• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
FEB 7-9 Upstate NY / North Country Winter Storm

there is some snow on monday and another wave that may be stronger on tuesday.....but its very unclear.

the models have progressively trended worse for our area but given how much the models have struggled recently, we will have to see what happens.

right now upstate looks a better hit than us.

for the Tuesday event or Monday? Or both?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at NAM/GooFuS it would appear everything stays S&E w/ this system...GEM looks like we get some snow...not sure about EC. Given the last week's worth of NWP performance, I wouldn't write this one off yet for interior NY. Or for that matter ONT.

LOL who knows where this one will go. The EC gave eastern areas a light to moderate event event while the low passed well off the coast. Its ensemble mean looks decent though.

12zecmwfens850mbTSLPUS072.gif

I hope we can cash in with one of them during this next 10 days of a cold pattern. After that I think the next shot may be in the late winter period - as in very late February or March. La Nina years tend to get cold and stormy into the Spring. We are actually due for some March action. ALB has cashed in with many of it's best snowstorms in March historically.

LOL who knows where this one will go. The EC gave eastern areas a light to moderate event event while the low passed well off the coast. Its ensemble mean looks decent though

HPC

...LOW PRESSURE NEAR THE 40N/70W BENCHMARK EARLY TUESDAY...

PREFERENCE... 00Z ECMWF

ALL GUIDANCE TAKES THE SFC LOW JUST SOUTHEAST OF THE BENCHMARK BY

12Z/08... THOUGH THE 00Z ECMWF IS BASICALLY RIGHT AT 40N/70W. THE

00Z CANADIAN/UKMET LIE ABOUT 100 MILES EAST/SOUTH OF THERE...

RESPECTIVELY... AND ARE DEEPER THAN THE ECMWF. THE 00Z NAM/GFS ARE

FARTHEST SOUTH/EAST. 21Z SREF MEAN AND 12Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN ARE

CLOSER TO THE ECMWF/UKMET/CANADIAN GUIDANCE... AND WILL RECOMMEND

THAT GREATER NORTHWESTERN CLUSTER.

OVC and 30.2F here. Ice still on the trees after yesterday's mess. I'd gladly take 3 inches of snow to put a nice base on top of this 20+ inches of hard permafrost.

Really torching up here in Ottawa at 35F (that is a torch by Ottawa mid winter standards). Even if we do get snow tomorrow, the ratios won't be great.

KALB

AS THE SYSTEM CONTINUES TO APPROACH FROM THE WEST...A COASTAL LOW

WILL BEGIN TO FORM ALONG THE SOUTHEAST COAST LATE MONDAY...AND MOVE

NORTHEAST MONDAY NIGHT. THE COMBINATION OF THESE TWO SYSTEMS WILL

RESULT IN A 2 TO 7 INCH SNOWFALL ACROSS THE REGION FROM MONDAY

AFTERNOON THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=ALY&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=on

The 18Z GFS is up to .4" here ...so those snowfall numbers might be realistic. It really looks like a more dominant low wants to be further northwest, but the models jump ultimate bombogenesis well out near the offshore baroclinic zone. It is probably the reality, but every now and then the models will err with that.

KAlb snowmap

With last nights mess over with, I have noob weather question. I did some thinking last night and need to ask, it seems it really needs to have everything together at the right time to get a snowstorm. Now it would seem to me anyway, that the chances of an ice storm would be far greater in regard to the storm type itself. Snow is very temperature dependent-- not just ratios. Freezing rain it seems is so simple just a basic way of saying water/ melting snow to rain then cold enough to freeze at ground

levels.I am just wondering is all. I cannot remember the last time GFL or within 10 miles of had a big ice storm. I consider 3/4" or more a big storm.

Are ice storms harder to come by( IT IS NOT A BAD THING AT ALL) that they are rare. Or are ice storms not that simple? As compared to snow anyway.

With last nights mess over with, I have noob weather question. I did some thinking last night and need to ask, it seems it really needs to have everything together at the right time to get a snowstorm. Now it would seem to me anyway, that the chances of an ice storm would be far greater in regard to the storm type itself. Snow is very temperature dependent-- not just ratis. Freezing rain it seems is so simple just a basic way of saying water/ melting snow to rain then cold enough to freeze at ground

levels.I am just wondering is all. I cannot remember the last time GFL or within 10 miles of had a big ice storm. I consider 3/4" or more a big storm.

Are ice storms harder to come by( IT IS NOT A BAD THING AT ALL) that they are rare. Or are ice storms not that simple? As compared to snow anyway.

Yes, ice storms are harder to come by because heavier rain tends to bring down the warmer air aloft with it and frictional effects with the ground release some latent heat. A lighter rain or drizzle tends to ice up better as it minimizes these effects

With last nights mess over with, I have noob weather question. I did some thinking last night and need to ask, it seems it really needs to have everything together at the right time to get a snowstorm. Now it would seem to me anyway, that the chances of an ice storm would be far greater in regard to the storm type itself. Snow is very temperature dependent-- not just ratios. Freezing rain it seems is so simple just a basic way of saying water/ melting snow to rain then cold enough to freeze at ground

IMO snow is "easier" to come by. A "snowstorm" is a different story to get a widespread heavy snow requires a # of factors...

Ice storm require many more. Ice is usually a transition from one p-type to another..snow to rain or the opposite way. One needs the "right" ingredients and parameters coming together in time and place to cause an all-out icestorm.

Archived