• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Virtual Severe Weather Forecast and Chase Contest

tornadotony

One slight problem...if someone (like me) only wants to play a few of these events then there's basically no chance of getting to the championship round. :(

Pick and choose, and forecast and chase, wisely ;)...this is a really good round to start in on with points being worth 1.5x the usual...

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One slight problem...if someone (like me) only wants to play a few of these events then there's basically no chance of getting to the championship round. :(

one possible remedy.... we can rank by average points per round rather than total points. To be eligible one would have to had participated in at least half of the rounds.

Pretty rough forecasting without surface data, IMO. I leaned fairly liberal due to the uncertainty, simply because that's one mother of a trough. Feels kind of like a shot in the dark, though.

Target: Syracuse, NE

post-972-0-94555500-1299791664.png

really nice looking moisture axis up into NE but agreed, its stinks not having the sfc maps to look at.

really nice looking moisture axis up into NE but agreed, its stinks not having the sfc maps to look at.

Trust me, I've looked and looked and looked, and I can't find a map that wouldn't basically give everything away. I don't own Digital Atmosphere, which would be really helpful...

Looks like a late Apr/early May setup. Pretty classic, and I'm calling a High Risk for this one. Large gyre/closed low over Intermountain West. Cap looks fine.

Notes based on upper air data alone

1) I'm going to make a basic assumption and say that the gyre doesn't move much between 12Z and 0Z. This is corroborated by the fact that the 925mb low doesn't move much east over the time period. Neither does that quasistationary front in the northern Plains... the low essentially slides up the front. So the shortwaves are going to be mobile agents, and one is analyzed in SW TX at 12Z, looking at H5 and H7 data. As this pivots around into the warm sector I am going to expect supercell initiation near the dryline around 21Z (maybe even a little earlier) from srn NE south to ctrl OK. Cap issues further south (assuming an early May setup, and cap difficulties with H7 temps > 10C), will limit my enthusiasm further south.

2) At first I was concerned about moisture depth given the sw'ly 850's, but the 0Z 925mb data clearly suggests moisture quality is a-okay, and sfc winds should not be death-veered. Dryline at 0Z seems to be aligned just west of I-35, so the I-35 corridor may be impacted very greatly.

I feel like I could go just about anywhere and find a tornado lol. Preliminary target areas would be srn NE or NE KS closer to more backed winds but I am willing to go as far south as srn KS.

After seeing the surface data....

Still an amazing setup! S NE/N KS seems like the place to go. Pretty nice zone of just a tad more backed winds, and dryline bulge is evident. The two very close barbs in ctrl KS indicate temps of nearly 90F... I can only IMAGINE the lapse rates with H5 temps between -10 and -15C. Nice convergence with those SW'ly winds bumping up against the SSE-SE winds up in NE. Subtle boundary draped NW-SE across KS, separating more backed flow from more southerly flow, may do something later. Initiation in Northern KS might very well be underway. What a play going on there... my target would be just NW, near Superior or Deshler, NE. (Climatology also likes this area for tornadoes).

(But of course, every time I am enthusiastic about a setup, I get shot down, so be warned.)

Map will be posted shortly.

Looks like a late Apr/early May setup. Pretty classic, and I'm calling a High Risk for this one. Large gyre/closed low over Intermountain West. Cap looks fine.

Notes based on upper air data alone

1) I'm going to make a basic assumption and say that the gyre doesn't move much between 12Z and 0Z. This is corroborated by the fact that the 925mb low doesn't move much east over the time period. Neither does that quasistationary front in the northern Plains... the low essentially slides up the front. So the shortwaves are going to be mobile agents, and one is analyzed in SW TX at 12Z, looking at H5 and H7 data. As this pivots around into the warm sector I am going to expect supercell initiation near the dryline around 21Z (maybe even a little earlier) from srn NE south to ctrl OK. Cap issues further south (assuming an early May setup, and cap difficulties with H7 temps > 10C), will limit my enthusiasm further south.

2) At first I was concerned about moisture depth given the sw'ly 850's, but the 0Z 925mb data clearly suggests moisture quality is a-okay, and sfc winds should not be death-veered. Dryline at 0Z seems to be aligned just west of I-35, so the I-35 corridor may be impacted very greatly.

I feel like I could go just about anywhere and find a tornado lol. Preliminary target areas would be srn NE or NE KS closer to more backed winds but I am willing to go as far south as srn KS.

After seeing the surface data....

Still an amazing setup! S NE/N KS seems like the place to go. Pretty nice zone of just a tad more backed winds, and dryline bulge is evident. The two very close barbs in ctrl KS indicate temps of nearly 90F... I can only IMAGINE the lapse rates with H5 temps between -10 and -15C. Nice convergence with those SW'ly winds bumping up against the SSE-SE winds up in NE. Subtle boundary draped NW-SE across KS, separating more backed flow from more southerly flow, may do something later. Initiation in Northern KS might very well be underway. What a play going on there... my target would be just NW, near Superior or Deshler, NE. (Climatology also likes this area for tornadoes).

(But of course, every time I am enthusiastic about a setup, I get shot down, so be warned.)

Map will be posted shortly.

I need one county for the chase points.

Archived