northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 7th-9th Potential Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z GFS is all snow for MSN, shows 5-6" of concrete coming down through tomorrow evening. The warm conveyor aloft is not gonna get much stronger than now, and will be gone by sunrise. This is officially interesting.

What we need now is a heavy burst of precip to saturate the dry air and get things started.

00z GFS is all snow for MSN, shows 5-6" of concrete coming down through tomorrow evening. The warm conveyor aloft is not gonna get much stronger than now, and will be gone by sunrise. This is officially interesting.

What we need now is a heavy burst of precip to saturate the dry air and get things started.

My initial inclination with these kinds of tracks is that Mke will get screwed while Madison gets a bunch. While I didn't think that this entire time, I'm now back to seeing that being the case. We're at 35, and it may be tough to get back near freezing. Not only that, I have an inkling some dry air is inhibiting the precip from expanding across the area.

Like canuck said, it makes you wonder if the models will be in catch up mode. I'd be watching with interest in Ohio, eastern Michigan and even parts of Indiana.

SE MI was struck by another surprise snowstorm Saturday night due to a similar setup. A few models hinted at it 2-3 days ahead of time, then they fizzled this scenario out til nowcast time (well, at least they had snow way east), then the region was hit with a 3-5" snowfall. I purposely emptied my rain gague once the rain switched to snow. Ended up with 0.30" water and 4.7" snow, although no models had over 0.10" qpf as snow except the WRF.

RUC/HRRR both show 30-35 dbz snows throughout S. WI around 8 hours from now. HRRR lasts some good snows for at least 6-7 hours, while RUC has most of the precip out a bit sooner.

RUC is about 5 inches of snow here, while HRRR is like 1 (everywhere around me was 4-5+ lol)

Should be interesting. 32.5 right now here.

Tonight's 00z RGEM and GFS have trended a tad colder for the Toronto area. The RGEM is now showing a period of moderate to heavy snow from 1 pm to 6-7 pm tomorrow before changing to rain. The 12z RGEM from earlier today mainly showed a mix of rain and snow.

My preliminary snowfall forecast for the city of Toronto is as follows:

Lake Ontario shoreline to Bloor St.: 2-4" (5-10 cm)

Midtown Toronto from Bloor St. to Highway 401: 3-5" (8-13 cm)

Highway 401 and points north to Steeles Ave: 5-7" (13-18 cm)

I'm really interested to see how this plays out in Ottawa. EC has us getting up to 33F tomorrow. Hopefully that will be yet another EC bust. Great to see our tax dollars at work.

RUC/HRRR both show 30-35 dbz snows throughout S. WI around 8 hours from now. HRRR lasts some good snows for at least 6-7 hours, while RUC has most of the precip out a bit sooner.

RUC is about 5 inches of snow here, while HRRR is like 1 (everywhere around me was 4-5+ lol)

Should be interesting. 32.5 right now here.

Everywhere? Even near the lake?

Give you credit for holding out... Miracles don't happen here though bud.

You're right. I will, though, direct you to Feb 20. Coincidentally, look who started that thread. I got about 4-5 inches when I wasn't sure if I would get much of anything, followed by 3-4 inches from a disturbance. A nice surprise. Widespread surprises don't happen, so you are right about that.

You're right. I will, though, direct you to Feb 20. Coincidentally, look who started that thread. I got about 4-5 inches when I wasn't sure if I would get much of anything, followed by 3-4 inches from a disturbance. A nice surprise. Widespread surprises don't happen, so you are right about that.

Feb 20th was a lot more favorable and 4-5" by you wasn't really all that much of a surprise. we knew there was going to be a tight gradient in mke and it played out perfect imo. maybe a little high here.

Feb 20th was a lot more favorable and 4-5" by you wasn't really all that much of a surprise. we knew there was going to be a tight gradient in mke and it played out perfect imo. maybe a little high here.

You know what made it a miracle? Temps started out around 34 or 35 at the onset, yet north of I94 pretty much avoided any rain; there were periods of freezing rain and sleet, but a cold rain was sparsely found north of 94, even with marginal temps. That made it a near miracle in my book.

You know what made it a miracle? Temps started out around 34 or 35 at the onset, yet north of I94 pretty much avoided any rain; there were periods of freezing rain and sleet, but a cold rain was sparsely found north of 94, even with marginal temps. That made it a near miracle in my book.

Meh - the setup was modeled pretty nice for the eastern counties along with decent precip rates... naso much this time around in the east. There has been zero chance here for a week. Stronger it was gonig west and weaker is what we have now.. still rain

Archived