• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion part 2

Hoosier

EPIC February here in the Detroit area. Todays snowstorm dropped 3.3" at DTW, bringing the monthly total to 31.1" and etching February 2011 into the weather books. Once Feb is over I will be starting a thread for DTW sort of similar to the "Chicago making snowfall history" thread.

Detroits 5 snowiest months of all-time:

38.4" - February 1908

34.9" - December 1974

31.1" - February 2011 thru Feb 25th

30.2" - March 1900

29.6" - January 1978

Detroits top snowstorms of February 2011:

10.3" - Feb 1/2

10.2" - Feb 20/21

4.8" - Feb 5

3.3" - Feb 25

MBY top snowstorms of February 2011

10.2" - Feb 20/21

10.1" - Feb 1/2

4.3" - Feb 25

4.1" - Feb 5

Notice your iyby average is up to 45". Mine's down to 47.4". Soon you'll overtake me. Boggles my mind as to why you're (and areas to your west) getting progressively snowier while I'm headed in the opposite direction. Can't blame -AO/-NAO. This is something that's been gradually happening for decades.

And I guarantee you if I move to Windsor, Toronto will become a snow mecca.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give this winter a B+. The lack of a 12+ storm is keeping me from giviing it an A

Not me. In fact, Im upping my grade from an "A" to an "A+". Thats looking at the big picture. At 58.5" im still behind 2002-03, 04-05, 07-08, and 08-09. Though its late feb and we have plenty of snow season to go, whether or not i surpass any or all of those in total snowfall is a moot point. At 70 days and counting of 1"+ snwdpth, this is my whitest winter ever, and at dtw the whitest since 1981-82. And thats just for statistical purposes, saying 1"+ that is...most days 6"+ and a lot of days 10"+. All three months of winter were colder than normal. Ive had thundersnow 3 times. Ive had two 10" snowstorms. Feb at 31.3" and counting is my snowiest month (beating 31.2" in jan 2005). Honestly this IS a downriver detroit winter so im basking in it as i know next year, even if we have a good winter (which early indicators are once again we will) i doubt my area will be the sweetspot again! By my all-encompassing view of all the aspects of winter, Id be a damn fool to give this winter anything less than an A+, 12" storm or not. :snowman:

On a side note, the Wayne county road commissioner was fired due to poor clearing of Sundays surprise 10" snowstorm.

Notice your iyby average is up to 45". Mine's down to 47.4". Soon you'll overtake me. Boggles my mind as to why you're (and areas to your west) getting progressively snowier while I'm headed in the opposite direction. Can't blame -AO/-NAO. This is something that's been gradually happening for decades.

And I guarantee you if I move to Windsor, Toronto will become a snow mecca.

I know I just cant explain it...I mean we are eclipsing average at a ridiculous rate where its to the point "average" isnt "average" anymore. Last years 43.7" of snow at DTW is looked at as a "mild" winter by the public as it had 65.7" and 71.7" winters preceeding it and now what surely looks to be a 60+" winter following it. Ummm....longterm 130-year average is not quite 41". Hell, a 43.7" winter would be considered a good winter in the 1990s (not to mention the 1940s or 1960s).

Not me. In fact, Im upping my grade from an "A" to an "A+". Thats looking at the big picture. At 58.5" im still behind 2002-03, 04-05, 07-08, and 08-09. Though its late feb and we have plenty of snow season to go, whether or not i surpass any or all of those in total snowfall is a moot point. At 70 days and counting of 1"+ snwdpth, this is my whitest winter ever, and at dtw the whitest since 1981-82. And thats just for statistical purposes, saying 1"+ that is...most days 6"+ and a lot of days 10"+. All three months of winter were colder than normal. Ive had thundersnow 3 times. Ive had two 10" snowstorms. Feb at 31.3" and counting is my snowiest month (beating 31.2" in jan 2005). Honestly this IS a downriver detroit winter so im basking in it as i know next year, even if we have a good winter (which early indicators are once again we will) i doubt my area will be the sweetspot again! By my all-encompassing view of all the aspects of winter, Id be a damn fool to give this winter anything less than an A+, 12" storm or not. :snowman:

On a side note, the Wayne county road commissioner was fired due to poor clearing of Sundays surprise 10" snowstorm.

Yea we all have different opinions and criteria but I could care less about snow cover, past winter numbers, the brutal cold temps , etc. I am about extreme snowy weather and the lack of a big storm just proves more of a point that our area is just in a tough geographical location for big snows. The feb 1st storm (strength, dynamics wise in our region) is about as close as we have come to getting a 2 foot plus storm in decades. Was definitely a good winter, but it could have been better. The dry, freezing period from dec 12 to jan 12th was depressing.

Yea we all have different opinions and criteria but I could care less about snow cover, past winter numbers, the brutal cold temps , etc. I am about extreme snowy weather and the lack of a big storm just proves more of a point that our area is just in a tough geographical location for big snows. The feb 1st storm (strength, dynamics wise in our region) is about as close as we have come to getting a 2 foot plus storm in decades. Was definitely a good winter, but it could have been better. The dry, freezing period from dec 12 to jan 12th was depressing.

True, we all have differing opinions. Although I could argue that if you like extreme snowy weather, then you cant beat February lol (though you did say B+, which is pretty good). Also, speaking of big storms....a lot of people use the 6"+ number as a threshold for big snowstorms. We have been seeing 6"+ snowstorms this past decade at a pace never before seen in recorded history. So I would strongly dispute that statement that were a tough location for big snows. Our climo is literally changing before our eyes in terms of getting more big snows than ever before. HOWEVER....i will agree that while we are setting snowfall records left, right and sideways year after year anymore, we just cant seem to get the big/epic storm. It will come one day, but right now Im more than content with our snowy winters, epic storm or not. As for the dry period Dec 12-Jan 12, every winter has one of those. At least we had snow for Christmas despite the boring pattern (I know you dont care for snowcover, just saying).

True, we all have differing opinions. Although I could argue that if you like extreme snowy weather, then you cant beat February lol (though you did say B+, which is pretty good). Also, speaking of big storms....a lot of people use the 6"+ number as a threshold for big snowstorms. We have been seeing 6"+ snowstorms this past decade at a pace never before seen in recorded history. So I would strongly dispute that statement that were a tough location for big snows. Our climo is literally changing before our eyes in terms of getting more big snows than ever before. HOWEVER....i will agree that while we are setting snowfall records left, right and sideways year after year anymore, we just cant seem to get the big/epic storm. It will come one day, but right now Im more than content with our snowy winters, epic storm or not. As for the dry period Dec 12-Jan 12, every winter has one of those. At least we had snow for Christmas despite the boring pattern (I know you dont care for snowcover, just saying).

Agreed. I don't know much about our history as much as you do, (which is impressive, your knowledge of detroit weather history) but it's interesting that the number of decent storms as increased in recent years. I always took my parents word for it when they said winters were a lot more brutal when they were growing up snow wise, but they might just be remembering one or two good ones and forgetting about the dry spells they had.

Agreed. I don't know much about our history as much as you do, (which is impressive, your knowledge of detroit weather history) but it's interesting that the number of decent storms as increased in recent years. I always took my parents word for it when they said winters were a lot more brutal when they were growing up snow wise, but they might just be remembering one or two good ones and forgetting about the dry spells they had.

I dont know how to explain it, but since the beginning of time...the older generations said winters used to be harsher when they were kids. Your parents probably heard it from their parents who heard it from their parents and so on. Thats been going on everywhere that sees snow basically lol. The 1970s were a harsh decade, so if thats your parents decade I will give them that, but this is right up with the 1970s.

Here are the official 6"+ storms per decade at Detroit. My gosh weve had FIVE already this decade, which is just over one year old!!!

1910s-- 9 storms

1920s--14 storms

1930s---9 storms

1940s---1 storms

1950s---5 storms

1960s---5 storms

1970s--14 storms

1980s--11 storms

1990s--11 storms

2000s--16 storms

2010s*- 5 storms * thru Feb 2011*

Snowing pretty good here in the right entrance region of the jet streak. Lots of dendrites, not much aggregating though since temperatures are so cold throughout the column. Temps look cold enough to sustain whatever falls today for awhile. The remnants of the old snowpack are still around too underneath the new snow.

Snowing nicely, adding some more to our epic February, but definitely looks like the best snow stays to my north. Its getting downright comical how its always snowing this winter lol. My brother says to me..."weve had, what, like 3 days this winter where it DINDT snow?" lol

flint has to have 3-4 inches already with the band sitting over them. Nice band from flint due west

Picked up almost 6 inches from the system last night and tonight's event. Snowpack is now over a foot again and our seasonal snowfall is now at 103 inches, which is our avg. annual snowfall. With more snow likely to come, we will definitely be above normal for snow this winter.

Yesterdays snowfall dropped only 0.6" here, so for once, my area of SE MI relatively got the shaft lol. That was more or less what was expected, but it just seemed hard to believe this winter :lol: It was a definite overperformer in Flint/Saginaw area with 4-6".

So as of now, February stands at 31.9" imby and 31.7" at DTW. Just epic :wub: Season is just a spit away from 60" (58.9" at DTW, 59.1" imby) and when we hit it, which we very likely will.....that too will be amazing. It will be the FIFTH winter in the last NINE years to hit 60"+!! For comparison, in the 122 years from 1880-2001, there were TEN winters total that hit 60"+! Will be starting a thread soon on it...

Unless tomorrow's system throws us a monkey wrench, I should finish Feb with 18.8" of snow. This is after 20.0" in January. Hopefully the backloaded theme will continue in March, but if not, I'm content. I got to average which is all you can really ask for in a given winter. Well, that, and a big storm, but I'm at the point where I'm fairly certain I'll have to wait for next winter for that opportunity.

Agree 100%

Just saw this now. For me two 10" snowstorms is greater than one 14" storm or whatever (depending what the next highest storm was I guess). Again though, everyone has their own grading scale on whats most important, so thats understandable. For me, anything less than an A is criminal, considering the winter is climbing higher and higher in the top 20 snowiest winters with each snowfall, and may very well end near the very top of all-time snowcovered winters. Again, thats me.

Anyway, took a walk in the park today to enjoy a gray winter day. Snow is now getting like thick mashed potatoes outside as its in the upper 30s.

Archived