• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
A suggestion from here on out

weatherwiz

I think it would be a great idea if we have ONE thread where these totals can be listed, instead of just posting them in the discussion threads where they get buried and then we don't need to have so many people asking questions about QPF and such, all we'd have to do is just go to that one thread and it will be posted right in there. This thread should be able to last an entire winter or so...all it really needs is just QPF totals or if someone wants to be kind enough draw up a map like tombo does.

Just a thought.

I think it would be a great idea if we have ONE thread where these totals can be listed, instead of just posting them in the discussion threads where they get buried and then we don't need to have so many people asking questions about QPF and such, all we'd have to do is just go to that one thread and it will be posted right in there. This thread should be able to last an entire winter or so...all it really needs is just QPF totals or if someone wants to be kind enough draw up a map like tombo does.

Just a thought.

Hmmm..not a bad idea. Maybe list the QPF for the main climo stations (BDL,BOS, ORH etc.) Or list them as lines (BDL-PVD).

Hmmm..not a bad idea. Maybe list the QPF for the main climo stations (BDL,BOS, ORH etc.) Or list them as lines (BDL-PVD).

And designate like one or two people to do it, not have like 5-10 people all listing b/c when that happens you can get conflicting posts and it makes it relatively confusing, trying to read through the thread the past few days on the Euro and such as been heavily confusing, one person saying one thing, then someone else saying something totally different.

Great idea! I live in Plymouth NH so its soooo frustrating trying to get QPF info without asking. We need a couple of people willing to volunteer and a form with perhaps 15 stations around NE that they could just fill in the numbers. I would do it in a flash if i had access to the QPF!

LOL is it really that necessary to get QPF instantly? What the heck. Look at the models and read some, the QPF for the euro will be out instantly, this is getting really crazy.

It's not fun trying to read through 15-20 pages of posts trying to find a simple answer to a question when it can answered and much more readily available it was posted in a location where it isn't going to be buried threads full of met bashing and people saying "so and so" is wrong and all crap about people whining and complaining just b/c a model doesn't show what they want so it has to be wrong.

LOL is it really that necessary to get QPF instantly? What the heck. Look at the models and read some, the QPF for the euro will be out instantly, this is getting really crazy.

Actually, combining the two ideas would be ideal for me.

If a Tombo type table is posted, then I can know ahaead of time what I am looking at...

Just as a teaching tool.

If I know that the 12z Euro has ORH at 1.1" qpf, then I can look at the Euro and say, oh, so that is what it means.

Not saying it is helpful for a lot of folks, but for me, that would be nice.

It would great if someone in our region could be as nice as tombo and take the time to just make a map and post it somewhere that it isn't going to get buried in minutes. If nobody really thinks this is a great idea than no biggie, but it would cut down significantly on the number of posts in the threads asking for QPF and such.

Not sure that ECMWF would not have something to say about amounts being posted explicitly.

Its one thing if it gets into a conversation in the middle of a huge thread but start to put it in its own thread on a regular basis and I'd bet someone at ECMWF notices and puts a stop to it.

Not sure that ECMWF would not have something to say about amounts being posted explicitly.

Its one thing if it gets into a conversation in the middle of a huge thread but start to put it in its own thread on a regular basis and I'd bet someone at ECMWF notices and puts a stop to it.

How would they have any idea where it's coming from?

How would they have any idea where it's coming from?

The person using the QPF data would have to know where its coming from by some means. If not a thread title "ECMWF QPF DATA" than some other way.

Sure come up with a secret code name or something, that might work.

I'm just saying neither the ECMWF nor any of the people who provide the data for $$ want the data disseminated explicitly for free. Do it out in the open and, from experience, they will come telling you to get it out of the public domain. Happened at our school with some maps we had "public" for a while back in 2005.Granted conversation is different than maps but in their minds, you are likely crossing a line when you explicitly post data for everyone to see.

The person using the QPF data would have to know where its coming from by some means. If not a thread title "ECMWF QPF DATA" than some other way.

Sure come up with a secret code name or something, that might work.

I'm just saying neither the ECMWF nor any of the people who provide the data for $$ want the data disseminated explicitly for free. Do it out in the open and, from experience, they will come telling you to get it out of the public domain. Happened at our school with some maps we had "public" for a while back in 2005.Granted conversation is different than maps but in their minds, you are likely crossing a line when you explicitly post data for everyone to see.

Taking output numbers for stations and telling people what they are is illegal? Dear God

Taking output numbers for stations and telling people what they are is illegal? Dear God

Telling your friend sitting next to you is quite different than posting it up online for all to see.

I don't know about "illegal"; prob could get sued for it in some way or another if it became a common thing. The people who provide the data on the pay sites specifically say not to disseminate it any place else. ECMWF themselves will give grief if they notice, I watched it happen once.

All I'm saying is having a thread, forum, whatever that you regularly post the data in starts to border on disseminating the data freely, not just "telling a friend".

Don't get me wrong, I hate the ECMWF's draconian BS as much as anybody, I'm just trying to explain why such a setup as described by the OP may not be feasible for the board.

Telling your friend sitting next to you is quite different than posting it up online for all to see.

I don't know about "illegal"; prob could get sued for it in some way or another if it became a common thing. The people who provide the data on the pay sites specifically say not to disseminate it any place else. ECMWF themselves will give grief if they notice, I watched it happen once.

All I'm saying is having a thread, forum, whatever that you regularly post the data in starts to border on disseminating the data freely, not just "telling a friend".

Don't get me wrong, I hate the ECMWF's draconian BS as much as anybody, I'm just trying to explain why such a setup as described by the OP may not be feasible for the board.

[/quote If I pay for it then it is mine as long as I do not put up there product but rather interpret it for others non issue.

Archived