the cap break over the far north during the evening. Might be some initial supercells possibly forming into some sort of an MCS by later at night. Think there could be half decent coverage of hail/wind reports and perhaps a few tornadoes, easily worthy of a slight risk. Debaited the moderate. Think with strong instability and decent shear that there might be just enough reports to justify a moderate.

Neither setup looks particuarly exciting from a chase standpoint, but will pick Edgemont, SD as my target...

post-525-0-69513500-1300030009.png

Have a feeling this is a "think outside the box" case, but after going over the maps for a bit, I'm stubbornly sticking with what seems like a semi-obvious target (from an ingredients perspective): GFK.

Meh... the counties on the east coast are way too small for my liking anyway. :lol:

post-972-0-82664600-1300046044.png

This was a big day in a fairly small area. Some of you may remember the mile-wide tornado that hit Northwood, ND.

post-97-0-10024100-1300155530.jpg

Round 5 points:

brettjrob: 32

cmichweather: 32

*IndyMeso*: 29

TheWeatherPimp: 16

Chicago Storm: 9

CandymanColumbusGA: 6

L.B. LaForce: 6

Thundersnow12: 6

OHweather: 2

Stebo48858: 1

Total through 5 rounds:

brettjrob: 117

Thundersnow12: 97

Chicago Storm: 63

thewxmann: 53

L.B. LaForce: 43

cmichweather: 41

*IndyMeso*: 38

OHweather: 33

TheWeatherPimp: 23

Stebo48858: 17

Kevin Askew: 11

CandymanColumbusGA: 10

IsoDerecho: 6

Chinook: 1

I won't have another case posted until sometime tomorrow.

• 6 months later...

Archived