joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PHL CWA Feb 1-2 Storm OBS and Discussion part 2

famartin

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind the intial quick temp rise is expected as pcpn intensity increases from light-mod-heavy due to latent heat release at the surface. After this, NELY winds should cause temps to flat-line just below 32, probably holding 30-32 for most overnight.

Nice post Tom....after a 1-2 degree rise...we have held steady here at 28.1....looks like glass out there....

Temps seem to fluctuate between 28 and 29 currently 28.4. Currently light zr and sleet. Pretty cool to see sleet, didn't think sleet would mix in here. Commute to Somerset Co will be bad I'm sure, have to go in early as well to implement disaster recovery shd we loose power as I most certainly expect it. Lost power last week durning the thunder sleet.

Light freezing rain here in Woodbury NJ...31f, up 1 degree with the arrival of rain that is heavier than drizzle. With marginal below freezing temp, so far ice accrual is not even across all surfaces...probably already .10" on cars/metal surfaces, railings, vegetation and snow pack. None so far on my road or sidewalk. Agree that thus far latent heat release is cause of bump in temp as wind here is out of the NE and has been NNE to NE past 3 hours.

Skating rink! Freezing rain accruing quickly here in Metuchen. Just walked around and my street is completely ice-encased - took a full run and slid about 15 yards. My driveway has a bit of an incline and was very hard to climb up. I, too, love all kinds of wintry weather, even ice, so sue me. Temps up to 27F from 26F an hour or so ago. Not sure if this is temporary related to the latent heat of fusion heat release to the atmosphere from the phase change from liquid to solid; I know it's about 1/7 the energy per mole of water as compared to the heat of condensation (or vaporization, which leads to evaporational cooling of the column as it saturates), so it would have a lot less temperature impact than evaporative cooling, but it's not zero, either. Would need to do a proper energy balance, but it's been a few years, lol...

Anyone in that band west of PHL? Looks like hvy ZR in Lancaster.

I'm in West Chester which is just about to get hit by that. I'll go out and check in a few minutes. It's been steady freezing rain here for about an hour now though--last I checked, my apartment parking lot was covered in ice with about 1/8" accretion on the iron railing on the sidewalk.

Temps as of 1AM and 1-hour change

SWF 18 0

MGJ 19 0

FWN 20 -1

12N 21 0

MPO 22 0

HPN 24 +1

FRG 25 0

ABE 26 +1

DYL 26 +1

CDW 26 +1

MMU 27 +2