wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
march 5-7 potential heavy rain event

earthlight

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM is .48" for NYC. Not even close to .75". This is on text soundings.

GFS is about .75" but haven't seen text output yet.

Regardless,

That is a massive cut in rain from 12z, which had 2-2.50".

look at the 60hr accumulated QPF amounts. Regardless, with a track like that were going to miss out on the heaviest stuff. I need to see more than one model suite to change the general concept of whats been advertised for days.

look at the 60hr accumulated QPF amounts. Regardless, with a track like that were going to miss out on the heaviest stuff. I need to see more than one model suite to change the general concept of whats been advertised for days.

I edited. NAM is .63" for NYC, based on text output.

Qpf is handled poor by any model. Look at if there is a strong LLJ, RRQ/LFQ of the upper jet overhead, precipital water values, or anything that would lead you to have a good idea of the potential qpf. The models will jump on the track of the frontal waves so it's kind of impossible to hang your hat on any one solution. Synoptics is where we need to be looking. Where is the frontal wave going to go based on the u/a maps? That and the things i mentioned above, should give you a better idea of how much will fall, or at least the potential.

Qpf is handled poor by any model. Look at if there is a strong LLJ, RRQ/LFQ of the upper jet overhead, precipital water values, or anything that would lead you to have a good idea of the potential qpf. The models will jump on the track of the frontal waves so it's kind of impossible to hang your hat on any one solution. Synoptics is where we need to be looking. Where is the frontal wave going to go based on the u/a maps? That and the things i mentioned above, should give you a better idea of how much will fall, or at least the potential.

Thanks, still learning obviously. I seem to be getting trolled the last week or so by one or two people that pretty much don't have a care in the world for anything but snowstorms. Why they feel the need to come in a thread titled "heavy rain threat" and troll leaves me scratching my head. It's too bad something has not been done about it.

why do you root for floods? nothing good at all comes from it unless you get off with others suffering

who said I was rooting for floods? I root for high impact weather no matter what form it takes because I enjoy experiencing severe weather. Certainly I would much rather have 30" of snow than 3" of rain but that's not going to happen with this event, and it never really had the chance too. There is more to weather than tracking thunderstorms and snowstorms. The fact of the matter is, the weather is going to do whatever the hell it pleases and no amount of will one way or another is going to affect the outcome. Of course I feel bad for those that are affected, but then again, it's not like I have any control over it.

The trend this evening has definately been dryer. 2-3" is looking like a long shot with a fast moving front that spawns a weak low riding it. Its just to fast and what is giving this thing moisture anyway? Those high amounts wont happen

Guest Patrick

I generally think you do focus a lot of time and energy on floods, even when we have a massive block and arctic air floating around, but I will give you this one... you made a good point =)

The NWS agrees with you:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/okx/

Might I also remind you this is the "heavy rain threat" thread and I wasn't even the one that started it, so If you don't want to here me talk about heavy rain potential, don't come into this thread.

who said I was rooting for floods? I root for high impact weather no matter what form it takes because I enjoy experiencing severe weather. Certainly I would much rather have 30" of snow than 3" of rain but that's not going to happen with this event, and it never really had the chance too. There is more to weather than tracking thunderstorms and snowstorms. The fact of the matter is, the weather is going to do whatever the hell it pleases and no amount of will one way or another is going to affect the outcome. Of course I feel bad for those that are affected, but then again, it's not like I have any control over it.

because you mention it all the time. considering part of your town goes under water i dont understand why you seem to want it. Guess you dont like the village people section of pompton plains or the triangle hofbrau section(ok tiffs now) guess those less fortunate folks bring down the rest of  your upper class town.

because you mention it all the time. considering part of your town goes under water i dont understand why you seem to want it. Guess you dont like the village people section of pompton plains or the triangle hofbrau section(ok tiffs now) guess those less fortunate folks bring down the rest of your upper class town.

I don't root for floods, I sometimes talk about flood potential when there is alot of snow on the ground. I'm a firefighter and I spent 48hrs last March doing non-stop flood evacuations and rescues. I know what alot of snow can bring because of last year which is why my awarness is much higher than it use to be. As far as rooting for a heavy rain event for this week, who said anything about that. I'm just reporting the models as I see them, and yes, I don't like boring weather, love severe weather. I'm a weather nut, nothing makes me happier than a 40" snowstorm, but they cann't all be snow. Again, I have no control over the final outcome.

...FLOODING POSSIBLE SUNDAY...

.LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP ALONG AN APPROACHING COLD FRONT AND

TRACK ACROSS OR NEAR THE TRI-STATE AREA LATE SUNDAY INTO SUNDAY

NIGHT. THIS STORM WILL PRODUCE A PERIOD OF HEAVY RAIN ACROSS THE

REGION.

NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ069-061015-

/O.EXT.KOKX.FA.A.0003.110306T1500Z-110307T1100Z/

/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

WESTERN PASSAIC-EASTERN PASSAIC-HUDSON-WESTERN BERGEN-

EASTERN BERGEN-WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-WESTERN UNION-

EASTERN UNION-ROCKLAND-

341 PM EST SAT MAR 5 2011

...FLOOD WATCH NOW IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE

SUNDAY NIGHT...

THE FLOOD WATCH IS NOW IN EFFECT FOR

* PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...

INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING AREAS...IN NORTHEAST NEW

JERSEY...BERGEN...ESSEX...PASSAIC...UNION AND HUDSON. IN

SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...ROCKLAND.

* FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE SUNDAY NIGHT

* ONE TO TWO INCHES OF RAIN IS EXPECTED SUNDAY INTO SUNDAY NIGHT.

LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE. AT THIS TIME...THE HEAVIEST

RAIN IS EXPECTED TO FALL DURING THE AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING

HOURS.

* RAINFALL OF THIS MAGNITUDE WILL ALLOW STREAMS TO OVERFLOW

THEIR BANKS.

* MINOR URBAN AND POOR DRAINAGE FLOODING IS POSSIBLE DUE TO THE

HEAVY RAIN.

* THE SADDLE...RAMAPO AND RAHWAY RIVERS WILL BE MOST SUSCEPTIBLE

TO FLOODING.

Archived