SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Febuary 9-11 threat

Allsnow

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats my point, 18-24 hrs before the storm the 850 winds are ripping from the sw, and the surface winds are coming from the south, but the gfs shows the 850s staying the same or colder and the surface in the mid to upper 20s

Hey tom, love your input and your analysis is greatly appreciated. You make a good point about that HP,but it seems as though it weakens greatly before it slides off the coast therefore not really impacting winds as much as if it were a stronger HP. I think this could be the reason it looks as cold as it does.

Hey tom, love your input and your analysis is greatly appreciated. You make a good point about that HP,but it seems as though it weakens greatly before it slides off the coast therefore not really impacting winds as much as if it were a stronger HP. I think this could be the reason it looks as cold as it does.

I think you make a good point - it is weak and by the time the storm comes, it has lost its influence.

I took a look at the CPC 6-10 day analogs centered on next Thursday and FWIW not a single KU storm is listed

what site do you look at? I use http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/analog.php which allows you to focus on a certain range and location of the country. For our area, its best to focus over the Midwest or Mississippi valley since that's usually the areas where things get going for our area if its going to be something big. On my site its only out to 36hrs over the midwest and 48hrs over the east so Its way out of range at the moment. I need to wait till the 120hrs come out later this afternoon.

For what its worth, many nice threats showed up at 120hrs for the 00z run and thats still out of the range for our storm 8 days away. You can find them here.

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/thumbnails.php?reg=CENT&model=GFS212&fhr=120&flg=new&map=COSN&sort=FINAL

I'm saying the effect could be overstated. The model wouldn't make up that much cold air, IMO.

These kinds of details are a long way from being worked out. There is a good chance that there will be a stronger high nosing e-ward toward the Great Lakes and northern New England that would swing our winds around to more northeasterly and that has been what's usually happened this winter.

WX/PT

These kinds of details are a long way from being worked out. There is a good chance that there will be a stronger high nosing e-ward toward the Great Lakes and northern New England that would swing our winds around to more northeasterly and that has been what's usually happened this winter.

WX/PT

Agreed, that high might evolve into a similar setup to what occured earlier this week and that would be very nice. :thumbsup:

WX/PT

And when winter trends set in they are hard to break

WX/PT

This is true. Everything is likely to shift around like 100 more times before this timeframe. Looking more closely at it though, it does seem a little warm cold if you were to take it verbatim.

all the cities would prob be snow to start, the core of the system would be rain, then maybe back to snow...the low goes from northcentral nc to pvd, ri...so if you take that as a line it would travel over lower del and southern jerz over the tip of li

You were right when you said earlier, the set up is really marginal for this. A small change in track makes for a large difference, but unless we get a strong high to our north, keeping it all snow will be difficult.

Archived