• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
PHL CWA Jan 26/27 Obs and Discussion thread..part III

goldstar

Earlier post: 2" in the last 75 minutes, as of 11:15 pm. Wow. Pouring snow with maybe 1/8 mile visibility right now. 5.5" from Part 1 and now 4.5" from Part 2 for 10.0" total. Up to 50" for the season! Radar is insane over my part of Middlesex County right now, with 35-40 DBZ echos, so I'm hoping for another 4" or more before it's over. I love snow.

New post: double wow - as of 12:15 am, one hour later, we now have 7.5" of new snow, meaning we got 3.0" in the last hour. I think that's the most I've ever recorded, although I wasn't recording snowfall rates for the Jan 1996 storm or anything before that. I guess the radar really doesn't lie, lol - those yellows were over us for most of the last hour and I got to walk around in it for awhile. Just a deluge of snow like I've never seen before - definitely a little heavier than I recall for 12/26/10, although not as windy, so visibility was still a little better tonight, as visibility is about 200 yards right now, whereas it went down to 50 yards or less at times due to the heavy snowfall plus the wind for the 12/26 storm. Looks like only another 1-2 hours of accumulating snow. At 13.0" total right now - would love to get to 16".

Just got back in from another walk outside and I implore you armchair snow weenies - get the F up off the couch and get outside and walk around - it's simply gorgeous out there. Anyway, as of 1:15 am we now have 10.5" of new snow, meaning we just had our 2nd hour in a row with 3" per hour rates. Never seen that before. 16.0" total today, bringing the seasonal total up to 56". Looks like another hour or so of accumulating snow, so maybe we get to 17-18" total.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unofficially this looks to be the snowiest January ever in the Trenton Area. My parents have measured 30.5" for the month through midnight... with the record being 30.9" in 1996. This less than a year after unofficially recording the snowiest month ever in February 2010 when 40.5 inches fell.

Unofficially this looks to be the snowiest January ever in the Trenton Area. My parents have measured 30.5" for the month through midnight... with the record being 30.9" in 1996. This less than a year after unofficially recording the snowiest month ever in February 2010 when 40.5 inches fell.

You have a great family. I call my mom up and she says "Oh, god, I don't know, theres like maybe a foot?"

You have a great family. I call my mom up and she says "Oh, god, I don't know, theres like maybe a foot?"

Thanks. I did provide them with official government equipment so I would hope they use it ;) Though, they've measured snow for me for about 11 years now, since I was back at Rutgers, so they're pretty experienced by now.

Thanks. I did provide them with official government equipment so I would hope they use it ;) Though, they've measured snow for me for about 11 years now, since I was back at Rutgers, so they're pretty experienced by now.

Grew up in South Jersey (Washington Twp in Gloucester County) and when I left home for RU in 1980 I used to always ask my mom to measure the snow back home when I was at school, just so I knew, since I used to always keep weather records as a kid/teenager. She did that for about 20 years until she moved to Charlotte, NC about 10 years ago to be near my sister and her family down there. A lot less call to measure anything, lol. Pretty funny that we both had parents who would indulge our obsessions like that...

One for the record books.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

130 AM EST THU JAN 27 2011

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL FOR JANUARY 26 SET AT ALLENTOWN...

A SNOWFALL TOTAL OF 11.3 INCHES WAS RECORDED AT THE LEHIGH VALLEY

INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IN ALLENTOWN, PENNSYLVANIA YESTERDAY,

ESTABLISHING A NEW RECORD FOR THE DATE. THE PREVIOUS RECORD FOR

JANUARY 26 WAS 5.3 INCHES SET IN 1994.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL FOR JANUARY 26 SET AT WILMINGTON...

A SNOWFALL TOTAL OF 10.3 INCHES WAS RECORDED AT THE NEW CASTLE

COUNTY AIRPORT NEAR WILMINGTON, DELAWARE YESTERDAY, ESTABLISHING A

NEW RECORD FOR THE DATE. THE PREVIOUS RECORD FOR JANUARY 26 WAS 5.2

INCHES SET IN 1987.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM PRECIPITATION AND SNOWFALL FOR JANUARY 26

SET AT PHILADELPHIA...

A PRECIPITATION TOTAL OF 1.57 INCHES WATER EQUIVALENT WAS RECORDED

AT PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT YESTERDAY, ESTABLISHING A NEW

RECORD FOR THE DATE. THE PREVIOUS RECORD FOR JANUARY 26 WAS 1.28

INCHES SET IN 1986.

A SNOWFALL TOTAL OF 14.2 INCHES WAS RECORDED AT PHILADELPHIA

INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT YESTERDAY, ESTABLISHING A NEW RECORD FOR THE

DATE. THE PREVIOUS RECORD FOR JANUARY 26 WAS 4.4 INCHES SET IN 1963.

Grew up in South Jersey (Washington Twp in Gloucester County) and when I left home for RU in 1980 I used to always ask my mom to measure the snow back home when I was at school, just so I knew, since I used to always keep weather records as a kid/teenager. She did that for about 20 years until she moved to Charlotte, NC about 10 years ago to be near my sister and her family down there. A lot less call to measure anything, lol. Pretty funny that we both had parents who would indulge our obsessions like that...

Cool. I don't think I have too much to worry about as far as my parents moving... pretty much my entire extended family is all in the Trenton area so my parents are highly unlikely to feel the call of the snow bird ;)

Earlier post: 2" in the last 75 minutes, as of 11:15 pm. Wow. Pouring snow with maybe 1/8 mile visibility right now. 5.5" from Part 1 and now 4.5" from Part 2 for 10.0" total. Up to 50" for the season! Radar is insane over my part of Middlesex County right now, with 35-40 DBZ echos, so I'm hoping for another 4" or more before it's over. I love snow.

New post: double wow - as of 12:15 am, one hour later, we now have 7.5" of new snow, meaning we got 3.0" in the last hour. I think that's the most I've ever recorded, although I wasn't recording snowfall rates for the Jan 1996 storm or anything before that. I guess the radar really doesn't lie, lol - those yellows were over us for most of the last hour and I got to walk around in it for awhile. Just a deluge of snow like I've never seen before - definitely a little heavier than I recall for 12/26/10, although not as windy, so visibility was still a little better tonight, as visibility is about 200 yards right now, whereas it went down to 50 yards or less at times due to the heavy snowfall plus the wind for the 12/26 storm. Looks like only another 1-2 hours of accumulating snow. At 13.0" total right now - would love to get to 16".

Just got back in from another walk outside and I implore you armchair snow weenies - get the F up off the couch and get outside and walk around - it's simply gorgeous out there. Anyway, as of 1:15 am we now have 10.5" of new snow, meaning we just had our 2nd hour in a row with 3" per hour rates. Never seen that before. 16.0" total today, bringing the seasonal total up to 56". Looks like another hour or so of accumulating snow, so maybe we get to 17-18" total.

Ok, as of 2:15 am, we had 11.5" new snow, so we "only" got 1.0" in the last hour. Total event snowfall = 17.0". Still snowing moderately, but looks like only another 30-60 minutes of accumulating snow. Might make 18". Walked around the backyard and measured total snow depth and it's a general 23-27", as we had 6-10" of snow left over from the various storms (which I'm sure had at least a couple of inches of water content in it, as it's DENSE).

Woodbridge Township (Fords)

Light snow, estimated new snowfall accumulation of 13-14", estimated storm total accumulation of 17-18"

Temp: 31

Rtd - good to see we're reasonably close. Looks like I may have had a little more in part 1 and you may have had a little more in part 2. Amazing storm, eh? Wondering if my company - Merck - will be delayed tomorrow - hoping so. IIRC, aren't you involved in county government in some way? Have you been out on the roads?

Snow has just ended here. Last measurement was 13.2 (night time total) and 4.0 daytime. 17.2, not bad, not bad at all.

We line up perfectly. Just measured 13.5" with the 2nd half. And we also had 4" before a change to sleet/zr drizzle this afternoon.

17.5" Storm total

23-25" Snowpack easily

Heavy coating of freezing rain and plastered snow on all tree limbs

*EPIC WINTER WONDERLAND*

I measure 9-10" then come here and see all these reports of 14-20. Im thinking to myself I must be in a massive snowhole. Do a little shoveling and I notice it looks like way more than 9. Turns out there was a 4" crust of sleety/ice/slush underneath that the tape measure wasnt breaking through :axe:. So here in northern monmouth, 13-14" from round 2, and eyeballed 3 from round 1. (had shoveled in between rounds)

Archived