Jump to content

ORH_wxman

Moderator Meteorologist
  • Posts

    93,110
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ORH_wxman

  1. Yeah feel free to start a new thread for it. Prob the easiest way. Maybe @dendrite can chime in.
  2. This is pretty nice. One thing I personally like is seeing a few number values plotted on the actual map but not sure if that’s too difficult if you have so many obs.
  3. That’s pretty awesome. My grandparents had a full nut-producing American Chestnut tree in their backyard in the 1980s and into the early 1990s. We noticed the trunk started cracking in about 1993 or 1994 and by 1995 it was clearly going to kill the tree so they cut it down. I didn’t realize until years later how relatively rare it was to still have a fully mature healthy tree like that as late as the early 1990s. But it made sense in retrospect because they lived out in the sticks and had a huge yard....and the tree was toward the middle of the yard away from any other trees. The isolation probably kept it alive for so long. I knew someone who had one that was healthy even a lot more recently than that but it eventually succumbed around 8-10 years ago.
  4. Did you go on the statewide meetings back in August? My wife was on a couple of them and it seemed like the elementary school teachers in particular were pushing back a lot on the "100% remote learning, no compromises" type solution she was hammering home. At the end of the day, the district union reps seem to do more of the negotiating anyways, but it seemed weird that she was out of touch with a lot of the union base on that. Like, the teachers were absolutely concerned about safety, but so many were saying "we need to find a way to get into the classroom but safely"....esp the teachers of younger kids. For high schoolers, it felt a little less urgent.
  5. LOL...I like the October snow reference there. The dry humor is even better coming from Jspin considering how meticulous he is with statistics/data.
  6. There's been more reluctance to have elementary school age kids go remote here. We've seen the high schools be more willing to cancel in-person and go remote if a case pops up vs the younger kids. It makes sense as the younger kids are hurt more by remote and they can't do it from home by themselves like high schoolers can....they obviously need a parent home. As someone once said, there are no solutions, just trade-offs.
  7. My wife is a teacher. Unions definitely didn’t want full in-person...and for good reason. Having 30 high schoolers packed into a small room with shitty ventilation is about the least ideal setup. Her district ended up doing hybrid. Class sizes stay below 14. Most of her classes are single digits. Kids get broken into cohorts and they go in person 2 days per week with Wednesday being a remote day for everyone (to keep each cohort getting the same number of in-person each week)
  8. They are useful if most people wear them (as they will limit the horizontal projection of virus when someone breaths out or coughs)....but if there's someone near you not wearing a mask, then the cloth ones won't help much.
  9. Keep national politics stuff out of here (just deleted a couple posts)....I know it can be related, but this isn't the thread for it.
  10. 2018 and 2019 were both extreme cold/snowy Novembers in NNE. Definitely not the norm. Hell, even down here in 2018, we had like 10 days of snow pack which is crazy....usually November snow melts within a day or two down here.
  11. We have a deck heater and may have a couple family members over assuming it's not too cold on T-day.
  12. Which really isn't defensible if a vaccine is widely available by spring. If it is not widely available until next fall, then yeah.
  13. Yeah it's hard for me to envision people going along with status quo restrictions into summer 2021 when the weather gets nice again.....assuming we have a working vaccine that's been widely available for a couple months at that point. I think that's the main mitigating factor....if we'll have enough vaccine availability throughout spring 2021. Hopefully we do.
  14. This is getting too political for here.......but I mean, maybe they would? These people are still going to be driven by public sentiment at the end of the day. Some people will probably want to stay in lockdown mode, but I think you will see the groundswell start to occur in the opposite direction after a certain amount of time has passed with the vaccine widely available. You're also going to have cases plummeting because of this. That's going to be a very hard tide to fight and most politicians care about one thing....their jobs. The only difficulty I can foresee with the lifting of restrictions is if the vaccine isn't available to enough people yet.
  15. I think a certain amount of time after it has been available to everyone is the fairest route. Tracking who has taken it is a train wreck. For the sake of argument, lets say it is finally available to everyone in March (I assume high risk will have already had the option to take it before this), by June, you should have no restrictions at all. If you are still scared of the virus months later, then you can shelter away or decide to take the vaccine. If you don't take the vaccine, that's your problem, not society's.
  16. It's because they are giving up something for doing that. Dogs are excellent explosive detectors, but they can't see if you hide a non-metal knife in your pocket like a body scanner can. I agree it's pretty silly to waste time searching for non-metal weapons, but that's the game.
  17. If you think about what they are actually eliminating with body scans and shoes being taken off, it's not 9/11 type threats. Those were eliminated with cockpit door reinforcements. The "threat" they are mitigating is maybe a random wack job who tries and puts C4 in his shoe or tries to hide a non-metal knife in his pocket that metal detectors wouldn't pick up....or someone who wants to light a bottle of shampoo on fire by hiding flammable liquid in it. When you stop to think how ridiculous these are compared to the extra steps beyond just walking through the metal detector and putting your bags through x-ray machine (these were the pre-9/11 procedures), it starts to make more (or less?) sense.
  18. Yep, we had to get my two boys done for their daycare....did it a couple weeks ago.
  19. I remember reading that the amount of money it costs society to go through the TSA lines was something ridiculous. I'm talking lost economic activity due to the time and disincentives to fly, not just the cost of staff (which was minuscule by comparison). I'll have to find the paper, but I was thinking how much more useful it would be for that money to be spent on stuff that actually helps people.
  20. There's a few required....polio was one...MMR is another I remember being required (and I think it still is)
  21. I'm definitely not, but it has been normalized so we don't feel like it's a huge deal anymore. We think that hopping a flight from Chicago to Denver requires us to get body scanned and shoes taken off while standing in long security lines. 99.9% of the 9/11 risk was eliminated when they reinforced the cockpit doors.
  22. Haven't had the pleasure of flying their first class yet....I've done it on other domestic airlines though over the years (usually getting lucky by being bumped to FC) Best economy I ever flew though was Emirates when I flew to Dubai....their economy was like first class on domestic airlines. For the 13 hour flight, you got 3 meals plus a "snack" and alcoholic beverages were free.
  23. Jet blue is awesome....I fly them to Buffalo every year when I meet up with old college buddies for a football game (unfortunately not this year). But they are always so easy and I don't think I've had any delays with them. I did delta once or twice and they suck....got delayed 2 hours leaving BUF airport.
  24. This is starting to get too political for the wx side....but I don't think the population will have any sort of appetite for flu-related lockdowns. They barely have it for covid without a vaccine.
×
×
  • Create New...