gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
March 2011 general obs/discussion thread

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the effects of -NAO tend to diminish as you move west.

Harry was wondering if the MJO was going to cause as more wintry start to to spring than a springy one.

A soggy, damp morning. Had 0.81" rain with the event, nearing 6" precip since Feb 1st. Snow depth a T, but barely, 97% of the exposed ground (not counting piles) is bare. No matter, another snowstorm may be just hours away :wub:

Harry was wondering if the MJO was going to cause as more wintry start to to spring than a springy one.

A soggy, damp morning. Had 0.81" rain with the event, nearing 6" precip since Feb 1st. Snow depth a T, but barely, 97% of the exposed ground (not counting piles) is bare. No matter, another snowstorm may be just hours away :wub:

MJO (don't know a whole lot about it) could be driving the -NAO depiction. Should note that the GEFS overall are warmer than the OP GFS.

AS TROUGH MOVES INTO FAR WESTERN MINNESOTA. MODELS CONTINUE TO SHOW UPPER RIDGE MOVING ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA FRIDAY AFTERNOON WITH 850 MB TEMPERATURES WARMING TO AROUND 6 TO 8 C BY LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON. FRIDAY IS EXPECTED TO BE A RATHER MILD DAY WITH HIGH TEMPERATURES CLIMBING INTO THE 40S WITH A FEW LOCATIONS EDGING INTO THE LOWER 50S.

I'm riding the EURO...although its not like the GFS is all that cold.. Still shows some good 50F+ temps next week..

No matter what, the snow we have will pretty much be gone. Its melting good right now and its around freezing. Sun all day and 38F, tomorrow near 50F with sun... Once we get rid of the snowpack, temps will be able to rebound that much faster when real warmth does show up. I think April could be a scorcher, with possible record temps.

It is looking more likely. One thing for sure is i would not get to comfortable with anything the models show beyond the weekend. For now this mainly applies for the GL on east but odd's are rapidly increasing farther to the west as well as this wave moves along. Now in phase 1. Thus don't be shocked if models start switching up in the next day or two. Could be longer as models have a habit of hanging on a bit longer to well established patterns which we have had for some time now. Basically means we could see some short term wild swings in models and thus things may sneak up on us rather quickly. Guess we will see anyways.

Wow, finally the GFS is on-board the heat train. The 12z shows temps in the 50s and 60s here every day for ten straight days beginning on day 5. The Euro is even warmer for day 7 with 850 temps in Iowa reaching 16-20+. I'd love to know what the Euro is showing for surface temps during that period.

I am jubilant to hear about the warmup! This snowpack has been extremely resilient, we still have on average one to 3 inches of snow on the ground at GR...time to go! I want to get on my bike and ride!

OT, but does anyone know where to find information concerning the total days of 1" plus snowcover per NWS station? I'm curious what GRR is at.

A warm up would be nice...

Now that I am working, and can afford some new camera gear (soon), I need to be out trackside, taking photos. Didn't do much of that over the winter.

I am about tired of the cold and dreary, but overall, have few complaints about the winter. Looking forward to seeing what the severe weather season is like.

Wow, finally the GFS is on-board the heat train. The 12z shows temps in the 50s and 60s here every day for ten straight days beginning on day 5. The Euro is even warmer for day 7 with 850 temps in Iowa reaching 16-20+. I'd love to know what the Euro is showing for surface temps during that period.

75F 2M temps brush S. Iowa by Friday.

75F 2M temps brush S. Iowa by Friday.

Outta get some of the early shrubs blooming, sap is oozing from my Maples and crocuses have emerged about an inch high. The temps will feel very nice, time to wash out that garage. Is this the pattern buster or do we go back to cooler time in April?

Archived