• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Tropical Storm Karen

IsentropicLift

The 00z ECMWF took a step towards the GFS with a more easterly track but still remains on the western side of the guidance envelop. The GFS and the GGEM both bring the center of remnant Karen nearly right up I-95 and over the area next Monday-Tuesday. The 06z GFS spit out 2-3" of rainfall and the 00z GGEM dumps the core of the rain right over most of the region. In addition some of the modeling has been showing the potential for gales at the coast. The 18z GFS yesterday with a more westerly track had gusts to 60kts at the beaches. If a more westerly track is realized this might become a major issue for the still recovering coastal areas. Of course a more easterly track could setup a nasty scenario of tropical moisture over running the frontal boundry moving in from the west. The combination could produce some inland river flooding. Overall it looks like we have some pretty good concensus for some impacts from Karen in the NYC metro.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Imperator

Is this really necessary? The most we would be dealing with is heavy rain from any remnants. Im sure this could be covered in the October thread.

Is this really necessary? The most we would be dealing with is heavy rain from any remnants. Im sure this could be covered in the October thread.

In theory this will prevent all the Karen talk from cluttering the main thread. But since there's not much else to talk about I'm sure there will be posts in both threads

Whenever we have tropical energy involved, we're bound to pick up some heavier rainfall so 2-3" would not surprise me at all. Of course this will all depend on where it ultimately tracks and perhaps any additional baroclinic interaction. We shall see if the Euro trends more toward the gfs or stays its own entity. 

low OHC in the gulf, increasing shear, and the euro shows under an inch with the ens mean even less

With all due respect, the Euro hasn't been stellar with this system thus far. I think the chances of no impact are slim to none considering you have a tropical system coming up through the gulf and riding along a cold front. It will have a direct moisture connection from the Gulf to work with.

Unless you consider 2-3" of rain in a short period with locally higher amounts a non-event.

With all due respect, the Euro hasn't been stellar with this system thus far. I think the chances of no impact are slim to none considering you have a tropical system coming up through the gulf and riding along a cold front. It will have a direct moisture connection from the Gulf to work with.

Unless you consider 2-3" of rain in a short period with locally higher amounts a non-event.

However, seasonally, the Euro has been spot on with its forecasts of non development of various waves and minimal Tropical storms...so let's see if this develops or not as it gets further into the gulf.  I think the Euro forecast of not much of a system has to be considered.  With that said, even a disorganized area of tropical rains could impact us given the correct track and any enhancement from a cold front etc.

low OHC in the gulf, increasing shear, and the euro shows under an inch with the ens mean even less

Yeah the shear is my number one concern right now. Definitely shouldn't be anything stronger than a 70-75mph cyclone at landfall, but most likely a low-mid end tropical storm. 12Z guidance seems to be leaning in the direction of the weaker Euro for landfall. Should be interesting if the Euro changes at all today.

However, seasonally, the Euro has been spot on with its forecasts of non development of various waves and minimal Tropical storms...so let's see if this develops or not as it gets further into the gulf.  I think the Euro forecast of not much of a system has to be considered.  With that said, even a disorganized area of tropical rains could impact us given the correct track and any enhancement from a cold front etc.

It's already a 55kt Tropical Storm, significant development has occured.

Guest Imperator

With all due respect, you are bound to get burned if you keep hugging particular models while discounting all the others. Not to say one or the other will verify, but when you keep posting maps of the model that shows the result you want, as opposed to evaluating everything together (like a professional or a serious wanna-be professional would do), your credibility goes down.

With all due respect, you are bound to get burned if you keep hugging particular models while discounting all the others. Not to say one or the other will verify, but when you keep posting maps of the model that shows the result you want, as opposed to evaluating everything together (like a professional or a serious wanna-be professional would do), your credibility goes down.

Well I have acknowledged the Euro solution, but I can't post the paid images that I have access to here. The GGEM as we all know is useless as a tropical model. What else would you prefer me to post? BTW the 12z Canadian gets the moisture up here, just delayed. Then shows a TC backing into the US coast again from Bermuda late next week (yeah....like that's going to happen).

Not to mention that the 12z Euro hasn't come out yet.

Archived