• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Preliminary Summer/Tropical Forecasts

Mr Torchey

I think we have a cooler than normal summer, and a below normal hurricane season with an emphasis on east coast landfalls.

I think more hurricanes than last summer, but another scorcher. Maybe not as hot, but I think we'll have a run of hot summers, as we did from 1952-55.

15/8/4

Persistent NAO over the winter (so far) still is allowing for a significant Atlantic tripole which is associated with above normal hurricane seasons. ENSO models, although with limited skill show a nuetral/weak La Nina state into the summer and fall. Both states are associated with above normal hurricane activity. Climatologically, stronger La Nina episodes tend to persist for more than one season. SSTs should remain above normal due to the positive AMO state but not nearly as significantly so as last year. I do not expect the persistently strong NAO state to continue into the Spring which tends to reinforce with Atlantic tripole and the AMO values and total activity. More bouts of positive NAO regimes should allow for a much higher risk to the east coast this season. The forecast is tempered due to the lack of skill in predicting the ENSO state for late summer/fall. figure6.gif

atl_anom.gif

I was hoping you'd chime in Nick. I'm not as well versed in tropical meteorology like you are, but was thinking maybe 15-17 storms or so. I wonder if these bouts of + NAO regimes will damage the tripole that we have going. It would obviously have to be a serious prolonged +NAO, but I suppose it is possible.

I was hoping you'd chime in Nick. I'm not as well versed in tropical meteorology like you are, but was thinking maybe 15-17 storms or so. I wonder if these bouts of + NAO regimes will damage the tripole that we have going. It would obviously have to be a serious prolonged +NAO, but I suppose it is possible.

It could...but we've had significant bouts of +NAO since 1995 and still managed to average about 14 storms a year with higher than average tropical SSTs. Last year we saw record warmth in the tropics due to th combination of the record blocking and the El Nino which basically lead to no subtropical high in the late winter and spring. This won't be the case this year but I still believe SSTs will be warmer than normal due to the overriding multiddecadal cycle. The biggest factor will likely be the fall ENSO configuration. That's tough to predict but at least preliminary signs are nuetral/La Nina.

I think more hurricanes than last summer, but another scorcher. Maybe not as hot, but I think we'll have a run of hot summers, as we did from 1952-55.

We had 12 hurricanes last year...5 majors and 19 storms...much above average.

More than 12 is tough to accomplish even in favorable years.

Unless you have a landfall fetish...last season was a good one.

i'm really looking forward to it...

Rainstorm trolling

Floydbuster You Tube forecasts

Ray complaining about ACE

Ray complaining about the heat

Ray complaining about lack of severe in Wilmington

12 paragraph Wiz posts about potential for elevated pea-sized hailers

MRG talking about the leaves dropping in July

Birving posting a 120hr UKMET map followed by this: :whistle:

Sam keeping track of the 90F degrees in Concord

yep...sounds great.

Rainstorm trolling

yep...sounds great.

Am19psu is a mod now...so we might not have to deal with Rainstorm trolling anymore :D

Rainstorm trolling

yep...sounds great.

LOL, well if we have any semblance of a -NAO..we may be back to more cold pool type events, with every storm skipping Wilmington and Wiz having a heart attack over pea size hail. Kevin somehow will have 40-50 branches down on his yard.

Rainstorm trolling

yep...sounds great.

:lmao: Good stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Hot dry summer. Nina picks up again as we approach autumn. Potential disastrous warm and dry winter looming next year so I hope this March Pattern produces. So again, hot, much less rain vs last year. Strong tropical season but like most years, unlikely to see a SNE landfall of anything of significance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hot dry summer. Nina picks up again as we approach autumn. Potential disastrous warm and dry winter looming next year so I hope this March Pattern produces. So again, hot, much less rain vs last year. Strong tropical season but like most years, unlikely to see a SNE landfall of anything of significance.

Sounds like a great summer! not liking your thoughts for next winter:(

I suspect a decent hurricane season but not a quick starter unless we actually start to develop a El nino type pattern by early summer months...

As for landfalls, really toss of a coin!

I suspect a decent hurricane season but not a quick starter unless we actually start to develop a El nino type pattern by early summer months...

As for landfalls, really toss of a coin!

I think most would gladly sacrifice a weak subtropical/tropical storm or two due to cut-off lows from an El Nino pattern in May or June for a more robust La Nina season.

• 2 months later...

Archived