• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Great Snow of 1717

donsutherland1

As some references to the "Great Snow" of 1717 have been made, the following is a file that describes that remarkable episode in New England history.

Don I work at the Mashantucket Museum and Research Center in Ledyard Ct. We have extensive first hand written accounts from settlers and Natives alike, spent a lot of lunch hours reading those in special collections, they are researchers only stuff but I got an in LOL

Don I work own and operate the Mashantucket Museum and Research Center in Ledyard Ct. We have extensive first hand written accounts from settlers and Natives alike, spent a lot of lunch hours reading those in special collections, they are researchers only stuff but I got an in LOL

Don't sell yourself short. How do the People correlate dates with Western dating methods?

Dude if I owned that I would have my own supercomputer. Ginxy's Geo , you think the GFS spits out fantasy storms?

Seriously, do you know how years are tracked? Do they have a system? I always wondered about that. There must be some amazing records and artifacts in your place. And no, you are not an artifact...

Don I work at the Mashantucket Museum and Research Center in Ledyard Ct. We have extensive first hand written accounts from settlers and Natives alike, spent a lot of lunch hours reading those in special collections, they are researchers only stuff but I got an in LOL

It must have been a real treat to have a chance to read the first-hand accounts of that extraordinary event.

It must have been a real treat to have a chance to read the first-hand accounts of that extraordinary event.

Not only that one but many others, the 1815? hurricane reads are sad. I used Ludlums book for reference, some of the books I had to wear white gloves to look through. It is a great weather resource to have everyday although I seldom have the time to utilize it properly. My copies of Ludlums books are tattered from the years of reading and retracing, a great resource for new weather enthusiasts. Thank you for doing what you do.

Seriously, do you know how years are tracked? Do they have a system? I always wondered about that. There must be some amazing records and artifacts in your place. And no, you are not an artifact...

I do not quite understand the question. There is an archivist whose only job is to catalog and track. Yes, as a research and collections museum it is amazing what is there. Robert Ballard sometimes stores artifacts, we had dead sea artifacts he retrieved here for a while. It is my job to make sure all that stuff is kept climate controlled under strict guidelines, reason why I am stressed and work ungodly hours, little bit of pressure and a lot of value to protect. As much as I love the weather, severity of any kind is my worst enemy, ironic that I root for it yet it makes my work life unbearable but worth it. I love my job and have the best staff in the world making it easier.

1717 will happen again, that much I have learned, weather history repeats itself.

I do not quite understand the question. There is an archivist whose only job is to catalog and track. Yes, as a research and collections museum it is amazing what is there. Robert Ballard sometimes stores artifacts, we had dead sea artifacts he retrieved here for a while. It is my job to make sure all that stuff is kept climate controlled under strict guidelines, reason why I am stressed and work ungodly hours, little bit of pressure and a lot of value to protect. As much as I love the weather, severity of any kind is my worst enemy, ironic that I root for it yet it makes my work life unbearable but worth it. I love my job and have the best staff in the world making it easier.

1717 will happen again, that much I have learned, weather history repeats itself.

Like, if an event (1717 winter for example) happened... we call it 1717 AD (or whatever it is called now... BCE?).. what do the Pequots use as a numbering system for the year?

Did they/do they have a written language? I sort of raced through the place and need to visit again.

Oral histories are great but our society seems to have trouble with traditions and the like.

Ballard is awesome. My mom did some work with him at URI a few years ago

Like, if an event (1717 winter for example) happened... we call it 1717 AD (or whatever it is called now... BCE?).. what do the Pequots use as a numbering system for the year?

Did they/do they have a written language? I sort of raced through the place and need to visit again.

Oral histories are great but our society seems to have trouble with traditions and the like.

Ballard is awesome. My mom did some work with him at URI a few years ago

I do not know but will ask the question. The staff who work there are amazing in their knowledge. Yes they spoke and wrote Aloqonquin.

I do not know but will ask the question. The staff who work there are amazing in their knowledge. Yes they spoke and wrote Aloqonquin.

Insta answer, got to love FB

Steve same as we do today.....before european contact months were counted by the moon...and years were associated with events or prominent people....it was an oral tradition so everyone knew all the stories and histories told around the fire during the winter......but time was more fluid than what we mark it as now....

4 minutes ago · Like

Insta answer, got to love FB

Steve same as we do today.....before european contact months were counted by the moon...and years were associated with events or prominent people....it was an oral tradition so everyone knew all the stories and histories told around the fire during the winter......but time was more fluid than what we mark it as now....

4 minutes ago · Like

Cool!

Another neat thing about today is the whole Google Books project. Some great old texts, including info about 1717, have been scanned and avail for you to read in feetie pajamas

Whose model handled the storm better? I understand Providence Plantation was still using the Roger Williams model which had serious issues caused by its wall of separation between the upper and midlevels of the atmosphere and its incorrect SST's caused by oceans of blood..

Whose model handled the storm better? I understand Providence Plantation was still using the Roger Williams model which had serious issues caused by its wall of separation between the upper and midlevels of the atmosphere and its incorrect SST's caused by oceans of blood..

Throw it out, garbage model.:arrowhead: 10-15 feet, lollies to 24 feet

Perhaps the 30-minute model from Reading, UK did a little better?

Archived