Welcome to American Weather
  • Announcements

• Wow

BOARD UPGRADE   07/13/2016

As you have noticed, the board has been given a major upgrade.  There are still currently a lot of processes running in the background to complete the upgrade so expect some slow periods.  If you come across any errors, please feel free to post in the Forum Info forum to let us know.  IMPORTANT: YOU MUST LOGIN WITH YOUR DISPLAY NAME.  LOGIN NAMES ARE NO LONGER USED TO LOGIN. Thanks for your patience today!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snow88

2013 Farmers Almanac Winter Outlook

16 posts in this topic

[img]http://www.farmersalmanac.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2013USFA-Winter-Map-SMALL.jpg[/img]

[url="http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2012/08/26/will-winter-return-with-a-vengeance/"]http://www.farmersal...th-a-vengeance/[/url]

nice analog for me. 79.5", which included the Pres. Day storm.. 32" Sunday into Monday (16th-17th) and then 4" Monday Pm into Tuesday (17th-18th) and who can forget X-Mas eve into X-mas...

[quote name='Snow88' timestamp='1346938998' post='1732439']
I had close to 40 inches that winter.
[/quote]
southern Brooklyn averages less snow than Central Park...I lived on 64ST which was in the SW part and we always changed to rain before the city...I remember many times this happened...This leads to less snow on average...I measured around 48" in 1993-94...5" less than CP...1995-96 I had 72"...CP had 76"...the Feb. 1995 storm changed to rain at least an hour before the city and I ended up with 8" while the city got 11"...

[quote name='uncle W' timestamp='1346939781' post='1732457']
[b]southern Brooklyn averages less snow than Central Park..[/b].I lived on 64ST which was in the SW part and we always changed to rain before the city...I remember many times this happened...This leads to less snow on average...I measured around 48" in 1993-94...5" less than CP...1995-96 I had 72"...CP had 76"...the Feb. 1995 storm changed to rain at least an hour before the city and I ended up with 8" while the city got 11"...
[/quote]

Yes but not all the time.

[quote name='snywx' timestamp='1346951286' post='1732711']
That yr Orange County ranged from 90-100".. Bring it on! :)

I lived in Highland Mills that winter and I received 93"..
[/quote]

why does Harriman seem to jackpot all the time? There are places with better elevation nearby, no?

[quote name='BxEngine' timestamp='1346951542' post='1732716']

why does Harriman seem to jackpot all the time? There are places with better elevation nearby, no?
[/quote]

It truly is amazing how from Harriman to Woodbury ( Central Valley, Highland Mills) & Monroe jackpot EVERY single time. True def. of a microclimate. Its no secret in Orange County..

[/quote]

A weenie observer there?

In all seriousness, it might have to do with the relative surrounding terrain too. There are areas west of me at similar elevation, but definitely get less snow overall due to downsloping.

[/quote]

My guess would be upslope off the Hudson Highlands & Schnemunk Mtn ( Highest pt in the county)..

[quote name='snywx' timestamp='1346951754' post='1732725']

My guess would be upslope off the Hudson Highlands & Schnemunk Mtn ( Highest pt in the county)..
[/quote]

Thats always been my guess too.

[quote name='CooL' timestamp='1346953545' post='1732765']
How's the stratosphere doing? it better be warming..
[/quote]

According to AMSU Temps, the Stratosphere at 2.5 hPa is slightly warmer than 2011.