• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The I hate spring thread

Ji

Yes the power outages last year were absolutely terrible. But the thrill of going through 90mph winds was well worth it. I think once we get winter off our minds, and head into summer, we'll start looking for the severewx threats again. The Changing seasons seem to go hand in hand with swinging emotions for wx weenies.

I think the reason the power outages were so bad was the peristance of the winds throughout the storm instead of 1 gust then done. Once the first gusts hit, they seemed to only get worse throughout the storm.

Very true. That July 25 storm was amazing for the blast of wind as it came through, an impressive bow-echo. The August 6 storm that hit in the early morning was equally incredible, I remember how absolutely dark it was, with that sort of greenish-gray light.

I'd wager the power outages (in MoCo at least!) were also so bad because of Pepco...only slightly joking here :lol: ! I know there are a lot of trees in this particular area, and a lot of large, old ones too. If they'd actually get people to prune the trees from the lines correctly, rather than just hacking out a bunch of large branches, that might alleviate some of the problem.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk of the last part of winter as we head toward spring makes me recall one of the most dramatic weather related turn-arounds I've seen, in northeast Ohio (where getting winter weather into April is far from unusual). The last weekend of March 1987 was one of those first really nice weekends of the year...sunny, pleasant, and in the low 70s. That was on a Sunday. The following day, later Monday into early Tuesday, Cleveland got ~16" of heavy, wet snow. Basically what happened was a strong front went through Sunday night, and a decent wave developed and moved along it.

I was not there at the time to actually experience it unfortunately (was in college at Purdue), but certainly heard a lot about that from my family and I read a fair amount. I still have a copy of the Cleveland Plain Dealer front page, showing a cop attempting to direct traffic in white-out conditions. The headline read, "16.4 inches of snow, but worst is over". I also have a clipping from the previous day with a picture at one of the metro parks with people out enjoying the day; the headline was, "Spring's embrace" and underneath that a small blurb to the effect of "Enjoy it now. Tomorrow it may be snowing", or something like that. Where I was at in Indiana, we didn't get any snow but had an equally dramatic change in temperature.

All this talk of the last part of winter as we head toward spring makes me recall one of the most dramatic weather related turn-arounds I've seen, in northeast Ohio (where getting winter weather into April is far from unusual). The last weekend of March 1987 was one of those first really nice weekends of the year...sunny, pleasant, and in the low 70s. That was on a Sunday. The following day, later Monday into early Tuesday, Cleveland got ~16" of heavy, wet snow. Basically what happened was a strong front went through Sunday night, and a decent wave developed and moved along it.

I was not there at the time to actually experience it unfortunately (was in college at Purdue), but certainly heard a lot about that from my family and I read a fair amount. I still have a copy of the Cleveland Plain Dealer front page, showing a cop attempting to direct traffic in white-out conditions. The headline read, "16.4 inches of snow, but worst is over". I also have a clipping from the previous day with a picture at one of the metro parks with people out enjoying the day; the headline was, "Spring's embrace" and underneath that a small blurb to the effect of "Enjoy it now. Tomorrow it may be snowing", or something like that. Where I was at in Indiana, we didn't get any snow but had an equally dramatic change in temperature.

To add to this, later that week, and into the first weekend of April, parts of the Southern Apps got a tremendous snowfall. I have pictures from April 4, 1987 of heavy snow falling, about 20 inches on the ground, with more to come. It was a very elevation dependent event, and if I remember correctly, it was a cutoff storm system. It dumped upwards of 30 inches of snow in places. I was living in SWVA at the time, elevation ranging in the towns from about 1600 feet to about 2500 feet. Boone NC reported amazing snowfall totals if I remember correctly.

To add to this, later that week, and into the first weekend of April, parts of the Southern Apps got a tremendous snowfall. I have pictures from April 4, 1987 of heavy snow falling, about 20 inches on the ground, with more to come. It was a very elevation dependent event, and if I remember correctly, it was a cutoff storm system. It dumped upwards of 30 inches of snow in places. I was living in SWVA at the time, elevation ranging in the towns from about 1600 feet to about 2500 feet. Boone NC reported amazing snowfall totals if I remember correctly.

Very good point, I had almost forgotten about that one! Parts of eastern OH also shared in on some of that, though it wasn't as heavy as what you got in the Appalachians. I think Cleveland got around 8", if I recall correctly, and some areas in east central OH got a foot or more (that part of OH is essentially in the foothills of the Apps).

There was a newscaster or forecaster, or someone who was a relative big-wig locally in Cleveland who "famously" said during the week after the 16-inch March 30-31 event, "there's no way we're getting two big storms like that in a week, or I'll be eating news print!" Not an exact quote but pretty close; the "I'll be eating news print" part definitely sticks in my mind. I remember thinking something like, "uhhh, dude, better check out the indications and the forecasts before you put your foot in it!" Besides, similar things had happened before. In light of what happened I hope he enjoyed a nice dish of yellow journalism on his plate that following weekend!

I lived for 4 years in the snow belt of southwest Michigan. Winter started early and ended late up there. We had one summer where the basically was no summer. That year it was in the low 60's on the 4th of July, that really sucked. I have pictures of a snowstorm that happened in late April 2005 with leaves green on the trees. That year the last snow fell on May 2nd.

I grew up in NW Ohio and know quite well what you are talking about. We grew up with saying the statement that if you did not like the weather wait 5 minutes! :maprain::snowwindow::maphot:

We grew up with saying the statement that if you did not like the weather wait 5 minutes!

Ugh...no offense, but I absolutely abhor that statement. I'll add NW Ohio to the other 30 locations I've heard the phrase uttered for like it's some sort of purely IMBY-relevant statement. Oklahoma, Texas, Florida (lmao!), Colorado, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, the Dakotas...

Was living east of Columbus, Ohio for that one. Had been warm and glorious all week (spring break from my HS was that week), and then that amazing late storm seemingly out of nowhere. About 14 inches at my house in SW Licking County, most I had ever seen in one storm until the three monsters last year here.

Ugh...no offense, but I absolutely abhor that statement. I'll add NW Ohio to the other 30 locations I've heard the phrase uttered for like it's some sort of purely IMBY-relevant statement. Oklahoma, Texas, Florida (lmao!), Colorado, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, the Dakotas...

No offense taken. And did not mean it as a IMBY statement, glad you can add where I grew up to your list. :)

I was living in Wise, VA and this was was an amazing snow storm. Around 2' feet in Wise. Good winds with that storm which produced 6-8' drifts.

Here is a summary of storm from Pike County KY which is about 30-35 miles from Wise, VA.

http://www.wkyt.com/.../101616818.html

...I am severely terminally obsessed with snow and cold - valuing those items over everyone and everything else no matter what. That statement defines me more than any other. I have been that way all my life and I am damned PROUD of it to the bitter end. I'm 46 now - I will NEVER change - to the utter detriment and everlasting sorrow and tearful embarrassment of every single person all around me, especially my family. Even if there was a so-called god - WHICH THERE IS NOT - religion is a severe delusion afflicting man - I would proudly stand before him and state that I love the ice age more than even him.

bullsh/\t.

if that were even remotely true you would pick up everything, do everything and anything it took to move to some place in the world where you could get that fix. Not the midatlantic ...lol. Until i see a post from you announcing your new home in northern Alaska or on the peaks of the sierra nevadas... your post is blah, blah, blah

...and Ji, what are you a hermit? a vampire? lol

The reason I'm so obsessed with winterstorms and extreme cold in the first place is because they are small islands of excitement in the most miserable season of weather, (the winter). That stretch of time between post holidays and around April 1st...SUCK...unless there's some crazy weather going on. Why would anyone prefer 30's and 40's, cloudy and damp, (90% of the typical winter days), over sunny and 70's/80's?????

I agree. I like 4 seasons with emphasis on winter, lol. My ideal climate would be something like 5 months of winter with ~100"-150" of snow, 1.5 months of spring...50s and 60s, 3.5 months of summer...mostly 70s and 80s, sometimes getting warmer and more humid to allow for some nice t-storms, and 2 months of fall...40s and 50s.

Nov-beg April-Winter

Mid Apr-May-Spring

June-early Sep-Summer

Mid Sep-early Nov-fall

Make it happen. guitar.gif

That is a great description of our climate here.

Archived