Newest Member
    Toothache
March 4-6 Potential Winter Storm part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, any idea on what is going to happen? :P

It is going to be real tough to develop a defo band with this overall setup and a good back end shot of snow with the overal positive tilt mean trough. Best threat would have been if the southern wave ejected ahead of the northern shortvwave. With the southern wave lagging behind--the northern shortwave will have to do all the work--and it will be a bit moisture starved on the backend and late to the game. For you some light snow on the very back end is a good threat--but light and probably not much in the way of accumulation at this time. Watch the wave config though--if that southern wave trends faster--it would be much better--but for now that doesn't look too likely. Also watch the northern wave--if it can even take a slight negative tilt within the mean trough--perhaps it could develop a better defo band and drop a couple inches of backend snow--but also a low end threat.

It is going to be real tough to develop a defo band with this overall setup and a good back end shot of snow with the overal positive tilt mean trough. Best threat would have been if the southern wave ejected ahead of the northern shortvwave. With the southern wave lagging behind--the northern shortwave will have to do all the work--and it will be a bit moisture starved on the backend and late to the game. For you some light snow on the very back end is a good threat--but light and probably not much in the way of accumulation at this time. Watch the wave config though--if that southern wave trends faster--it would be much better--but for now that doesn't look too likely. Also watch the northern wave--if it can even take a slight negative tilt within the mean trough--perhaps it could develop a better defo band and drop a couple inches of backend snow--but also a low end threat.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Odd cause it was one of the highest not to long ago! It seems to be an outlier in those terms then as most all of the models are pretty high in QPF.

QPF seems too low considering the moisture transport and relatively slow progression, not to mention the likelihood of elevated instability/thunder which would locally enhance totals.

Guys, help those of us with only freebies out. At 48 I see a strung out area of lp from Lk Huron to the Gulf, and then at 72 I see a closed 1012 NE of Lk Ontario. Is that the same low, or does the first one collapse and a new one spawn?

It is mostly rain for all. Perhaps up to a inch as it is pulling out. It tries to fire another which rides directly over your head and thus when the cold air gets in the precip is pulling out. Couple of inches in N.MI ( North of Grand Rapids to north of Thumb ) perhaps but that is it. It does pop another as well east of the apps which rides up the coast and dumps a few inches plus near/just west of i95/New England.

NAM is trying to develop a back end defo band and was much faster with the southern stream wave and a better phase than 12Z. Still a low threat but it does have back end snows for IN/N OH and into S MI and Toronto--although areas like Toronto are in a much better place.

The whole ul trough just crawls after 54. Gives sufficiently cold air a chance to rush in and turn some of that moisture plume into snow. Decent looking accums in the deformation zone for a trough that's pos. tilt.

Very narrow corridor though. Tough to get too excited, although the multiple wave aspect of this storm, regardless of whether it produces accum. snow, is pretty neat.

DTX:

THE SOMEWHAT PHASED

AND POSITIVELY TILTED UPPER TROUGH AXIS IS SHOWN BY ALL OF THE

MODELS TO BE OVER THE PLAINS AS LATE AS 12Z SATURDAY AND NOT IN

GOOD POSITION TO SUPPORT MUCH SURFACE WAVE FORMATION. THIS

REQUIRES WE ALLOW COLDER AIR TO MAKE IT FARTHER SOUTH INTO OUR

AREA FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING REPRESENTED BY THE RETURN

TO AT LEAST A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW DURING SATURDAY, EVENTUALLY

TRANSITIONING TO ALL SNOW SATURDAY NIGHT. LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPMENT

ALONG THIS TROUGH THEN LOOKS BETTER IN THE MODEL DATA LATER

SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY WITH THE HELP OF THE UPPER LEVEL WAVE

MOVING THROUGH THE GREAT LAKES. UNCERTAINTY AT THIS POINT IN THE

FORECAST REVOLVES MORE AROUND THE TRACK OF THE WAVE AND WESTWARD

EXTENT OF THE PRECIPITATION SHIELD. THIS SHOULD RESULT IN A COUPLE

INCHES OF SNOW ACCUMULATION BEFORE THE SYSTEM EXITS SE MICHIGAN

SUNDAY MORNING BUT ALSO REQUIRES MONITORING FOR POTENTIAL

OVERACHIEVEMENT DUE TO WESTWARD TRACK ADJUSTMENTS.

Soundings will give a better picture, but on its plots, the 18z GFS brings the sfc freezing line through 3z on Sunday, while the 0c 850 line lags back until after 9z. Maybe some icing potential?

yes ive noted that here too on other models also....you can see the SREFs have been showing that zone of ice between the rain leaving and the snow coming.......guess the strong high to the NW looks to advect cold air in at the surface.... defintely looks like a rain to frzra to snow scenario will be expected.

Not 100% sure, but I think every other model has trended away from the deeper NW solution for the first wave. I'd probably throw out the RGEM if that's the case, especially considering its bias.

Actually the RGEM would be the weakest with the first wave ( Almost doesn't have it but can be seen just north of Superior ) and thus how this manages to sneak up into N.IN.

Not 100% sure, but I think every other model has trended away from the deeper NW solution for the first wave. I'd probably throw out the RGEM if that's the case, especially considering its bias.

Actually the 18z UKMET has the low in the exact same spot as the RGEM (and has been advertising a similar track for many runs in a row now)

post-5455-0-81067900-1299192079.png

Actually the RGEM would be the weakest with the first wave ( Almost doesn't have it but can be seen just north of Superior ) and thus how this manages to sneak up into N.IN.

The wave numbering is starting to get confusing. I've been calling the Saturday storm "1" and the Sunday wave up/just west/east of the Apps as storm "2". I haven't even been considering tomorrow's lead wave. :arrowhead:

Comparing the 18z RGEM/UKIE to the 18z NAM, the differences may not be as big as I thought. RGEM/UKIE have a ~1004 over FWA at 48, NAM has a 1012 over Pt Huron, so the latter models are deeper/slower, but not a massive difference. The GFS with the 1016 "turd" in the OV is pretty different, but its consistency with that solution has been pretty spectacular.

The wave numbering is starting to get confusing. I've been calling the Saturday storm "1" and the Sunday wave up/just west/east of the Apps as storm "2". I haven't even been considering tomorrow's lead wave. :arrowhead:

Comparing the 18z RGEM/UKIE to the 18z NAM, the differences may not be as big as I thought. RGEM/UKIE have a ~1004 over FWA at 48, NAM has a 1012 over Pt Huron, so the latter models are deeper/slower, but not a massive difference. The GFS with the 1016 "turd" in the OV is pretty different, but its consistency with that solution has been pretty spectacular.

The Euro looks like the GFS in that regard. Usually hard to bet against that combo but it's hard to bet on any model in this complicated setup.

its basically the GFS versus everyone.

actually i take it back

the GFS has some support of the NAM, except the NAM is further north and west by about 50 miles with the wave train initially. that makes a lot of difference as the wave train makes further inroads N and delays the cold air coming in.

the euro/gem/ukie just have a warm wave train intiially that crosses the area.

the ukie and euro develop the secondary much later and along the coast after the wave train has passed east. the GEM doesnt develop a secondary low.

yes ive noted that here too on other models also....you can see the SREFs have been showing that zone of ice between the rain leaving and the snow coming.......guess the strong high to the NW looks to advect cold air in at the surface.... defintely looks like a rain to frzra to snow scenario will be expected.

I ran 18z GFS on BUFKIT for YYZ. Only 3" of snow, but more than 1/3" of ice, plus a couple of hours of ice pellets.

Archived