• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pattern Looking More Like La Nina/-PDO

bluewave

This winter we saw record breaking positive 500 mb height anomalies and snowfall

associated with the amazing blocking pattern.Our snowfall window opened in late

December when the PNA moved more toward a neutral to positive phase.

Now the forecast is taking on more of a La Nina/-PDO look as the PNA goes negative.

The forecast for the coming thaw looks like the February La Nina/-PDO composite.

Forecast

February Composite

As we head into March,the composite looks more like this:

For snow chances in March,we'll have to watch for an interval when the PNA moves back to near neutral or even positive.

We would need to get lucky like we did back in March 2009,1967,and 1956 when were able get some decent snows.

Nice post bluewave...

we probably will get another noreaster in March but will it be cold enough for snow?...March 1996 had three storms that gave us over 4" of snow...the winter of 1954-55 had a post St. Patrick's Day snowfall...1956 also...1957 had a March 1st storm...56-57 had April storms also...1962 had the Ash Wednesday storm...1963 had a March 1st storm...1965 had a post St. Patrick's Day event...1967 had three late winter snowfalls...1968 had a March 1st snowfall...1971 had a March storm...1972 had two March events...1974 had a late March snowfall...1975 had a mid March event...1976 a wet snow event...March 1989 had an early snowfall...March 1999...March 2001...March 2009...I believe we will get at least one chance for a good snowfall in March based on these analogs...

Nice post bluewave...

we probably will get another noreaster in March but will it be cold enough for snow?...March 1996 had three storms that gave us over 4" of snow...the winter of 1954-55 had a post St. Patrick's Day snowfall...1956 also...1957 had a March 1st storm...56-57 had April storms also...1962 had the Ash Wednesday storm...1963 had a March 1st storm...1965 had a post St. Patrick's Day event...1967 had three late winter snowfalls...1968 had a March 1st snowfall...1971 had a March storm...1972 had two March events...1974 had a late March snowfall...1975 had a mid March event...1976 a wet snow event...March 1989 had an early snowfall...March 1999...March 2001...March 2009...I believe we will get at least one chance for a good snowfall in March based on these analogs...

Thanks Uncle,

I think that we'll have a shot also.It's at least encouraging to see that the SE Ridge usually flattens out in the means going into March compared to coming thaw.

The next two weeks are looking painfully typical Nina, SE ridge, SW flow, almost a complete DEC, JAN reversal. What a weird winter, its almost like 1989 - 90, but on steroids snowise. I Could see a March storm, but that would be increasingly lucky with the Nina like pattern kicking in so late, it could verywell lag threw March with no snow. Still 50+ is pretty amazing and no one should complain.

The next two weeks are looking painfully typical Nina, SE ridge, SW flow, almost a complete DEC, JAN reversal. What a weird winter, its almost like 1989 - 90, but on steroids snowise. I Could see a March storm, but that would be increasingly lucky with the Nina like pattern kicking in so late, it could verywell lag threw March with no snow. Still 50+ is pretty amazing and no one should complain.

I read on Rob Guarino's website that the Nina was already starting to weaken though so maybe that will be helpful come March??

After the the thaw,it looks like the models want to move to flatten the SE Ridge somewhat around day 10 or so.

After a brief "warm - up " mid to late next week winter 2010 - 2011 is going to make a big time comeback after the 20th especially along and north of 40N. There is going to be snow on the ground well into march and possibly april - ground temps are very cold and its been very difficult to melt this snow - ice pack -- in fact many roofs in the NYC metro area still have partial areas of snow on them even after a few mild days and rain.......

Nice post bluewave...

Out of all the analogs, I would take March 1967.

Some of the LR forecasts werent that far off. The NEG NAO was just much stronger than modeled for December and lasted into mid January-- while it was gone towards the end of December in 1989. Hence the much delayed warmup. We actually got the second HECS in an unfavorable pattern. We also wont go nearly as positive NAO as we did back in 1990-- because we arent in a positive NAO cycle. That's good because we saw some record warmth in Jan and Feb that year. Hopefully this March doesnt end up like 1990. We were in the mid to upper 80s in Mid March and somehow ended up getting 1-2 inches of snow in early April.

After a brief "warm - up " mid to late next week winter 2010 - 2011 is going to make a big time comeback after the 20th especially along and north of 40N. There is going to be snow on the ground well into march and possibly april - ground temps are very cold and its been very difficult to melt this snow - ice pack -- in fact many roofs in the NYC metro area still have partial areas of snow on them even after a few mild days and rain.......

While this is possible, I wouldn't count on it. THere is no reason to expect the pattern to return to the way it was late december to very early february, that was a once a generation pattern.

While this is possible, I wouldn't count on it. THere is no reason to expect the pattern to return to the way it was late december to very early february, that was a once a generation pattern.

Lol. This is absurd. 1995-96 was supposed to be once in a generation pattern as was 2000-01 and don't even get me started on the snow-filled El Nino years in the last 20 years or so that was also considered once in a generation patterns.

Lol. This is absurd. 1995-96 was supposed to be once in a generation pattern as was 2000-01 and don't even get me started on the snow-filled El Nino years in the last 20 years or so that was also considered once in a generation patterns.

We've been seeing snowier than normal patterns since 95-96, and particularly since 00-01. Living in Westchester for my entire life, I remember a distinct change in 00-01 towards winter becoming much more severe than in the 1990s, when winters were generally drab and mild with the exception of a couple of outstanding years. We began to regain the consistent cold and snowy when I started high school in time for Winter 02-03, and the last three seasons have delivered 170" of snowfall here in Dobbs Ferry including a massive arctic outbreak in January 2009 and all the cold weather this winter. I keep thinking, "It can't possible get better than this winter," and then it does. When we saw 68" of snowfall last year with slightly below normal temperatures, I thought it was a great winter for NYC metro and likely not to be repeated soon....well, this winter has blown 09-10 away with much colder temperatures, long duration of snowpack, three major snowstorms and an ice storm. And we're only in mid-February with a probably wintry pattern from 2/20 on into early March.

We've been seeing snowier than normal patterns since 95-96, and particularly since 00-01. Living in Westchester for my entire life, I remember a distinct change in 00-01 towards winter becoming much more severe than in the 1990s, when winters were generally drab and mild with the exception of a couple of outstanding years. We began to regain the consistent cold and snowy when I started high school in time for Winter 02-03, and the last three seasons have delivered 170" of snowfall here in Dobbs Ferry including a massive arctic outbreak in January 2009 and all the cold weather this winter. I keep thinking, "It can't possible get better than this winter," and then it does. When we saw 68" of snowfall last year with slightly below normal temperatures, I thought it was a great winter for NYC metro and likely not to be repeated soon....well, this winter has blown 09-10 away with much colder temperatures, long duration of snowpack, three major snowstorms and an ice storm. And we're only in mid-February with a probably wintry pattern from 2/20 on into early March.

I agree 100%. Anyone saying extreme cold and snowy patterns are once in a generation occurrences/patterns haven't been paying attention the last 10-15 years. This year was actually the exact 15th anniversary of 95-96.

And yet 2 of the least snowiest winters on record are in that period, imagine how much higher the average would be without 97-98 and 01-02

94-95, 96-97, 98-99, 06-07 and 07-08 were pretty putrid as well. 99-00 was hardly impressive also. I always believed that 92-93 was a turning point year for this region. Things have been better during winter for snow lovers since that winter more times than not.

Archived