wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
march 5-7 potential heavy rain event

earthlight

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, tracking these rainstorms brings back bad memories of the 2007-08 winter and to some extent 2008-09. The past several weeks have been the complete reverse of the front half of winter -- utterly, borderline painfully boring pattern.

2008-09 was a good winter here, not at all similar to the painfully sordid affair we suffered in 07-08. 45" on the season with two storms of 8"+ and an Arctic outbreak with highs in the mid teens is solid for Westchester; it wasn't a blockbuster because we didn't have the huge coastals, but for those in northern sections of the CWA, there are plenty of fond memories of the 08-09 winter. A lot of the SW flow events were highly latitude dependent so I wouldn't be surprised if your area only got 1-3" whereas I got 4-6" in Westchester, such as the 1/28 storm. Very sharp contrast with Central Park only at 28" that winter and DC in the single digits. Vermont got buried of course...

We just can't seem to get the NAO back into its negative state; the low heights over Baffin Island and Northern Canada have been there since mid-February and aren't moving quickly. We have another PV forecasted to come into Canada but the GoA low underneath the big Aleutian ridge/block isn't allowing that vortex to penetrate far enough south to influence our pattern. We're seeing a very 07-08 like pattern with colder than normal temperatures over Canada not impacting the East Coast because the Bermuda High is so well established and storms keep tracking to our west. It's going to be a difficult regime to break since the storm track is normally further north anyway in March, so there's not much room for improvement.

0z NAM dry.

Barely .50" for NYC. LI is only .25".

noreaster85 promised 2-3 inches of rain. He has been tracking it for days.

This happened last week too. Without a stj or split flow, you aren't going to see these ridiculous amounts, especially in a progressive system.

noreaster85 promised 2-3 inches of rain. He has been tracking it for days.

This happened last week too. Without a stj or split flow, you aren't going to see these ridiculous amounts, especially in a progressive system.

yes, or a lack of a closed-cutoff low.

let's wait to see the rest of the 0z guidance before everyone starts to hug models. The NAM has been on the progressive side for days with a few slower outlier runs here and there. I would think that the 12z runs tommorrow will be the most important. And troll, I mean trials, you might want to check that run again because NYC is right around 0.75" on this run.

nam_p60_060l.gif

2008-09 was a good winter here, not at all similar to the painfully sordid affair we suffered in 07-08. 45" on the season with two storms of 8"+ and an Arctic outbreak with highs in the mid teens is solid for Westchester; it wasn't a blockbuster because we didn't have the huge coastals, but for those in northern sections of the CWA, there are plenty of fond memories of the 08-09 winter. A lot of the SW flow events were highly latitude dependent so I wouldn't be surprised if your area only got 1-3" whereas I got 4-6" in Westchester, such as the 1/28 storm. Very sharp contrast with Central Park only at 28" that winter and DC in the single digits. Vermont got buried of course...

We just can't seem to get the NAO back into its negative state; the low heights over Baffin Island and Northern Canada have been there since mid-February and aren't moving quickly. We have another PV forecasted to come into Canada but the GoA low underneath the big Aleutian ridge/block isn't allowing that vortex to penetrate far enough south to influence our pattern. We're seeing a very 07-08 like pattern with colder than normal temperatures over Canada not impacting the East Coast because the Bermuda High is so well established and storms keep tracking to our west. It's going to be a difficult regime to break since the storm track is normally further north anyway in March, so there's not much room for improvement.

2008-09 was about a normal winter here, finished with 29.5". Had the SECS in early Feb then the March 2nd MECS which was pretty nice. Overall though, Dec and Jan had too many SW flow events with 1-3" snows changing to ZR then cold rain. And snow cover in January was basically a trace, in contrast to better depths just to our north. Certainly a good improvement from 07-08 but still on the boring side. I guess I'm getting spoiled though, a 30" winter is boring to me now. :weight_lift:

It's looking now like the northern stream wants to partially phase with the southern stream S/W instead of the northern stream outrunning it like it has been doing for the most part on prior runs. We will have to wait and see if this idea continues into the runs tommorrow. Of course this solution brings the low to our west and we don't get in on the massive amounts of QPF, It's not that the models have backed off on QPF in general so far tonight, its the timing of the two streams leading to the changes aloft and the resulting track and intensity of the low.

let's wait to see the rest of the 0z guidance before everyone starts to hug models. The NAM has been on the progressive side for days with a few slower outlier runs here and there. I would think that the 12z runs tommorrow will be the most important. And troll, I mean trials, you might want to check that run again because NYC is right around 0.75" on this

NAM is .63". This is on text soundings.

GFS is about .75" but haven't seen text output yet.

Regardless,

That is a massive cut in rain from 12z, which had 2-2.50".

Archived