Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL January 25-27 Potential Bomb Part 6

earthlight

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EWR was in the heaviest band in the Dec 26 storm and saw 24" of snow with 1.64" liquid equivalent. I highly doubt anyone in NJ saw more than 2" of liquid equivalent, given that ratios were around 15 to 1.

I'd love the suny MM5, although its not exactly dec 26th material. some parts of eastern NJ saw 2-2.5" QPF from that storm, and this model only shows 1.75" at best (comparable to recent EMCWF runs), with paltry ratios coming from the marginally cold 1000-800mb layer. I'd say a max of 18" along the southern half of the NJTurnpike from staten island to about wilmington, DE would fall on this run. That said, its an amazing depiction by a model that has been known for nailing mesoscale bands

EWR was in the heaviest band in the Dec 26 storm and saw 24" of snow with 1.64" liquid equivalent. I highly doubt anyone in NJ saw more than 2" of liquid equivalent, given that ratios were around 15 to 1.

I don't think anyone in the immediate NYC metro area saw above 12:1 ratios from that storm. The snow growth wasn't optimal with all the wind.

Did any of the new flight recon make it to tonights runs? I seriously cannot remember the last time I saw perfect model unanimity at 48 - 60 hrs out.

Recon tomorrow for 12Z and 00Z runs. I think the 12Z gets both PAC and Atlantic data, 00Z gets Atlantic data only. Then Wed 12Z will have data too from Atlantic, last time I saw Recon schedule.

Given the very cold temps over the past few days, snow should stick well on pavement even with sfc temps in the mid 30s.

One only has to compare the last two runs of the SREF's (which normally are somewhat consistent) which made huge changes in only 6 hrs. It literally went from 8+ in. for Scranton, PA to flurries. We can't take this to the bank until tomorrow nigh, I'm sorry to say. This is especially true in this sort of setup where if you aren't under the CCB, you're screwed (with marginal temps, we are going to need heavy snow to really bring down the surface temps and get anything to stick well on pavement).

Euro and UKMET are tucked in pretty close to the Delmarva at 48hrs. The GFS and GGEM are NE of there with the NAM a bit further out. GEFS finally starting to look like the Euro and Euro ensembles. :thumbsup:

A compromise between the 0z Euro and GFS would yield a golden solution for PHL through NYC corridor. This is what HPC and local offices are likely to identify as the preferable forecast. High QPF and just cold enough. Almost the perfect outcome for metro areas.

It's somewhat unusual to see the Euro printing out widespread 1.5 inch liquid for a medium duration event in the short term. It's one of, if not the most accurate model with respect to short range QPF and does not frequently overdo this parameter. NAM, MM5, and the hi-res models go bonkers with QPF often, but seeing this on the Euro has to raise eyebrows.

exact QPF for select PA locations

ABE 1.04 (850's below whole time)

RDG 1.09 (850's below whole time)

LNS 1.18 (850's below whole time)

MDT .71 (850 below whole time)

PHL 1.59 ( 850 are above for at least .39 of that)

MPO .71 (850 below whole time)

PTW 1.34 (850 reach .4 after a period of .32")

THV (york)- .98 (850 below whole time)

AVP- .42 (850 below through out

Recon tomorrow for 12Z and 00Z runs. I think the 12Z gets both PAC and Atlantic data, 00Z gets Atlantic data only. Then Wed 12Z will have data too from Atlantic, last time I saw Recon schedule.

Thanks, I m guessing Mt holly and upton will likely wait and see until 12 z runs before issuing any warnings or advisories.That is if, still big if, tonights hold serve.

Euro and UKMET are tucked in pretty close to the Delmarva at 48hrs. The GFS and GGEM are NE of there with the NAM a bit further out. GEFS finally starting to look like the Euro and Euro ensembles. :thumbsup:

A compromise between the 0z Euro and GFS would yield a golden solution for PHL through NYC corridor. This is what HPC and local offices are likely to identify as the preferable forecast. High QPF and just cold enough. Almost the perfect outcome for metro areas.

It's somewhat unusual to see the Euro printing out widespread 1.5 inch liquid for a medium duration event in the short term. It's one of, if not the most accurate model with respect to short range QPF and does not frequently overdo this parameter. NAM, MM5, and the hi-res models go bonkers with QPF often, but seeing this on the Euro has to raise eyebrows.

Agree 100% regarding the Euro QPF, this will certainly set off the alarms over at HPC. I use the Hi-Res models to narrow down QPF ranges but I don't take the QPF values they depict litterally.

Someone please for the love of G-d help me out. I'm moving overseas to Israel this Wednesday till June and this will be the last chance I see snow this winter. Someone please tell me that my flight at 6pm will be cancelled and I'll get to see this snow...

ukmet

P1_GZ_D5_PN_042_0000.gif

P1_GZ_D5_PN_048_0000.gif

P1_GZ_D5_PN_060_0000.gif

Agree 100% regarding the Euro QPF, this will certainly set off the alarms over at HPC. I use the Hi-Res models to narrow down QPF ranges but I don't take the QPF values they depict litterally.

I have a picture in my head of alarms literally sounding throughout an office building and people running around freaking out. It makes me smile. A few blobs or streaks of 1.5 liquid on the ARW is just not the same kind of thing as a QPF stripe of this magnitude on the Euro. And this isn't one of those exotic day 7 fantasy storms that every model draws up on occasion.

I use the hi-res the same way you describe. Well said.

eastern monmouth and ocean counties were under that band for much longer, and nobody got over 30". KACY officially had a LE of 1.76" but only 20" of accumulation (11.4:1 ratio), so its easy to assume the places that got 30" just up the coast had to have at least 2-2.5" LE

exact QPF for select PA locations

ABE 1.04 (850's below whole time)

RDG 1.09 (850's below whole time)

LNS 1.18 (850's below whole time)

MDT .71 (850 below whole time)

PHL 1.59 ( 850 are above for at least .39 of that)

MPO .71 (850 below whole time)

PTW 1.34 (850 reach .4 after a period of .32")

THV (york)- .98 (850 below whole time)

AVP- .42 (850 below through out

What do you mean when you say "850s reach .4 after a period of .32"? Does that mean 1.02" is snow?

Thanks for all the pbp and everyones opinions and information. What will the winds be like during the night on Wenesday for the Phila area? does anyone think blizzard watches will be put up in the Phila/NYC area?

No. It'll be windy, but not blizzard-level. Likely 15-25mph at best for coastal counties, 10-20mph inland. the NAM had 25-30mph winds along the immediate coast (and by that i mean just the beaches), but thats about it.

Archived