• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
FEB 7-9 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

Growing up in CT (even the hills of Western CT) we always seemed to be the transition zone. More often than not at least some part of the storm would end as sleet, frz drizzle, etc...of course, those were back in the days when Upstate NY was actually the jackpot for heavy snows, haha. When I first moved up here (then, at SUNY Albany) it was weird getting used to "most" winter storms just being pure snow.

IMO snow is "easier" to come by. A "snowstorm" is a different story to get a widespread heavy snow requires a # of factors...

Ice storm require many more. Ice is usually a transition from one p-type to another..snow to rain or the opposite way. One needs the "right" ingredients and parameters coming together in time and place to cause an all-out icestorm.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gfs still wetter then the NAM, 1/4-1/2" for most of the region..

09z SREF is about .25 to .50 most of us. 12z NAM came in a bit more than double the 06z run (.52). Nudging totals up a couple of inches. Still looks like it tapers off around middday tomorrow (noon). However may also be dealing with upslope snow showers on strong west winds higher terrain east after the storm, (Snow showers, too to the west) along with what could be a pretty prolonged LES event for the TUG tomorrow evening lasting well into Wednesday night. You know who :whistle: is probably getting all ramped up and excited about this possibility.

The only thing that made me nervous at 12Z is the shaft zone south/east of the where the main snow streak sets up had edged northwest. Now the best snows are ALB to points n/w. Fine...as long as we don't shift them another 30-40 miles. :devilsmiley: After Saturday's debacle it makes me nervous. Hey I don't have huge expectations, but would rather not see my 4 inches turn to 1 inch.

09z SREF is about .25 to .50 most of us. 12z NAM came in a bit more than double the 06z run (.52). Nudging totals up a couple of inches. Still looks like it tapers off around middday tomorrow (noon). However may also be dealing with upslope snow showers on strong west winds higher terrain east after the storm, (Snow showers, too to the west) along with what could be a pretty prolonged LES event for the TUG tomorrow evening lasting well into Wednesday night. You know who :whistle: is probably getting all ramped up and excited about this possibility.

12z ECM looks about the same, generally .25-.3 for most everyone, accept immediate WNY and along the immediate WNE border from Washington Co. south. Looks like ~.2 in those areas.

Per the ECM... the 1A-7A period continues to be the most active period with everyone east of a Steuben-Ontario-Wayne Co. line experiencing .1-.25. Yeah, it's not much, but the fact it coincides with the most favorable time of day for accumulating snowfall, I think most everyone is in store for 2-4" snowfall out of this system, with perhaps slightly higher amounts in the ~E of I-81 / N of I-90 region, especially the high terrain.

The only thing that made me nervous at 12Z is the shaft zone south/east of the where the main snow streak sets up had edged northwest. Now the best snows are ALB to points n/w. Fine...as long as we don't shift them another 30-40 miles. :devilsmiley: After Saturday's debacle it makes me nervous. Hey I don't have huge expectations, but would rather not see my 4 inches turn to 1 inch.

Once again I am not too comfortable with what I have out...I could see less or even a bit more. The SREF have been pretty consistent past few runs so I have some confidence in the and the PENN #s are around .3-.4 as well from off of both the GFS and NAM. Also thinking that there MAY be some squalls tomorrow with the arctic cold fropa.

once again, the models are busting wrt to the heavy snow in western kentucky......its a potent little system there, will have to keep an eye on this for some surprises as it moves into our area.

it'll probably blitz Montreal and just miss Ottawa. You guys seem to be partially salvaging your winter, unlike Ottawa. Reminds me of January/February 2007. You guys got hit by a couple of footers while we got screwed. :lol:

This is such a stale air mass we're in. 20F in Pembroke, 32F in Ottawa. I'm guessing the cold air is on its way. Kind of an odd forecast tomorrow. The daytime high is forecast to only be a degree or so above tonight's overnight low.

it'll probably blitz Montreal and just miss Ottawa. You guys seem to be partially salvaging your winter, unlike Ottawa. Reminds me of January/February 2007. You guys got hit by a couple of footers while we got screwed. :lol:

This is such a stale air mass we're in. 20F in Pembroke, 32F in Ottawa. I'm guessing the cold air is on its way. Kind of an odd forecast tomorrow. The daytime high is forecast to only be a degree or so above tonight's overnight low.

yeah it has been a partial salvage job. I doubt our snowpacks look very different though.

hopefully we can all pick up some real snow tonight and early tomororw as the cold air moves in.

could be several inches here.....latest trends say ottawa may even get into some ok snow for a short period but it will be close.

yeah it has been a partial salvage job. I doubt our snowpacks look very different though.

hopefully we can all pick up some real snow tonight and early tomororw as the cold air moves in.

could be several inches here.....latest trends say ottawa may even get into some ok snow for a short period but it will be close.

Around what time? Light snow is falling at the moment, which is at least atmospheric.

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO

NOON EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING

TO NOON EST TUESDAY.

* LOCATIONS: SOUTHERN VERMONT AND WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS. MOST OF

EASTERN NEW YORK...EXCLUDING THE MID HUDSON VALLEY AND SOUTHERN

CATSKILLS.

* HAZARDS: SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 3 TO 6 INCHES IN THE VALLEY LOCATIONS...4 TO 8

INCHES HIGHER TERRAIN.

Updated nws forecast

Tonight: Snow. Low around 21. Light and variable wind. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tuesday: Snow showers. High near 24. Breezy, with a north wind between 13 and 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

...WHILE THE SYNOPTIC SNOW ENDS BY MIDDAY...LAKE EFFECT

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE BY AFTERNOON. ANOTHER SHORT WAVE NORTH

OF LAKE WINNIPEG WILL APPROACH WITH ONE MORE SHORT WAVE TROUGH

PASSAGE TUESDAY AFTERNOON. THIS SHOULD KEEP THE CYCLONIC FLOW IN

PLACE. HOWEVER INITIALLY...THE FLOW WILL WEST ALLOWING FOR A

POSSIBLE BAND TO COME OFF LAKE ONTARIO INTO THE MOHAWK VALLEY. AT

THE SAME TIME HOWEVER...AS THE IMPRESSIVE COLD AIR ADVECTION

COMMENCES AND WE NOW HAVE A SLIGHTLY STRENGTHENING FEBRUARY SUN

ANGLE...VERTICAL INSTABILITY MIGHT ALLOW FOR SQUALL TYPE SNOWS

ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE REGION. THESE WOULD TEND TO BE VERY BRIEF AND

USUALLY DON/T YIELD MUCH SNOW ACCUMULATION. FURTHERMORE...THEY CAN

BE DISTRIBUTIVE THE SLANT WISE CONVECTION. HOWEVER...THESE SQUALLS

CAN PRODUCE BLINDING SNOWS FOR 5 TO 15 MINUTES...ENOUGH TO CAUSE

PROBLEMS ON THE ROAD WAYS. ALSO...THE COULD EVEN BE AN INITIAL LAKE

CHAMPLAIN RESPONSE PRODUCING LAKE EFFECT SNOW ACROSS OUT NORTHERN

TACONICS.

NMM & ARW

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY

A RAPIDLY DEEPENING STORM OFF THE GULF OF MAINE WILL PRODUCE

STRONG GUSTY WINDS TUESDAY AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING HOURS. A

WIND ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED IF CONFIDENCE BECOMES HIGH ENOUGH THAT

NORTHWEST WIND GUSTS WILL REACH BETWEEN 46 AND 59 MPH. A WIND

CHILL ADVISORY MIGHT BE NEEDED AS WELL IF WIND CHILL TEMPERATURES

BECOME LOW ENOUGH.

You wouldn't be playing possum with us, would you?

You get the prize...already! Sometimes I think we need a bit of levity/fun/slight change of topic around here. She/he has been around for a few days, since the temps got milder, and I'm a sucker for putting stuff out for the wildlife when the weather's tough. A side of winter I don't see here very often.

Archived